SUNY Upstate vs Albany Medical College vs UMKC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Caserellaaa

Reaction score
Note: I am a BS/MD applicant for these specific programs so I will also include undergraduate pros/cons. All of these programs are binding so I will not be able to apply to other medical schools. None of these schools require the MCAT exam. Even though most students on this thread are not applying to programs like this, it would be great to get some feedback and advice. Thanks in advance!

SUNY Upstate Medical University
Pros:
-Undergraduate at Albany College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
-Undergraduate cost of attending ~31k a year
-MD tuition ~64k a year
-Best match list out of three schools (I may be wrong)
-Able to volunteer at Albany Medical College during undergraduate years
-Most personal time during summer
-Maintain a 3.5 GPA during undergraduate years
Cons:
-Small undergraduate school
-8 year program (not necessarily a con)

Albany Medical College
Pros:
-Recieve BS, MBA, and MD in 8 years (MBA through Clarkson University)
-More typical undergraduate experience at Union College
-Match list comparable to SUNY Upstate
-Undergraduate Junior and Senior year are year-round (no summer off)
-Maintain 3.5 GPA during undergraduate years
Cons:
-Tuition for both undergraduate school and medical school is by far the most expensive out of three choices.

University of Missouri - Kansas City
Pros:
-More students in the BS/MD program (~110 students per class)
-Undergraduate tuition ~42k a year
-MD tuition ~64k a year
-6 year BS/MD program (2+4)
-Unique Docent system
-Start to have clinical experience in the 3rd week of Year 1 (Undergrad)
-Maintain 2.8 GPA
Cons:
-Maybe rushed because it is a 2+4 program
-Atypical undergraduate experience
-More competition among BS/MD students
-Worst match list out of three (I may be wrong but I noticed it is very primary care heavy)
-Year-round program (4 weeks off per year plus Christmas break off+)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's just me, but I wouldn't do the 6 year BS/MD program over the traditional 8 year track even if I had the opportunity to. Ultimately you want to enjoy your life and those two years of undergrad could be two of the best years.

Alternatively, maybe you just hate school and want to be a doctor ASAP in which case maybe it is the best option, but I just know that I'm glad I had a full 4 years of undergrad. I also had a state scholarship covering my undergrad tuition though, so perhaps if cost had been more of a factor for me then I would have gone the route with fewer total years. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have it right in terms of strength of matching with SUNY > AMC > UMKC, but I think you're overemphasizing these match lists. All three institutions have a fair showing in hyper competitive specialities (~10-15% of class), but they're not JHU, Harvard, etc. I don't think either will give you a significant advantage in matching into neurosurgery, ortho, derm, etc. As a trade-off, you get guaranteed admission into a medical school, and that's huge. Who knows, maybe 6 years from now you'll discover your passion for primary care.

I'd rather focus on where you envision yourself being the happiest and most supported, hopefully at a program that has the most opportunities towards your goals in medicine (Do you need that MBA from AMC to support your career goals?). It will be a long, challenging 6-8 years before you even begin residency. I'd look more into specifics about the UG and MD programs and compare from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user