SUNY or PCO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPL

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between SUNY and PCO. Would any of you know the pros and cons of these two schools? Which school do you think offers a better clinical program? I heard that the clinic at SUNY isn't as good/busy at its new location. Would any of you know anything about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi DPL -- I applied to both schools and will be going to SUNY this fall. I liked PCO a lot, particularly because of their "new curriculum" which has added so many additional patient contact hours and shifted around the coursework timing. I probably would have chosen PCO if Philly had worked out for my husband job-wise. I just liked the school a lot, and it felt like the right place for me when I interviewed there. SUNY's program is more traditional, but I like the small class size and the location is great. I also liked the people I met there, and it felt like a good place for me.

I don't know if the clinic has slowed down at SUNY since it moved, but the day I was there (I had an eye exam there a couple months ago so I could check out the school again ;) ) it was pretty busy. The students I talked with there said they also do exams at a school uptown, so maybe they have additional opportunities for patient contact outside of the clinic.

I don't know if any of this helps you. I think -- as many other posters have mentioned in other threads -- that you'll get a good education at just about any school, it just comes down to which one you like the most. Choose the place you want to live in for 3+ years, and try to talk to as many students as you can to see if they're the type of people you'd like to have as colleagues.

Good luck, and remember to choose SUNY. :D
...just kidding...