SUNY Upstate Medical University DPT Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BurningOil

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How come I never see any questions or discussions about SUNY's Upstate DPT program?

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder the same thing. Anyone from SUNY Upstate have any information about the program or about their interview process? I'm from Syracuse originally so it'd be easiest for me to go to Upstate but am worried that there's not a ton of information or discussion about the school on here.

I received an interview offer from them sometime during November but I declined. I did went to their open house and they said that the next incoming class will be around 33. However, more than half of the seats will come from the early admittance program (3+3). They will be interviewing until February.

I wonder the same thing. Anyone from SUNY Upstate have any information about the program or about their interview process? I'm from Syracuse originally so it'd be easiest for me to go to Upstate but am worried that there's not a ton of information or discussion about the school on here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on February 2, but have not received a decision yet. The process was not quite as described, but the weather was terrible, so that may have had an impact. I was able to sit in on one class, but never had the lunch with a current student. The interview process was two interviews: one with a current student and one with a faculty member.

I had my interview on January 18th. It was very laid back. I interviewed with one professor and one student, both very conversational interviews (no interrogation or anything). They provided lunch and a tour which impressed me, because none of my other interviews provided lunch. I ended up receiving my acceptance about 2 weeks after the interview day via email.

If any of you have been accepted and are planning on attending there, message me! I'm trying to get a Facebook group off the ground but I'm not friends with any accepted students yet.

Congratulations on your acceptance. If you heard back in about two weeks, hopefully I will hear back soon. I have one acceptance, but Stony Brook and Upstate are my top picks, and I haven't heard from either of them yet. I have one last interview at on 2/15.

If you don't mind, what are your stats that got you in to Upstate?

Thank you! Yeah Stony Brook and Upstate were my top two as well. I had my Stony Brook interview on Feb 2nd.

I have my BS in Biology from Geneseo, Overall: 3.58, Science GPA: 3.43, Prerequisite: 3.54.
GRE verbal 156 (73rd%), GRE quantitative 151 (56th%), writing 4.0 (49th%).

Best of luck! Upstate is very selective in who they interview, so the fact that you got the interview says a lot. I hope to see you this June!

Thanks for posting your stats. Here's mine: BS in Exercise Science from Ithaca College. GRE: Verbal 152, Quantitative 154, Writing 4.0. Overall GPA 3.45, Science 3.46 and Prereq 3.41.
This was my first interview, and I sat around for over 5 hours waiting for my turn. As I said in an earlier post, the weather was terrible, so maybe that messed up the interview schedule, but after being told to be there by 8:45 am, I did my student interview at 2:30 and my faculty interview at 3:30. The administration didn't assign times until after everyone arrived. Long day and I don't feel like I did as well at Upstate as Stony Brook, but time will tell.

Thanks for posting your stats. Here's mine: BS in Exercise Science from Ithaca College. GRE: Verbal 152, Quantitative 154, Writing 4.0. Overall GPA 3.45, Science 3.46 and Prereq 3.41.
This was my first interview, and I sat around for over 5 hours waiting for my turn. As I said in an earlier post, the weather was terrible, so maybe that messed up the interview schedule, but after being told to be there by 8:45 am, I did my student interview at 2:30 and my faculty interview at 3:30. The administration didn't assign times until after everyone arrived. Long day and I don't feel like I did as well at Upstate as Stony Brook, but time will tell.

Is 5 hours a typical wait time for this interview at SUNY Upstate?

I agree, the Upstate interview day was quite the gauntlet. I was also told to be there at 8:45, had my faculty interview at 10, and didn't have my student interview until 2:30. It was a bit ridiculous. Your stats look great though. I rooting for you!

Interesting that you found your Stony Brook interview to go better than your Upstate one. Mine was the exact opposite. I felt very good after Upstate, and pretty awful after Stony Brook. I found that Stony Brook really grilled me about a lot of seemingly peripheral things. I left feeling like they didn't really get to know me at all during the interview.

tennis10 said:
Is 5 hours a typical wait time for this interview at SUNY Upstate?

Everyone that I talked to at the interview had a similar experience: one interview in the morning, tour, class sit-in, and second interview in the afternoon.

I don't know if it's typical, but it seemed to go by last name, and since, I'm at the end of the alphabet, I had the longer wait time.

My app. was put on hold for comparison. Now, I have to wait until the end of April for a decision :( Does anyone else have their application put on hold for comparison at Upstate?

I'm so excited! I still haven't heard from Upstate, but I have an acceptence at Stony Brook. If Upstate also says "yes", I'll have to make a tough decision and choose one. There are many good things about both programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so excited! I still haven't heard from Upstate, but I have an acceptence at Stony Brook. If Upstate also says "yes", I'll have to make a tough decision and choose one. There are many good things about both programs.

That's awesome Kaede! Congratulations! I am actually in that exact predicament: Stony Brook vs Upstate. I'm actually leaning towards upstate due to it being closer to home and cheaper housing in the area. Keep us posted on your decision!

Also for anyone interested, I may have secured some off-campus housing at Upstate and will be looking for roommates. It's a 3 br house, 10 min walk from campus, and $325/room/month + utilities. It's the cheapest place I've found so far and the lease starts on June 1st. The bedrooms are pretty big too. If you're planning on attending Upstate, pm me if you're interested.

Has anyone heard any new news? I interviewed on the 15th and am mildly dying waiting to hear back. Upstate is my last chance to get in this application cycle so I'm especially anxious to hear back.

They said if it says "decision made" on your bannerweb account then you should be receiving an email today or tomorrow

Thanks for the info! I guess I should be receiving an email today or tomorrow. Just went from mildly freaking out to totally freaking out.

I know it's been awhile for you all but my interview for the upcoming year is Nov 15. Do any of you remember what sort of questions were asked and what attire is expected? I appreciate all the help I can get!
Thanks in advance!!!

I know it's been awhile for you all but my interview for the upcoming year is Nov 15. Do any of you remember what sort of questions were asked and what attire is expected? I appreciate all the help I can get!
Thanks in advance!!!

MKdavis, how did the interview go? What are your impressions of the faculty, students, curriculum, and atmosphere? I just got an email with an interview invitation. Were you interviewed using the multiple mini interview format? Any tips on what to expect would be greatly appreciated!

@housestark: i was part of the 1st interview group for upstate this year. Faculty is very polite and willing to listen/answer questions or concerns about the program. It is meant as relaxing interview process but make sure to maintain professionalism throughout. MMIs are new this year and i found them to be very beneficial, take them seriously and you should be fine.

Thanks dpc2013! I haven't received an email with the interview details yet. I'm not familiar with MMIs, how can I prepare for them? Were the questions related to policy/social issues and is there an essay involved?

The interview details are described on their website but you won't get the actually itinerary until you arrive at the university. The MMI's are going to be timed interviews (5-8 minutes) with different members of the PT department. It is basically no different from a standard one-on-one interview with the exception that you will answer one question then move to another room to answer the next, etc. The questions themselves are no different then what you what expect and should prepare for with a one-on-one interview. Be confident and answer thoughtfully and you should be fine.