SUNY Upstate Hold, what does it mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Don

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey people, I was wondering if anyone has any info as to what the hold category at Upstate means (pre-interview). I was wondering if this hold is like the UCSD's hold, where there's practically no hope of an interview or if the upstate hold is just standard and everyone that's not interviewed immediately gets it? In other words, does upstate reject people post secondary/pre interview? thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the strength of applications that come after you. Certainly you must realize that your chances of getting an interview are greatly diminished once you get put on hold

I interviewed there and I remember meeting perhaps the nicest and most helpful admissions staff of all the schools the I've visited. I don't think they would mind if you call them and ask them(nicely) about what it means to be put on hold there.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called upstate and they said that about half the people on the hold list will be given an interview by March. I say, concentrate on your other interviews and give Upstate an update come december/january if you've done anything else. I doubt we will hear from them until next year at the earliest.

I appreciate the responses and wish everyone the best of luck.

here is some updated info. Being on the hold category is not such a bad thing afterall :) Several students are rejected post secondary and applicants on hold will be re-reviewed within the next few weeks. If you are on hold, you can send updated info (letters of rec, grades, etc) to increase your chances for an interview. Anyways, hope that helps, take care you all.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I think when i called, i talked to a student who worked in the admissions office. It sounded like one anyway.

Im glad they will be re-reviewing us this soon.

hey kingcer0x, if you don't mind me asking, why do you think you got put on hold? I'm trying to figure out if SUNY upstate is interviewing the high numbers people first and then moving down to us lower numbers applicants. PM me if you want. I can't PM you because you don't have that option set up on your account ;)

any other applicants wish to discuss why you think you got placed on the hold list?

All I've heard from Upstate is that my app. is complete. Did they snail/email you to tell you you're on hold. How long after you were complete? This not hearing anything from anywhere thing is driving me nuts!!

hey hsouth, it took them approximately 3 weeks after receiving my August MCAT scores to review my app and put me on the hold list...how long have you been waiting? good luck to you!

I took the August MCAT too, but my secondary was done before they got the score. I got a letter dated 10/27 that my app. is complete, but nothing else. It's been about 3 weeks now I guess since the scores were released. Did you apply to other SUNY schools?

stony brook, I was complete on 10/31 so I know I got about a 4-6 week wait for them.

I think Upstate was really quick about reviewing my app. If I remember correctly, they were the first ones to download my Aug MCAT scores (I think on 10/14-first day they were available). So, I'm from Cali though, so I don't know how that affects my app at Upstate and Stony Brook, although they did tell me that they no longer take preference on NY residents and EVERYONE IS Welcome to apply :cool:

Upstate got my scores 10/21 so I've got a while to wait probably. I'm in state though. I've been a total slacker and haven't finished the Stonybrook app. It's my last one and I've been putting off the essays. :(

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had my file complete very early. Consequently, they placed my file on HOLD the first week of September. However, I did take the August MCAT and hoped they would reevaluate my application with the new scores. Well needless to say, they didn't. I e-mailed the admissions department and the director and asked if my file could be reevaluated with the new scores seeing as how the improvement made me a better all around candidate. After a week and a half of no response I decided to call. The gentlemen in the office was very nice and took my file down to be reevaluated that day. Since then I have received an interview offer. I would recommend doing what you can because the earliest interview spot they had available wasn't until late January.

Herp

Reactions: 1 user
As a NYS resident I am getting NO love from my home schools - :mad:

Nothing, nada, bupkis. I'm a good applicant with decents stats, scores and ec's. Other schools seem more interested so it doesn't look like I'm going to be moving back "home" anytime soon.

Originally posted by woolie

Nothing, nada, bupkis. I'm a good applicant with decents stats, scores and ec's. Other schools seem more interested so it doesn't look like I'm going to be moving back "home" anytime soon.

Maybe you should call them... they're pretty nice on the phone if you're equally nice to them. Our state schools are wierd, so don't worry about it yet. I've heard of soooooo many people that were waitlisted post-interview that had AWESOME scores, GPA, EC's, etc. I know that this isn't the case for you yet, but I'm just saying that they work in mysterious ways. It's frustrating. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by woolie

Same here. Not to mention that I have worked at Stony Brook every summer since I was in high school and have 2 great letters of recommendations from Stony Brook doctors.

I think a lot of schools now have a ton of applications to weed through. Its definitely mid-cycle for those of us whose app's are complete and I think it will take 4-6 weeks for schools to go through them. I mean Stony Brook had like 3 essays!!

Syracuse was pretty fast in reviewing my application but the others are taking their sweet ol' time... oh well waiting sucks but it sure beats trying to craft secondary essays :)

ForensicPath - Can you tell me a little bit about the Stonybrook area? Cost of living? I'm worried about moving to a place we really can't afford and also need to think about what kinds of jobs are available for my soon-to-be husband. Neither of us want to have to commute far to school/work. He's in graphics/printing. We'd like to be able to buy a house, but I have a feeling that it won't be possible in that area. Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse seem like a better bet. I don't want to waste any more money on apps if I know I won't go there. This has already put me thousands of $ in credit card debit. :(

Also, has anyone interviewed at Univ. of Rochester? My interview is next Thurs. (the 13th)...my first and I'm pretty nervous. Any tips?

Thanks!
~H

The cost of living on Long Island is pretty high (property taxes and the such). I can't give you any numbers because that is handled by my parents. However, there are plenty of job opportunities (Stony Brook being a major employer) and the area is great. You mentioned that your soon-to-be husband is looking for a job in graphics/printing. I know there are a bunch of places that do that sort of stuff in a town called Hauppauge, which is about 15 minutes from Stony Brook. It is on the north shore of Long Island and far enough from the city to avoid those hassles, but close enough to still enjoy it. There are plenty of places to live around Stony Brook, including apartments and houses. It is expensive, but not totally outrageous. The town of Stony Brook itself is one of the best school districts on the island, so that may be something to consider about the future. Some people complain about the traffic on Long Island, but in all honesty, it is not that bad. I live just outside of Philly right now, and the traffic is 100x worse than any traffic on LI will ever be.

hope that helps

ForensicPath - Do you know what the local paper is (or if it's online) so I can get a sense for rents etc? "Expensive " is relative I've found lately. Here I can rent a half a house with 2 bedrooms, garage etc for $595 a month. Average house is $150k, maybe less. Thanks for your help! Gotta get to writing those darn essays SOON! :)

~H

Originally posted by ForensicPath
Some people complain about the traffic on Long Island, but in all honesty, it is not that bad. I live just outside of Philly right now, and the traffic is 100x worse than any traffic on LI will ever be.

hope that helps

have to disagree w/you on the traffic issue. around SB it's probably not too bad, but i'll put nassau traffic (LIE, NSP, SSP) up there with anywhere. it can be a nightmare. to the woman looking for advice about the SB area, you can prolly find a small house for $250k in a nice area. prolly down to $200 in a not so nice town. taxes and cost of living are generally high. salaries are also pretty good and the ny metro area has as many jobs as anywhere in the world prolly. a commute may be involved though.

Originally posted by hsouth
ForensicPath - Do you know what the local paper is (or if it's online) so I can get a sense for rents etc? "Expensive " is relative I've found lately. Here I can rent a half a house with 2 bedrooms, garage etc for $595 a month. Average house is $150k, maybe less. Thanks for your help! Gotta get to writing those darn essays SOON! :)

~H

www.newsday.com

Originally posted by steve007
have to disagree w/you on the traffic issue. around SB it's probably not too bad, but i'll put nassau traffic (LIE, NSP, SSP) up there with anywhere. it can be a nightmare. to the woman looking for advice about the SB area, you can prolly find a small house for $250k in a nice area. prolly down to $200 in a not so nice town. taxes and cost of living are generally high. salaries are also pretty good and the ny metro area has as many jobs as anywhere in the world prolly. a commute may be involved though.

That is true, but Stony Brook is not in nassau county and unless you work or live in nassau county, there is not much reason to go there (unless you are an Islander fan - Boo!!). Suffolk county traffic is really not that bad. If you live near SB, you can avoid the Expressway, Northern State Pkwy, and Southern State Pkwy all together. And yes, Newsday is the local paper.

You can get a room at stony brook for 400 bucks a month. Bear in mind that this is just a room...nothing nice. PM me if you want more info.

Hey - update from here...
I did look more into Long Island and did finish my Stony Brook app finally (then found out they extended the deadline!). A room for $400 sounds nice, but I don't think that my husband-to-be and I can fit our whole house-full of stuff into one room! :)
Oh, and I heard from Upstate finally on Thursday - I have an interview Feb 16th. Took them about a month after my app was complete, maybe a little more. Seems though that they're scheduling WAY in advance. Yuck.

The rest of you applying to NY schools....heard anything? No word from Buffalo yet. We'll see what happens with that one...

~H