SUNY MD Schools

Started by Hedwig
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hedwig

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How difficult is it to get into the SUNY schools if you're a NYS resident? What kind of stats would an applicant need?

Thanks!
 
I heard that SUNY MD schools do not give preference to NY state residents starting this year...It's gonna be tougher to get in as a NY resident competing against many qualified out-of-staters from now on... 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that SUNY syracuse (aka Upstate) does not give preference to NYS residents. NYS residents are eligible for reduced tuition, but out-of-staters who atten Syracuse can apply for residency after their first year, enabling them to take advantage of the lower tuition. I think the other three SUNY schools gave preference to NYS residents this year, but don't know if they'll change in the future.
 
Possibly, i heard that all SUNY's were under the same procedure this year, but I could be wrong...
I know SUNY downstate accepted many out of staters this year already...
 
i know for a fact that stony brook rarely ever accepts out of state. there's like 1 a year and that's it.
 
When I was interviewing at SUNY Upstate in November, the admissions director was telling us that there was a proposal not to give preference to NYS residents in the future. However, all SUNY schools are still operating on the basis that preference is given to NYS residents. :clap:
 
Okay, okay, okay, tuition and residency aside, how competitive is admission to SUNY medical school--for NYS and non-NYS residents--and what are the average stats for students there?

Thanks again 😛
 
you might try visiting the web pages for the schools...i know syracuse lists its avg. stats on theirs. (sorry i didn't post the info. here, but im too lazy to look up each one, since i only applied to syr.)
 
I am not sure about the other SUNY med school. But for Stony Brook, I believe the avg. stats were 3.6 and 32 combined score. This is straight for the secretary at the Medschool Grace Angette. She went over the numbers when I attended an open house there.