SUNY Upstate ON HOLD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A

angel5

Hey all,

Has anyone else been place on hold for SUNY Upstate? I tried looking on their website, and was wondering how often this happens, or what it entails...

Thanx!

Angel

Members don't see this ad.

i am. i don't know what happens from here but i hope i get an interview.

Me too. I was kinda annoyed by it in the beginning but now I realize that knowing I'm on hold is at least better than not knowing if the school has even looked at my application (like NYMC/Jefferson/AECOM).

I figure the 'hold' means they think we are worthy of interviewing if their favorite applicants don't matriculate there. But I wonder how long they will keep us waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter this weekend saying that I was put on hold at Upstate and I was really upset. I am thinking about calling them tomorrow to figure out what this actually means...if I find out anything good ill post tomorrow! Good luck to all.

i've heard through the grapevine that being on hold at Upstate (which I am too, by the way) is like 90% of the way towards rejection. i'm pretty sure nobody from last year who was on hold got an interview later on. sorry to be the one to break it to ya guys.
-mota

I am on HOLD also. I heard the same DaMota but ya know what....its still 10% from a rejection :)

USArmyDoc said:
I am on HOLD also. I heard the same DaMota but ya know what....its still 10% from a rejection :)

fo sho. i'm not trying to be negative or anything. just telling it like it is.
-mota

DaMota said:
fo sho. i'm not trying to be negative or anything. just telling it like it is.
-mota

I agree ;)

hmmm. interesting.

Mr. Mota,

Perhaps this question has been answered before, but your picture looks very familiar (like some celebrity). Who is this man in the picture?

Angel

angel5 said:
hmmm. interesting.

Mr. Mota,

Perhaps this question has been answered before, but your picture looks very familiar (like some celebrity). Who is this man in the picture?

Angel

http://www.borat.kz/#

-mota

i think the question is "is anyone not on hold at upstate?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I called Upstate today and they informed me that there is two hold catergories: Priority hold, and regular hold. She said that if your letter says that you are on Priority hold then you have a good chance of getting an interview later in the spring, regular hold not so much...

Good luck to all.
Carrie.

carrie said:
Hi guys,

I called Upstate today and they informed me that there is two hold catergories: Priority hold, and regular hold. She said that if your letter says that you are on Priority hold then you have a good chance of getting an interview later in the spring, regular hold not so much...

Good luck to all.
Carrie.

Is the tyoe of hold written explicitly on the letter? I got an on hold letter and it just says "on hold". I wanted to hold off on calling Upstate but this warrants a phone call.

I was told that your letter tells you if you are on priority hold or just on hold.

carrie said:
I was told that your letter tells you if you are on priority hold or just on hold.

I just thoroughly checked my letter, it doesn't say anything besides "on hold". I even tried checking for weird symbols or characters that might give an idea of hold status...you know a little 01 for pritority or 00 for regular....so far nothing. I think I am going to reach an eventual rejection like half the people that applied to that damn school.

hmm i'll have to look into this. my letter is back home w/ my parents so i'll ask them to fax it to me.

yourmom25 said:
hmm i'll have to look into this. my letter is back home w/ my parents so i'll ask them to fax it to me.

I dont know if I believe this high hold/medium hold/low hold whatever code... between this thread and five others on this subject , no one has mentioned they were on a priority hold....

RayhanS1282 said:
I just thoroughly checked my letter, it doesn't say anything besides "on hold". I even tried checking for weird symbols or characters that might give an idea of hold status...you know a little 01 for pritority or 00 for regular....so far nothing. I think I am going to reach an eventual rejection like half the people that applied to that damn school.

You should call them and check on what "hold catergory" you're in...this is just what they told me, they might give you more information on your status.

all i see on my letter is that i am "on HOLD." does anyone have the priority status or no?

yourmom25 said:
all i see on my letter is that i am "on HOLD." does anyone have the priority status or no?

bump

Mine says on HOLD also. I find it wierd that no one has ever mentioned this "priority HOLD" before. Who knows.....maybe I'll give them a call?

Just got off the phone with a lady from the admissions office. She said there is only ONE HOLD category. Anyone want to call and confirm?

USArmyDoc said:
Just got off the phone with a lady from the admissions office. She said there is only ONE HOLD category. Anyone want to call and confirm?
No, I trust you. Did you ask her what the chances of getting off the HOLD list are? The letter says they re-evaluate everyone once all the apps come in. It seems like they deliberately overload the HOLD list because their deadline is so early (Dec 01, 2005).

desiredusername said:
No, I trust you. Did you ask her what the chances of getting off the HOLD list are? The letter says they re-evaluate everyone once all the apps come in. It seems like they deliberately overload the HOLD list because their deadline is so early (Dec 01, 2005).

I agree.. there is no priority hold, no one has ever mentioned it. I think the person who originally called got a confused admissions person who was talking about post interview holds where there are actually 2 categories.

desiredusername said:

I asked her if I should send supporting documents in, which I already did (a day after I got the HOLD letter). She said to do so and it will be added to my file. I must admit, I get intimidated by them so I try to sound as nice as possible.

so i just realized i only sent them 2 LORs for some reason even though I have 3 more, do you guys think i should send them? (note: i'm on hold with the rest of you)
-mota

I only sent them two; they only asked for two. And they say "Only required letters of recommendation will be acknowldged." on page 3 of their supplemental application brochure. I am really tempted to send additional letters, though.

desiredusername said:
I only sent them two; they only asked for two. And they say "Only required letters of recommendation will be acknowldged." on page 3 of their supplemental application brochure. I am really tempted to send additional letters, though.

Do they have an online status check website, or is everyone getting letters by snailmail?

DrZee said:
Do they have an online status check website, or is everyone getting letters by snailmail?

everything snail.
-mota

desiredusername said:

as soon as i get more LoRs and such, i'm sending it.....we're already on Hold...which they say is already a rejection....so it can't hurt to update your app!

C.P. Jones said:
as soon as i get more LoRs and such, i'm sending it.....we're already on Hold...which they say is already a rejection....so it can't hurt to update your app!

Huh? What are you talking about it is already a rejection. If it was a rejection why not just reject us straight out? In no way am I saying its a good sign either, but it is better than a rejection.

USArmyDoc said:
Huh? What are you talking about it is already a rejection. If it was a rejection why not just reject us straight out? In no way am I saying its a good sign either, but it is better than a rejection.

he's just referring to the fact that nobody who was placed on hold last year got an invite. as far as we know. i.e. hold ~ more or less rejection.
-mota

I called in but the guy who answered the phone said that as far as pre-interview holds go there are no rankings, i.e. priority hold, medium hold, drop it like a hot potato hold. And apparently "a few" students still have a shot at an interview from the hold list, so Mota send them LORs in.

RayhanS1282 said:
I called in but the guy who answered the phone said that as far as pre-interview holds go there are no rankings, i.e. priority hold, medium hold, drop it like a hot potato hold. And apparently "a few" students still have a shot at an interview from the hold list, so Mota send them LORs in.

A few?!? Then why the hell do they send some many HOLDs out? Losers! :mad:

USArmyDoc said:
A few?!? They why the hell do they send some many HOLDs out. Losers! :mad:

I hate to burst your bubble but i think everyone of us is on hold and not a single person has been rejected yet.

BOBODR said:
I hate to burst your bubble but i think everyone of us is on hold and not a single person has been rejected yet.

HAHA :laugh: ....Don't worry you didn't burst my bubble! I realized that but I was wondering why they just don't send out rejections instead of HOLDs. Are you sure no ones been rejected?

USArmyDoc said:
HAHA :laugh: ....Don't worry you didn't burst my bubble! I realized that but I was wondering why they just don't send out rejections instead of HOLDs. Are you sure no ones been rejected?

ha, not 100 % sure but 99.99% sure. I mean not a sinle person on here has ever said anything besides they are on hold, no mention of the R word. So I am guessing everyone gets this hold letter. Nothing mentioned about UPSTATE in the Wall of Shame either. Good luck though. I am also on "hold". My guess is that they invite enough people to fill their class. If they dont like enough of those people they may invite a few more people who are on hold. But I am sure its gonna be less that 20-30. I mean they only interview like 450 anyway.....

BOBODR said:
ha, not 100 % sure but 99.99% sure. I mean not a sinle person on here has ever said anything besides they are on hold, no mention of the R word. So I am guessing everyone gets this hold letter. Nothing mentioned about UPSTATE in the Wall of Shame either. Good luck though. I am also on "hold". My guess is that they invite enough people to fill their class. If they dont like enough of those people they may invite a few more people who are on hold. But I am sure its gonna be less that 20-30. I mean they only interview like 450 anyway.....

Got ya! I sent an update letter but whatever. I figured that with my stats I would of been rejected. I was surprised and happy but after reading this stuff it seems like a waste.

DaMota said:
i'm pretty sure nobody from last year who was on hold got an interview later on. sorry to be the one to break it to ya guys.
-mota
Don't speak too soon. I know at least one person who was on pre-interview hold last year and now is very happy studying at Upstate. ;) For the nth time, Upstate does give outright rejections. Your file will be reviewed with a fine tooth comb on the second pass.

AHHH... My home for now.. the onhold SUNY forum... I hope that it does not mean rejection... there is that 10 percent right???

:scared:

Hi all,

Here's a little update on my on hold experience.

I spoke with someone from admissions today, and they told me there are many people placed on hold. I didn't ask for a # in comparison to rejections...

However, there is some very good news (especially for us out-of-staters)!

The person I spoke with told me it doesn't matter where you are from, and that they weigh each applicant based on merit and other factors (they look at the entire applicant's profile -- not just GPA and MCAT scores in initial applicant screenings). So, us out-of-staters have just as good as a chance as in-staters.

Very, very friendly admissions office!!! :)

Angel

I got put on hold too. They are pretty quick about putting ppl on hold it seems! :(

moonsuncarefree said:
I got put on hold too. They are pretty quick about putting ppl on hold it seems! :(

I got my on HOLD letter today, it was a real bummer..but super quick tho since I submitted my AMCAS ON oct 15th, and my app was completed less than two weeks ago...

RubberDuckie7 said:
I got my on HOLD letter today, it was a real bummer..but super quick tho since I submitted my AMCAS ON oct 15th, and my app was completed less than two weeks ago...

well i guess mine is coming right up

I guess this is jst repeating what everyone else said..but I also called today. The person on the phone said that the hold applications will be reviewed once the deadline passes and its either an interview or rejection from there on. I asked how many ppl generally are interviewed from this hold list but he jst went arnd the question and did not really answer it. And yea, he said send updates as soon as possible as the deadline is approaching.

I hope to explain our process a bit - our first screening of an application will result either in an interview, a reject or a hold (BTW - there is no Priority Hold). We try to have a 2 week turn-around time on your application. Sometime in December we go back through all of the "Hold" applications and re-review. We look at everything (yes, I would accept additional letters or updated information, if you feel it will help you, but don't get carried away with the letters! ;-) ) At this point, we either select for an interview or deny the application. Several students that were placed on Hold last year were, in fact, invited for an interview (I don't know the %).

If there is anything I forgot to clarify, please let me know...
Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

Upstateadmiss said:
I hope to explain our process a bit - our first screening of an application will result either in an interview, a reject or a hold (BTW - there is no Priority Hold). We try to have a 2 week turn-around time on your application. Sometime in December we go back through all of the "Hold" applications and re-review. We look at everything (yes, I would accept additional letters or updated information, if you feel it will help you, but don't get carried away with the letters! ;-) ) At this point, we either select for an interview or deny the application. Several students that were placed on Hold last year were, in fact, invited for an interview (I don't know the %).

If there is anything I forgot to clarify, please let me know...
Jennifer Welch
Director of Admissions

well this sure settles the debate about whether or not adcomms check SDN. this is definitely encouraging though. i'm going to send some more letters right now (a lot!! :) )
-mota