SUNY Upstate ON HOLD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so, are people who've been on-hold at upstate starting to get rejections/interviews finally?

Members don't see this ad.

medstylee said:
so, are people who've been on-hold at upstate starting to get rejections/interviews finally?

Gulp, those final decisions are probably being made now. :eek:

i got very lucky - was selected for an interview after being on hold for quite a while! i guess i answered my own question. this was a very pleasant surprise. good luck, everyone. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
medstylee said:
i got very lucky - was selected for an interview after being on hold for quite a while! i guess i answered my own question. this was a very pleasant surprise. good luck, everyone. :thumbup:

When did you get a phone call? It is still a phone call, right?

my friend who had an interview scheduled in january is declining it after being accepted at another school. hopefully a lot more people will do the same and some of us will get bumped to interviews.
-mota

I havn't heard anything probably because they have not got to my application yet. I really can't see getting an interview though. :(

Last edited:
roca88 said:
They sent me a letter about a week ago saying my application is incomplete, cause I never finished the 2ndary. They have everything else and just need my 2ndary by January 6th in the mail, they said.

Do you think it would be worth it to finish that and still have a shot at an interview? Does anybody with knowledge of the school know if it would be just to throw away another 100 or so or do I have a real chance this late? Thanks for any info.

If you have an acceptance, I wouldn't waste my money. However, if you are a NY state resident it may be worth a shot considering the tuition.

roca88 said:
They sent me a letter about a week ago saying my application is incomplete, cause I never finished the 2ndary. They have everything else and just need my 2ndary by January 6th in the mail, they said.

Do you think it would be worth it to finish that and still have a shot at an interview? Does anybody with knowledge of the school know if it would be just to throw away another 100 or so or do I have a real chance this late? Thanks for any info.
Check your PM box.

I still havn't heard anything. Thankfully though, I was able to send my fall grades to them (4.0). Will it make a difference? HA, I think not!

just got the rejection. ehh. whatever.
-mota

DaMota said:
just got the rejection. ehh. whatever.
-mota

I'm sorry. I'm sure mine's almost here too...did they send it to your permanent address or your mailing address? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got mine yesterday.....I died a little inside.

got the boot from them as well...sigh

it was sent to my mailing address.

I didn't get the boot yet. However, I didn't get a phone call yet either. I was also placed in the INTERMEDIATE pool at Buffalo. WTF!!

got the teenie weenie letter in the mail today...REJECTED!!!!

Although, I find it funny because I mailed out a letter with grade updates the same day I got the rejection letter!! Go figure . :)

Angel

Got that super skinny letter today from SUNY-Upstate. Rejected ! First one. It hurt. Was on HOLD since November. Also got an e-mail from SUNY-Buffalo putting me on "HOLD."

CibaoMD said:
Got that super skinny letter today from SUNY-Upstate. Rejected ! First one. It hurt. Was on HOLD since November. Also got an e-mail from SUNY-Buffalo putting me on "HOLD."

Are you talking about being placed in the "intermediate" pile?

They sent me a flat out rejection within 10 days of being complete yet I got interviews @ schools I think are harder to get into to some extent.
BUT my friend here, at FSU, is a Florida resident and applied with an August MCAT retake of 24 (he got a 21 in April) and did not get rejected OR put on hold. Wierd, huh? What is their deal does ANYONE get in there? I still have no clue why they rejected me but I could never go to syracuse after growing up next door in rochester..

USArmyDoc said:
Are you talking about being placed in the "intermediate" pile?

Yeap. The Intermediate pile !!

What do they base their decisions on...because tons of people on here get interviews @ just as good/better schools and get rejected from upstate. I can't believe how many of you are on hold. It seems like they're real picky/looking for something in particular but the msar and other things I depicted it as the easiest SUNY to get into, along with UB maybe. I don't really know much about the program since they didn't ask about your interest in the secondary. Is there something spectacular about this school vs. the other NY state schools because it seems like a lot of people really want to go here..

I hope to explain our process a bit - our first screening of an application will result either in an interview, a reject or a hold (BTW - there is no Priority Hold). We try to have a 2 week turn-around time on your application. Sometime in December we go back through all of the "Hold" applications and re-review. We look at everything (yes, I would accept additional letters or updated information, if you feel it will help you, but don't get carried away with the letters! ;-) ) At this point, we either select for an interview or deny the application. Several students that were placed on Hold last year were, in fact, invited for an interview (I don't know the %).

If there is anything I forgot to clarify, please let me know...
Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

Bump--figured this was important for those of us on hold...

i've heard through the grapevine that being on hold at Upstate (which I am too, by the way) is like 90% of the way towards rejection. i'm pretty sure nobody from last year who was on hold got an interview later on. sorry to be the one to break it to ya guys.
-mota

luckily for you guys on hold, that's false. i was placed on hold at upstate last year and i was then invited for an interview in march. i was put on the high priority waitlist a few weeks after my interview and then, in late may, i was accepted off the waitlist. so, moral of the story, being on hold is not a definite pre-cursor to rejection. i'm sure the chances of getting an interview after being put on hold are not great, but it can still happen. best of luck.

luckily for you guys on hold, that's false. i was placed on hold at upstate last year and i was then invited for an interview in march. i was put on the high priority waitlist a few weeks after my interview and then, in late may, i was accepted off the waitlist. so, moral of the story, being on hold is not a definite pre-cursor to rejection. i'm sure the chances of getting an interview after being put on hold are not great, but it can still happen. best of luck.

Thanks med! G'luck at GW :luck:

wow, i just realized i replied to a post from last year, and even more funny, one that i had posted on before. ha. anyway, yeah, it happens, just keep the faith.

alright, back to studying for our gross exam and practical tomorrow. :eek:

is the status page the way they let you know you're complete? or do they send you an e-mail/snail mail? i'm complete on my status page for about 2 weeks, but i havent heard anything / received any other communication from them regarding being complete.

thanks!

So question for those who already got the hold - did your online status check that says when they recieved all your stuff reflect that or not?

I'm kind of expecting mine in the mail soon since I've been complete there forever - but my online status page doesn't say anything.

Upstate notified me of the hold via mail and its not reflected on my status page online-it only shows that my application materials have been rcvd. hope this helps.

What type of student do they look for at upstate? Is the first and foremost importnat factor that they are NY residents? Then grades, MCATs and research? Just curious if there is some sort of defining characteristic that people think helped them stand out and get off the HOLD list....

Although Upstate is a state school, they say they do not give preference to in-state vs. out-of-state. The admissions office judges each applicant based on the merits of her/his app. I have a bunch of classmates from OOS. Even a good number from Canada.

What type of student do they look for at upstate? Is the first and foremost importnat factor that they are NY residents? Then grades, MCATs and research? Just curious if there is some sort of defining characteristic that people think helped them stand out and get off the HOLD list....

Grades, MCAT, and clinical experience/exposure are all critical for the first cut at Upstate. Research is not critical - unless you're an MD/PhD applicant (in which case a lack thereof will jettison your application). Instate, out-of-state, and international applicants are all looked at individually. No preference whatsoever is given to instate applicants though, by virtue of it's location, the vast preponderance of incoming MSIs at Upstate are from NY. Pre-interview "Hold" applicants have a second review of their file with a fine-tooth-comb sometime in late fall; at that stage, everything is looked at very closely. I hope that helps!

is the status page the way they let you know you're complete? or do they send you an e-mail/snail mail? i'm complete on my status page for about 2 weeks, but i havent heard anything / received any other communication from them regarding being complete.

thanks!

did your status page actually say that you were "complete" or did it just reflect that everything was received?

did your status page actually say that you were "complete" or did it just reflect that everything was received?

everything was received

Same thing here. Everything's been there for a couple weeks but no notification of being complete.

Same thing here. Everything's been there for a couple weeks but no notification of being complete.

yea...i got the hold and i didn't even get the complete snail mail that most people get...

Grades, MCAT, and clinical experience/exposure are all critical for the first cut at Upstate. Research is not critical - unless you're an MD/PhD applicant (in which case a lack thereof will jettison your application). Instate, out-of-state, and international applicants are all looked at individually. No preference whatsoever is given to instate applicants though, by virtue of it's location, the vast preponderance of incoming MSIs at Upstate are from NY. Pre-interview "Hold" applicants have a second review of their file with a fine-tooth-comb sometime in late fall; at that stage, everything is looked at very closely. I hope that helps!

Thanks, it's good to know that we will be looked at again. Should we send any letters of interest or is that too aggressive/annoying/not-helpful?

Wow - I was complete there ages ago - 8/15 and STILL haven't heard a peep. And some of you guys have been held and rejected.

Weird. Maybe I should call them...

Anyone else not heard anything from them?

The status page on the web will not show any decisions or your status, only what we have received. We are currently behind and are working to catch up. Once you are complete we will send you a complete letter via the US mail. I hope that helps and am sorry for our delays!

Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

woot.. i am on the ol' hold :(

anyone get any recent interviews at upstate? I guess things will be quiet for a few weeks bc of the holiday? What do you guys think?
Good luck everyone.

just got my hold letter today. keeping my fingers crossed, but i don't expect to hear anything for a while.