SUNY Upstate Living

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brian20

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a first year in august. Do you guys suggest living in the towers or off campus? I don't really want to live in a dorm room again, and the singles seem really expensive. Any suggestions?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

hi brian
congratulations and welcome to upstate! you basically have 2 living options here - clark tower or either madison or jefferson apt towers located several blocks from university hospital. if you really don't want dorm living again i would suggest putting an application into madison or jefferson ASAP. the cost for a single is similar to the cost for a clark studio except you get a much larger and nicer place. the downside to living in either towers is that most of your classmates will be living in clark tower but this is only a minor point because you're only a few blocks away. any other questions let me know.

Shiga

Thanks. I might as well try for a single in clark if the rent is the same elsewhere. or do i run the risk of living dorm style if i stay with clark????

i dont wann miss out on meeting people and socializing though??? what do you suggest. keep in mind that i definately need my own room. i need my time alone...and i have a girlfriend that will visit

thanks for the help....what year are you

brian

Members don't see this ad :)
brian
if you don't mind paying the same amount of money (maybe slightly more) put in a request for a studio in clark. this will provide you with your own room, kitchenette, and bathroom. these rooms are on floors that are less dorm-style (no community bathrooms or community kitchens). there are also less of these rooms available so the sooner you request one the better. i would also put an application in at madison towers as a backup in case you can't get a studio in clark. living in clark your first year is not bad - good social scene, the gym is right next door, and the hospital is across the street. hope this helps.

tim ms2

Hey Bri,

Congrats, and welcome! I am also MS2 and an RA in Clark Tower. Our favorite enterotoxin is correct, most of the first years students live in either of the 3 buildings listed. About half of your class will be in Clark, the other half mostly in Madison Tower. The rents are comparable, and maybe slightly less in Madison. Personally, I didn't mind living in Clark for the first year. Its very convenient, has all the amenities of comfortable living, and is really really close to school, which is a major convenience on those cold winter mornings. There are a few living options you have at Clark, which I wouldn't necessarily call a dorm...the rooms are nicer than any "dorm" I've ever seen, andthere are apartments available. Drop me an email if you have any questions at all. [email protected]

Tim, Merry Christmas! and have a good break, I'll talk to you in a couple of weeks bro.

Hey Brian! Welcome to Upstate! I am an MSIII here. I lived out of perceived convenience in Clark (with my husband in a double for an outlandish lump of change) for the first year. I have been at the Skyline at James since. Socializing the first year tends to revolve around class and the library with some bar weekends/destressors (especially on the 'hill' surrounding the S.U. campus.) This is easily accessed from both Clark AND the two most popular apartment complexes--Jefferson Towers and Madison. Both of these complexes are within a 10 minute (5 to 6 block) walk from class. I personally would have lived in one of the apartment buildings first year if I could reverse time. Why? 1) Dormitory living quickly gets on my nerves. 2) I like the normalcy and integration into society that apartment living offers (trust me you'll know what I mean soon!) 3) I HATE needless (i.e. burned the popcorn) 2:00 AM fire alarms. 4) Half of my class lives in Madison or Jefferson, and many of the Clark dorms are occupied by allied health professions students (PT, resp. tx., etc) rather than med students. 5) An easier walk to Armory Square which is a much more enjoyable entertainment district than the hill.
To sum, Clark IS an acceptable place to live...but you are eventually likely to end up living in Madison or Jefferson like everyone else.

BTW, wondering about the Skyline? Quiet,very few med students (a plus for me!), but ~15 blocks from class so you need a car or a half hour to walk.

Upstaters,

Thanks for all the advice. I think i might look at jefferson and madison towers. i cant handle dorm life anymore. i need my own room.

a law student i know is graduating in may and wants to get rid of his place so i may look into that too, but i dont want to miss out on the social aspect of living in close proximity to other students. any suggestions or comments???

anyway, im really excited to get started. im afraid, but at the same time way too excited to be stressing about it. i cant wait to meet my classmates. there are actually already three people there from my high school and tons from my undergrad (SUNY Binghamton).

i cant wait to hit armory square for those destressors. any suggestions on what i should buy before coming. for school, the apartment, relaxation, clothes for the hospital??????

good luck guys, im fired up.

later

I think every year has its "downstate-binghamton" click, so I wouldn't spend much time worrying about the social scene. You spend almost 40 hours a week in a single lecture hall with the same 150 people, so meeting croanies is not an issue. Sometimes getting away from the other students becomes the priority. If you live in Clark, Madison, or Jefferson you'll be in the center of the social circles, so again don't despair. My advice for first year? Hit the ground running rather than worry about where the next beer's coming from, you'll be in over your head before you know it. A central social theme to the first 2 years is a bit of R&R at the beginning which quickly dies down. Interestingly it is these first few weeks that determine friendship patterns for the pre-clinical years (Ye who drinks together sits together in class). And then post-test parties at local bars comprise the remainder of the class interactions. There is also a few socialites per class who sponsor shindigs on slow weekends with class-wide invites via e-mail. A study "group" (i.e. a few buddies to share long miserable library nights studying with) is helpful. What do you need? No furniture for Clark. Everything for Madison and Jefferson.

Glad to see ya so excited.

Mindy

Oh yeah, clothes...conservative, casual, collegiate. Pretty much undergrad style first two years. Have at least one suit, some button-downs, and chinos available. One nice winter coat. One good pair of shoes. People DO NOT dress extravagantly first two years. (Clinical years: the politically savvy students begin to look like doctors.) Try to keep in mind that this is more of a job than a funhouse. It sorta feels like a distorted college scene at first, but friends eventually become colleagues and it is hard to shake the reputation you make for yourself early on.

(and if you're like me, you need a pair of funny looking glasses-- maybe you'll recognize me from that description some day!)

mindy :cool:

mindy

thanks....i need new glasses....and should i invest in some contacts???

i hear ya about the first impressions thing. funny you say that, because i was a bit worried about that. im gonna have to make a good impression. i just dont want anyone to see me as a unapproachable smart ass....but definately as the out going humorous type.

hey, im in medical school. i see no need in competition or intelligence pissing matches.

now that i got in, i just tell people i am going back to school....why bother telling them its med school???