This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosothoamosoeu

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to Upstate Medical University, and I really like the school. But I'm out of state and tuition is crazy high: $66k. I have read around the internet that it may be possible to switch to in-state tuition after your first year, which is a much more reasonable $45k. Can anyone with experience comment on this? Does this really happen? Steps necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Super easy. Everyone gets in-state tuition after living in NY state for 1 year

Be aware that if you live in subsidized or "on campus" housinf, you may not qualify for residence (this was the case at downstate when I interviewed there)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I want to believe you, but Upstate's website says this only happens in "rare instances" and the qualifications explicitly state that your residence must not be solely for the purpose of attending school, which seems difficult to prove. Do you think financial aid will give me a straight answer if I just ask them?

I want to believe you, but Upstate's website says this only happens in "rare instances" and the qualifications explicitly state that your residence must not be solely for the purpose of attending school, which seems difficult to prove. Do you think financial aid will give me a straight answer if I just ask them?
It's also difficult to disprove which is how I got residence just by attending college in New York. I just went to the DMV with my old license and something proving my address and my passport - after 3 hours in line, voila.

I'm surprised you haven't already called the fa office about this issue. maybe speak with a second year at the school as well

Really? I only know stony brook and downstate. I did not know different SUNYs have different policies. Sorry!
Yeah you should probably contact the school and upperclassmen and ask

MS2 here- I was OOS and granted instate residency this year. It wasn't that difficult to prove but I do believe they are offering fewer and fewer of these exceptions as they want your $$$. For me tho, I would absolutely stay in state if given the opportunity during match so if you are in that boat I would call the registrar and discuss it with them.

Edit: I also did a few things such as sign a lease in July so that when the MS2 semester started the following August I would have proof of 1 year of residency by that lease. I changed my driver's license immediately when I got here. Utility bills, car registration etc... there is a list on their website.

Reactions: 1 user
Residency - SUNY

Why not call the registrar office and see how they determine residency status? But it should be very easy.

MS2 here- I was OOS and granted instate residency this year. It wasn't that difficult to prove but I do believe they are offering fewer and fewer of these exceptions as they want your $$$. For me tho, I would absolutely stay in state if given the opportunity during match so if you are in that boat I would call the registrar and discuss it with them.

Edit: I also did a few things such as sign a lease in July so that when the MS2 semester started the following August I would have proof of 1 year of residency by that lease. I changed my driver's license immediately when I got here. Utility bills, car registration etc... there is a list on their website.

As of last week you can no longer establish in-state residency for in-state tuition at Upstate if you're from OOS

As of last week you can no longer establish in-state residency for in-state tuition at Upstate if you're from OOS
Where are you getting this from? I just spoke with the bursar's office yesterday and they confirmed it can be done so long as you meet the criteria outlined on the website.