SUNY Upstate/Jackson Memorial

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopeTo99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Which program would you rank higher: SUNY Upstate or UMiami/Jackson Memorial and why?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

Which program would you rank higher: SUNY Upstate or UMiami/Jackson Memorial and why?

Thanks.
I have vested SUNY Upstate and had a friend there who did BB and became an attending there . i was at the Dade county ME office for 9 years, interacted and taught Pathology for 9 years. to me the ranking would depend upon what you want SUNY Upstate Historically was the quintessential Clinical path program when Dr JB Henry ( he wrote the book on Clinical path still used to this day) .Rolla Hill was the Surgical Path chief it still has that strong tradition Gus De la Rosa is in Surgical path and Cytopath, I know him and interacted with him at MD Anderson cancer ctr. he his a new generation Juan Rosai and is also from Argentina like Dr Rosai. Dr Elbadawi may still be there in Anatomic. the Clinical path side is still strong even with Dr Henry's passing., especially .. strong in the Med Tech program even if Bettina Martin is not there ( she is the former Chief tech and is a legendary Medical technologist) so I would give that program a strong B +. Jackson memorial had very good people like Dr Molly Dapena ( pediatric path) and the Forensic path at Dade county is still strong without Dr JH Davis, legendary medical examiner , surgical pathology is more so-so no real legends but solid. give it about a solid B. obviously Miami, FL is a nicer tropical climate than the winter snow of Syracuse, NY. both programs ARE NOT research giants so if that is your interest then forget both to me I would not really get into pathology I would rather see someone go into internal medicine and then specialize in an area that does diagnostic work ( e.g.. Hematology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, rheumatology, GI,etc.>_ i say that because of the rise of new technology ( HPV testing such that the PAP test will become obsolete) digital pathology ( computers now read lung cancer), insurance cut back of re-imbursement ( some lab tests cut by 50% by Aetna), take overs by predatory labs ( Aurona) so that the future of the field is not too rosy. pockets will always exist. but I would tell anyone that the days when you could go out and go to a community hospital and make $400K are over with. one path would be straight Anatomic ( AP) and then a specialty like Heme, GI , GU, or Derm that would lend itself to working at a reference lab so a strong AP program would be better ( i.e. Neither SUNY upstate or Miami, Jackson are that strong in AP) also both SUNY Upstate and Miami/Jackson would have the specialty for a fellowship in Heme, Derm, GI or GU so if that pathway is what you think you might want then find someplace else. . For example for straight AP try something like Mayo clinic in Rochester,MN or try any of the big 4 Columbia Presbyterian ( now called NY Presbyterian in NYC), Vanderbilt in Nashville,TN, Mass general in Boston, MA or Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC then after 4 years AP select a good specialty depending upon your likes another avenue that will survive is more Research Pathology you do a straight AP program but it is more of a post doc ( e.g. try Brigham's and Women's in Boston,MA, U Wash in Seattle, WA or Stanford in Palo Alto, CA) this avenue may not pay as much as the service sector but it creates a good academic job ( i.e.. do research, get R O 1 grant and teach pathology) less hassles with things like insurance companies, hospital exec no nights or weekends, and no malpractice worries. you do what you want but I would always say think twice could IM be a better pathway for you if the lab gets cut back you can still see patients and can still run a CLIA lab with IM boards. all the best

I have vested SUNY Upstate and had a friend there who did BB and became an attending there . i was at the Dade county ME office for 9 years, interacted and taught Pathology for 9 years. to me the ranking would depend upon what you want SUNY Upstate Historically was the quintessential Clinical path program when Dr JB Henry ( he wrote the book on Clinical path still used to this day) .Rolla Hill was the Surgical Path chief it still has that strong tradition Gus De la Rosa is in Surgical path and Cytopath, I know him and interacted with him at MD Anderson cancer ctr. he his a new generation Juan Rosai and is also from Argentina like Dr Rosai. Dr Elbadawi may still be there in Anatomic. the Clinical path side is still strong even with Dr Henry's passing., especially .. strong in the Med Tech program even if Bettina Martin is not there ( she is the former Chief tech and is a legendary Medical technologist) so I would give that program a strong B +. Jackson memorial had very good people like Dr Molly Dapena ( pediatric path) and the Forensic path at Dade county is still strong without Dr JH Davis, legendary medical examiner , surgical pathology is more so-so no real legends but solid. give it about a solid B. obviously Miami, FL is a nicer tropical climate than the winter snow of Syracuse, NY. both programs ARE NOT research giants so if that is your interest then forget both to me I would not really get into pathology I would rather see someone go into internal medicine and then specialize in an area that does diagnostic work ( e.g.. Hematology, Dermatology, Endocrinology, rheumatology, GI,etc.>_ i say that because of the rise of new technology ( HPV testing such that the PAP test will become obsolete) digital pathology ( computers now read lung cancer), insurance cut back of re-imbursement ( some lab tests cut by 50% by Aetna), take overs by predatory labs ( Aurona) so that the future of the field is not too rosy. pockets will always exist. but I would tell anyone that the days when you could go out and go to a community hospital and make $400K are over with. one path would be straight Anatomic ( AP) and then a specialty like Heme, GI , GU, or Derm that would lend itself to working at a reference lab so a strong AP program would be better ( i.e. Neither SUNY upstate or Miami, Jackson are that strong in AP) also both SUNY Upstate and Miami/Jackson would have the specialty for a fellowship in Heme, Derm, GI or GU so if that pathway is what you think you might want then find someplace else. . For example for straight AP try something like Mayo clinic in Rochester,MN or try any of the big 4 Columbia Presbyterian ( now called NY Presbyterian in NYC), Vanderbilt in Nashville,TN, Mass general in Boston, MA or Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC then after 4 years AP select a good specialty depending upon your likes another avenue that will survive is more Research Pathology you do a straight AP program but it is more of a post doc ( e.g. try Brigham's and Women's in Boston,MA, U Wash in Seattle, WA or Stanford in Palo Alto, CA) this avenue may not pay as much as the service sector but it creates a good academic job ( i.e.. do research, get R O 1 grant and teach pathology) less hassles with things like insurance companies, hospital exec no nights or weekends, and no malpractice worries. you do what you want but I would always say think twice could IM be a better pathway for you if the lab gets cut back you can still see patients and can still run a CLIA lab with IM boards. all the best

Thank you so much for replying. I understand that neither program is in the upper tier category but I'm just looking to sit the AP/CP boards and then do a fellowship in CP, something like hemepath/coag. The two programs have a solid reputation. Most of the residents at Jackson stay in-house for fellowships. Both Upstate and Jackson have hemepath. I'm not that interested in forensics- just want to get my numbers. Research is important but that won't be the deciding factor for me. Becoming a good diagnostician is more important. Weatherwise, Miami seems like a better choice. I believe they get a lot more specimens at Jackson but not sure if the program is service-oriented as I keep hearing. I'm sure there will be time to read on the weekends and on lighter rotations like cytopath and autopsy or CP. Thanks for the input.

Last edited: