SUNY "TOO DIFFICULT" ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokulele

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently took a tour of SUNY and to my surprise, the 1st & 2nd year students I spoke with had a fairly negative view on their own school. They said it was ridiculously difficult there compared to other schools. They also regret choosing the school, and even advised that we not go there unless we can handle the high volume of work & stress. Many of them even said that although SUNY has a high percentage rate of students passing the boards, they felt that we can get as good of an education elsewhere, as well.

I was pretty shocked to hear SUNY students vent about all of this so I was just wondering if anyone else toured SUNY as well, and if so, did the students you met express the same sentiments?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How would they know how difficult it is compared to other schools? Have they attended the other schools? I doubt it. They've probably talked to a few people who attend different school and from that, have decided that SUNY is "ridiculously difficult". And you can get that same sob story from 1st or 2nd years at any school. Not ALL 1st and 2nd years, but the ones who spend every waking second studying for tests because they can't handle getting a B+.

I also just toured SUNY and got the same response from the 1st AND 2nd years. Basically, they said that their undergrads (UCSD, and UCLA, to name a few) were a breeze compared to the work-load at SUNY.

They compare themselves by looking at the numbers of classes they take, as well as talking to other students from other opt. schools. They said that as SUNY students, they have A LOT less free time then the students from other schools. Also, SUNY seems to have more students drop due to academic reasons, at least compared to PCO (which I also toured). PCO's students also said it was very difficult, but not to the extent of discouraging applying there. Also, no one regretted attending PCO, like some SUNY students did.

Overall though, I don't think that should discourage anyone from going to SUNY because they do give a lot of chances to retake classes and what not. Also, don't forget that their board scores are one of the best, and so is their clinical studies. From my tour, I could see they have every department from lasik, to vision therapy (which PCO did not have); as well as the most modern, and most equipped rooms.

Members don't see this ad :)
you must have interviewed during exam week :laugh: I'm sure SUNY is no harder than UCBSO, OSU, or UHCO.

:eek: they should do enough research about the work load before getting themselves into this field. to graduate from healthcare professional schools is no easy task! of course it's gonna be difficult!! same in all schools.

cpw said:
you must have interviewed during exam week :laugh:
:laugh: ...Or maybe you toured with a 2nd year student -- 3rd quarter of the 2nd year is *ridiculous* at SUNY, they take 9 classes plus they have to prepare for a final practical which determines whether they get to go on the 3rd year clinic. It's a bit stressful! :eek: The good thing is that school will be embarking on some curriculum changes soon which should improve the situation somewhat.

I completely agree with the comment that you can get a good OD education at any school, I tell prospective students that myself. Every school covers the same material (though some might emphasize particular areas more than others -- for example, SUNY is known to have the most focus on vision therapy of any school), and every school has its own challenges -- whether they be with the curriculum in general or with specific horrendous classes -- but in the end it is up to you to learn what you need to learn.

what about UHCO as compared to PCO? which one is more difficult and which is the better school. thanx

Amy19 said:
what about UHCO as compared to PCO? which one is more difficult and which is the better school. thanx

no one can tell you which is more difficult unless they've attended both schools. Which school is better is subjective.

cpw said:
no one can tell you which is more difficult unless they've attended both schools. Which school is better is subjective.
C'mon, we need an easier and more digestible answer than that, like "UHCO graduates make twice as much as graduates of other optometry schools" or "most graduates of PCO are currently in prison."

sethuel1 said:
C'mon, we need an easier and more digestible answer than that, like "UHCO graduates make twice as much as graduates of other optometry schools" or "most graduates of PCO are currently in prison."

LMAO :laugh: