SUNY students - question about NY state residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncalcate

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am as a Massachusetts native and I am really considering Buffalo or Stonybrook because of cost reasons.

I am thinking about moving to Buffalo this summer and establishing NY state residency. I would be applying to school to start in Fall 2005. On my AADSAS application, it would have my NY address (assuming I moved).

Will Buffalo or Stonybrook consider me an in-state applicant? I have every reason to believe that they will, since NY will be the state on my AADSAS application. I will be totally independent from my parents.

Has anyone done this before? Is this possible? Or do the SUNY schools have some clause I am not aware of that would prevent me from doing this. The last thing I would want to do is move to Buffalo and then find out I am still considered an out-of-stater.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Is there are time requirement to be considered a resident?
You have to have lived there for X number of years or months?

You have to be living here in NYS for at least one year to be considered a resident of the state..

That's how long Missus Slick Willie had to stick around so she could run for Senator. :D

http://www.suny.edu/Student/Paying/Residency.cfm

And... If you are going to move to Buffalo, you might want to look at living in Amherst.

Members don't see this ad :)
UBTom - thanks for the URL. I checked it out and it cleared up a lot of my questions regarding residency and tuition rates. In order to pay in-state tuition when you first start, you have to establish residency by July 1st of the year preceding the year you want to start. In my case, that is 7/1/2004 for the academic year starting 9/2005. I would have to prove this with documents AFTER I was admitted.

But BEFORE you are admitted, because your AADSAS application lists your home state as NY, does SUNY Buffalo Admissions assume that you are a NY resident? Since SUNY gives admissions preference to in-staters, it is to your advantage if they consider you a NY resident.

For all those in staters who applied to SUNY Buffalo, if your AADSAS app lists your home state as NY, must you prove you've lived in NY for at least a year BEFORE you are considered? As part of the application process, do you have to fill out any special forms to prove you're a resident before they consider you for an interview? Or do they just assume you're a NY resident because that is what you're AADSAS application says?

If anyone can answer this last question I would be very grateful!

I never filles out any special forms, I think they would just assume.

you can always call the admissions office to get a definate answer.