SUNY Stony Brook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prominence

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed that have a been a number of candidates who have interviewed at this program, but no one has reviewed it. I beleive this program has some strong points, such as:

Busy Psych ER
High salary, but location is expensive and in the middle of nowhere
Good Exposure to psychiatric pathology
Tons of Research Opportunities, if interested

However, on my interview day, I couldn't get a clear impression of:

how happy the residents were
how the well the residents got along
how busy their schedule was
their working relationships with the attendings

If any current residents in the program or those familiar with it could share their thoughts regarding this program, I would appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

prominence said:
I have noticed that have a been a number of candidates who have interviewed at this program, but no one has reviewed it. I beleive this program has some strong points, such as:

Busy Psych ER
High salary, but location is expensive and in the middle of nowhere
Good Exposure to psychiatric pathology
Tons of Research Opportunities, if interested

However, on my interview day, I couldn't get a clear impression of:

how happy the residents were
how the well the residents got along
how busy their schedule was
their working relationships with the attendings

If any current residents in the program or those familiar with it could share their thoughts regarding this program, I would appreciate it.

I didn't go to the program, but I interviewed there. I don't know if its standard, but I got a letter from the program director asking me to go to the program as if it seemed like I was a favorable candidate.

In any case, while I haven't gone to Stony Brook, I can tell you they have a solid research program, a diverse patient population, and the area is nice to live in.

Many residency programs I interviewed at suffered from an extremely limited patient population, mostly being drug addicts and schizophrenics such as you'd see in most inner city hospitals. While these types of patients certainly are important, in most inner city residency programs, that's all you treat. You don't get to see & treat many other problems in the psychiatric spectrum such as Axis II, children, forensics etc. Stony Brook had many things to offer such as a child psychiatry program, eating disorder patients, among the other types of patient's you often don't get to see in other programs. The program services an entire county which is the reason why you get a varied population. They also got a SOLID research program.

Stony Brook wasn't #1 on my match list, but believe me, it was in the top 3. Only reason why I didn't put it as #1 was because I had very good friends in the program where I placed in that was my #1. Stony Brook certainly had many strengths and most of the residents I met there, some of which were my classmates in medschool were happy there.

I actually felt somewhat bad that I didn't go given how impressed I was with the program & the letters I got from the program director asking me to join.

Hope that helps. By the way, I'm current in the Robert Wood Johnson/UMDNJ Cooper University Hospital Program which services South Jersey if you have any questions.

James