SUNY - Extent of Living Expenses (other than rent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious5321

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is clear that renting an apartment in New York City can be quite expensive, but I was wondering if other living expenses besides rent are more expensive in New York like food, clothes, etc. than in other cities. I am trying to decide between SUNY and NECO and when looking at renting in BOTH cities, if I want to be near the school it will cost an arm and a leg, but I really want to know how the other living expenses would compare.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1 month unlimited metro card = $76 (around that). If you live close to school transportation costs are minimal. Cabs aren't even that bad, unless you live in Queens.

NY has Freshdirect.com, see if Boston has something similar and you can compare cost of groceries. In warm months you can buy produce off the street and it's even more reasonable.

Clothing is everywhere and how much you spend depends on your taste and patience for shopping. Tax free up until a certain amount. You can haggle with street vendors.

Cocktails = $11 in some places. If you're a drinker you'll spend a lot at the bar. A beer will run you $6. This was a shock for someone who came straight from a college town where beer was about $1. This obviously isn't an expense that is required. Typically no cover at bars.

That's all I can think of.

What about rent? How much does the average OD student pay for a decent place? My friend at NYU dental was scaring me about it since she pays $1400.00 for a studio (bachelor) apt....

Members don't see this ad :)
What about rent? How much does the average OD student pay for a decent place? My friend at NYU dental was scaring me about it since she pays $1400.00 for a studio (bachelor) apt....

that is a good deal

That is a good deal! I live in midtown and I pay 1600, which is actually pretty good, since I can just walk over to school. If cost of living is the decisive factor, I would go with SUNY. I was in your shoes last year, and I did a very detailed comparison of the two, and SUNY came out to be the cheapest, even with the high cost of living. After a year, your tuition will only be like 13000ish, something NECO can't even compare to! And after all, it is New York City ;)
As far as other things are concerned..food is cheap, depends on where you eat though. I eat out almost everyday, and it's about 10 bucks a day. Groceries..expensive in midtown, but everywhere else it's okay. Clothes/shopping: ranges from really cheap to really expensive!! But I <3 shopping in NY..a girl's dream come true :love:
Going out: Not bad at all. Most places have happy hours..partying in NY don't compare to partying in Boston!
So overall, it's not that bad. I think NECO is more expensive, because living in Boston is almost as bad as NY.