ncalcate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Hartford, CT
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I am as a Massachusetts native and I am really considering Buffalo or Stonybrook because of cost reasons.

I am thinking about moving to Buffalo this summer and establishing NY state residency. I would be applying to school to start in Fall 2005. On my AADSAS application, it would have my NY address (assuming I moved).

Will Buffalo or Stonybrook consider me an in-state applicant? I have every reason to believe that they will, since NY will be the state on my AADSAS application. I will be totally independent from my parents.

Has anyone done this before? Is this possible? Or do the SUNY schools have some clause I am not aware of that would prevent me from doing this. The last thing I would want to do is move to Buffalo and then find out I am still considered an out-of-stater.

Thanks for any input.

blankguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Is there are time requirement to be considered a resident?
You have to have lived there for X number of years or months?

About the Ads

ncalcate

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2003
Hartford, CT
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
UBTom - thanks for the URL. I checked it out and it cleared up a lot of my questions regarding residency and tuition rates. In order to pay in-state tuition when you first start, you have to establish residency by July 1st of the year preceding the year you want to start. In my case, that is 7/1/2004 for the academic year starting 9/2005. I would have to prove this with documents AFTER I was admitted.

But BEFORE you are admitted, because your AADSAS application lists your home state as NY, does SUNY Buffalo Admissions assume that you are a NY resident? Since SUNY gives admissions preference to in-staters, it is to your advantage if they consider you a NY resident.

For all those in staters who applied to SUNY Buffalo, if your AADSAS app lists your home state as NY, must you prove you've lived in NY for at least a year BEFORE you are considered? As part of the application process, do you have to fill out any special forms to prove you're a resident before they consider you for an interview? Or do they just assume you're a NY resident because that is what you're AADSAS application says?

If anyone can answer this last question I would be very grateful!

spooky42

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2003
ny
Status (Visible)
I never filles out any special forms, I think they would just assume.

you can always call the admissions office to get a definate answer.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.