SUNY Upstate vs University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsme87123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm wondering what y'all think is the better of these two... SUNY Upstate or University of Illinois College of Medicine (Rockford campus). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you OOS for Illinois because they likely have one of the highest OOS tuitions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in state for Upstate?

According to MSAR, Upstate is expensive OOS too. Personally, neither of them seem too much better than the other so I would go with your gut (aka whichever is cheaper, closer to family, better opportunities for you, etc…)

if you have any questions on UICOM feel free to message me! went there for undergrad and have many current med student friends at all their campuses

Are you in state for Upstate?

According to MSAR, Upstate is expensive OOS too. Personally, neither of them seem too much better than the other so I would go with your gut (aka whichever is cheaper, closer to family, better opportunities for you, etc…)

I am in state for Upstate. Okay, thanks for all your advice!

if you have any questions on UICOM feel free to message me! went there for undergrad and have many current med student friends at all their campuses
Thank you so much! That would be great, I really appreciate it. Mind if I PM you?

I believe the tuition decreased from like 100k to 53k, correct? Please tell me if I'm looking at the wrong information haha.

Yes, I am OOS for Illinois*

Double check because I believe some students mentioned that Illinois still charges a separate summer tuition. So the total tuition ends up around 70-85k still. It seems that tab is included in one of the links you shared.

IS at Upstate should be much cheaper then.

Reactions: 1 users
Double check because I believe some students mentioned that Illinois still charges a separate summer tuition. So the total tuition ends up around 70-85k still. It seems that tab is included in one of the links you shared.

IS at Upstate should be much cheaper then.
You're exactly right. How could I have missed that! I've never seen a school break it down in that manner before. It's upsetting because I was just got rejected from Upstate and was really hoping to pay 45k tuition (SUNY Upstate) instead of 79k (UICOM).

And the funny part is that supposingly... UICOM is ranked higher than Upstate. I know those rankings are generally bs but still... I'm hating this process.

Reactions: 1 user
You're exactly right. How could I have missed that! I've never seen a school break it down in that manner before. It's upsetting because I was just got rejected from Upstate and was really hoping to pay 45k tuition (SUNY Upstate) instead of 79k (UICOM).

And the funny part is that supposingly... UICOM is ranked higher than Upstate. I know those rankings are generally bs but still... I'm hating this process.
Sorry about your rejection from SUNY Upstate. I guess take solace in the fact that Rockford is cheaper than Chicago. At the end of the day, it's a great school that will make you a great physician

Reactions: 1 users