suny upstate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulsista

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I applied to SUNY upstate through the early assurance program and got in. This is so great because it means that as a junior in college, I am assured a seat in their med school when i graduate-without having to take the mcats!!!!!!! Now, my parents want me to take the MCAT and apply to UNC med school since Id be instate. So I was just wondering if anyone has gotten into SUNY through this program and knows if students can apply to other schools or if the acceptance is binding?

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy,
MSII here at Upstate...got in with the EAP and had classmates from undergrad who did as well. One of those classmates applied elsewhere and got in to Rochester.
"Getting in" with the EAP is a non-binding acceptance, but a sort of "gentleman's agreement" between you and the school that you'll go to Upstate.
One condiseration- you can claim residency quite easily in NY and pay state tuition for the last three years of school. I know several classmates from CA/MD who have claimed residency and now pay 20gs less a year. might just tell your folks that option...
Congrats, Sista.

Hey,
Thanks for replying! How do you like upstate and living in Syracuse? I loved the people and the school, but I heard some things such as students are really competitve and that its near impossible to make above a pass. Is that true, in your opinion? Also, given a lot of incredibly hard work, is it doable to get a competitive residency such as opthalmology coming from upstate?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
soulsista said:
Hi,
I applied to SUNY upstate through the early assurance program and got in. This is so great because it means that as a junior in college, I am assured a seat in their med school when i graduate-without having to take the mcats!!!!!!! Now, my parents want me to take the MCAT and apply to UNC med school since Id be instate. So I was just wondering if anyone has gotten into SUNY through this program and knows if students can apply to other schools or if the acceptance is binding?

its not THE MCATS. its THE MCAT.

captbadass said:
its not THE MCATS. its THE MCAT.

who the hell are you and how dare you call yourself captain something?

*pumps fists menacingly*

soulsista said:
Hey,
Thanks for replying! How do you like upstate and living in Syracuse? I loved the people and the school, but I heard some things such as students are really competitve and that its near impossible to make above a pass. Is that true, in your opinion? Also, given a lot of incredibly hard work, is it doable to get a competitive residency such as opthalmology coming from upstate?
Thanks!

Hey,

MSIII here at Upstate. Of all the schools I visited during the interview process Upstate seemed to have the least competative bunch. This has held true for my last three years here. Students study in groups and help each other out a lot. No cut-throat, backstabbing competition here like I've see at other schools. It is not not impossible to get above a pass becuause about 20% get Honors and 20% get high pass in each course.

And finally, very doable to get optho from Upstate. Last year 2 of my friends got optho and I think there was a total of about 5 (not sure exactly but around there) that matched in it with only 1 that applied for optho not matching. One of them matched for optho at Brown a few others down in NYC. Definatelly doable. Had a few people go to Mass Gen and Cornell and Columbia for IM in the past few years.

Been here for the last three years and have nothing but praise for this school Definatelly recommend you coming here. Congrats. on your acceptance.

Best.

I was accepted to upstate last year through the EAP. I go to Binghamton University right now, and have friends that are scrambling to get to interviews and stressing where they'll end up next year. If I were you, I'd forget about the MCAT. Upstate has a great reputation, and their residency matches are excellent. Also, the student body and faculty are great. Syracuse is a nice place to live also. There's a good night life and the medical school is right across from the SU campus so there's a lot of student life. I'd save your money and time, relax for 2 years, and be happy you don't have to work hard. Also, I'm surprised you didn't realize that the EAP was non-binding. That's made clear in the application, interview, and acceptance letter. I think you were really just wondering if you should apply elsewhere. Goodluck!!!!

well i figured since a 2nd and 3rd year answered i will too. now we just need a first year for the full set.

I agree i had not found anyone at upstate that is competitive and think its a great school. U can get a great residency from any school as long as you work hard.

feel free to PM with any questions

CaptainJack02 said:
who the hell are you and how dare you call yourself captain something?

*pumps fists menacingly*

there might not be enough room for two captains on this ship