SUNY vs. Berkeley

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minipenguin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!!

so, i am having a tough time deciding between SUNY and Berkeley.
any of you guys out there like me??
on one hand, i really enjoyed Berkeley during the interview, but
suny seems like it has so much more to offer. Being in freaking new york city, awesome clinical program (esp vision therapy!! which berkeley doesn't emphasize on) , and have a fantastic base of urban population to see clinically. i know Berkeley is known for their research and such that i have always been interested in, but maybe the college town atmosphere needs to be altered a bit? we've already gone through four years of undergrad in very similar places.... living in NYC just seem like it is going to give me so much more energy and experience.

ahhhhh... but i dont know!!! oh what to do....
what do you guys plan to do???

Members don't see this ad.

ha ha. congratulations on both! those are hard schools. I wish I had your "problem" :) Sounds to me like you already made your decision---- NYC here you come. Good luck. You will love it.

I was going to chose Berkeley, but one of my main reasons was that I wanted to be part of a college town/big college...so my big reason doesn't exactly apply to you. I also don't fear the weather of the Bay as much as NYC, and 4th year would have given me a chance to live at home if I chose to.

On the other hand, I was much more impressed with the facilities at SUNY and I agree, living in NYC would be a great experience. SUNY also is revising its curriculum, so it might even offer a better program than is currently perceived. Unless you live in CA, the cost of SUNY is also lower than Berkeley (even if you live in CA, SUNY tuition is still lower but higher living costs probably would even it out).

I didn't have much of a decision to make though, because I got into SUNY but not Berkeley.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was also undecided between Berkeley & SUNY. To be completely honest, I was far more impressed with the SUNY facility and its clinic (berkeley didn't even show me the clinic on interview day). NYC is amazing, giving SUNY perhaps the best setting of all the Optometry schools. But living in the big apple is going to cost you some big $$. Although the cost of living at Berkeley is high, I don't think it comes close to NYC!

In my opinion, Berkeley has an academic reputation that is unmatched by any other optometry program. Since UCB is a research institution, your professors will also be the top researchers in the field and I think that this will give you some valuable insight on what the future of Optometry will offer. I think that my future patients will have more respect and confidence in me if they see a UC Berkeley diploma hanging on my wall as opposed to a school that they have never even heard of. Being a California resident, the in state tuition is a huge plus. I was also offered a HUGE scholarship to attend Berkeley Optometry, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me because I'll be paying almost nothing for tuition!

Ultimately, the decision is yours to make. And agreeing with everyone else, i think you should go with the school that will cost the least amount of money! And if you choose Berkeley, I'll see you on Admit day!!!!

Hello! I was also undecided between SUNY and Berkeley. I did a lot of thinking as you can read for yourself below. Enjoy :)

Cost:
I'm a CA resident so I may be slightly biased. I actually did a VERY ROUGH estimate on how much it'll cost me to live in Berkeley and NYC. Tuition-wise, SUNY has about a $9000 advantage over Berkeley (assuming the tuition fees at either place remains the same from now through 2012...which is probably highly unlikely). However, when I calculated the cost of living of NYC by pretending that I will be paying $1000/month for rent and transportation (which is probably a generous estimate) compared to the $500/month I'm paying right now at Berkeley for rent, I end up saving more than $20000 over the 4 year period! Once again, very rough estimates but it gave me some idea at least. So cost-wise, Berkeley has a slight advantage overall.

Curriculum:
Berkeley's clinical program ensures every student to have examined 2000+ patients over the period of 4 years. However, one little downside to Berkeley's program is the choice of externship locations. Berkeley doesn't have too many out-of-state locations compared to some other optometry schools in the nation. However, the selection is still decent. Berkeley's academic program is going to be awesome. I also like how Berkeley's first year will kind of ease you into the graduate level education rather than SUNY's first year where I've heard complaints from several current SUNY students. If you look at a sample schedule of a first year student at SUNY that's posted on their website, you see that on some days the student's schedule goes from 9am through 6 or 7pm at night with little break in between!! That personally scares me. I know for a fact that Berkeley's first year schedule is nowhere near that intense since I live with a current first year student right now. Not saying it's so much easier at Berkeley but for sure the first year will be very manageable.

Clinic:
I'd have to give SUNY a slight edge in this area as many of you pointed out before my post. SUNY has probably the biggest clinic out of all the optometry schools AND it draws its patient base from the greater NYC area (8 million people). Berkeley, while having a good clinic facility as well (I've been in the clinics before), probably doesn't draw as many patients as SUNY does. But don't quote me on that one, it's just my intuition :p

Finally, location, location, location. NYC will be EXCITING to live in for sure, even if the cost of living is quite a bit higher than that of Berkeley's. However, since we will all be optometry students at prestigious institutions with pretty challenging curricula at both places, I'm not sure if NYC will still be as exciting as we're making it sound to be after the first couple of years. We will probably be too swamped in exams and practicing our techniques in the clinics to have much time to really go out and have a crazy nightlife all 4 years. Personally, my body prefers Berkeley's climate over that of NYC's. I was born in a humid climate and my body did not like that too much when I was a little kid. SF is right across from Berkeley for people like me who love the city life so we won't be totally be devoid of city life :)

Wow this has been a super long post! Sorry! I hope this somewhat helps you with your decision but as everyone has said, it really comes down to personal preferences. This was definitely one of the hardest decisions I had to make in my life so far. Good luck and I may see you on Admit Day in Berkeley!

Just to clear this up, the living cost for SUNY doesn't have to be that bad. If you live in Manhattan, it will be. But if you live in Queens (Astoria is pretty close to the school), it's 700ish/month. And the subway makes the commute pretty easy (okay, that tacks on an extra 80 dollars/month).

awww thanks guys for ALL the awesome inputs!! i really appriciate it.
im still thinking really hard over both schools... hahahaha
(dude, mwyt15 dont be sorry at allll, that was so informational :) thanks for sharing)

hopefully we'll get to meet each other! one school or another :)

It seems like you all have weighed your pros and cons for each school and area. As a first yr student at SUNY, I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the program! The incoming class of 2012 will have a different schedule than the rest of the school, for they will be following a semester schedule instead of quarters. This will be much more favorable to next yr's class.

No problem minipenguin! Glad to hear that it was informational :) Of course, everyone will have his/her own ways of weighing each factor since our preferences are all different from each other's. Hope you come up with a decision soon! Don't let your friends influence your decision! It's good to have inputs of course, but once again, I can't stress enough that it is YOUR life and not theirs. Wish we can meet each other sooner than later!

destrin24: Do you know how the daily schedules are going to be like next year for first year students? Any inside dish?

myt15, i do not have any inside information about the daily schedule for next year. Once it is it made, I'll be sure to it post here.

ooo destrin24!
how do you like your first year being in SUNY?!
do you get any free time? or are you guys always occupied with many many classes (do they give you....a lotta hw? hahaha) O_O?
how are the professors? classmates?
do you live in manhattan? or commute from queens/brooklyn ?

Hi minipenguin,
I have enjoyed my first year. Looking back, I realized how much I have already learned! However, it has taken time to adjust to the area. Although I was originally from the Northeast, I had taken a year off from school and moved to the south. So it was difficult to get into the routine of things at first.
There is free time, you def. don't want to be consumed with school 24/7. I would say the schedule is demanding, but everyone will adjust to it. By time you finish winter quarter, you will probably become comfortable with it. There is hw, but it for your benefit to keep up and not fall behind on the material. So far, the professors have been very encouraging to students and no one wants to see you fail. Classmates become your support network, as you all will go through the same struggles/stress. I have really enjoyed getting to know them. I currently live in NJ, and communte into the city each day (about 35min one way). I have classmates/professors who lives in queens, brooklyn, long island, staten island, as well as in suburbs outside of NYC.
I hope this help!

Hey minipenguin, have you decided yet? :laugh:

hey mwyt15!!

hahah yes, i have decided to go to SUNY! :)
how about you???

destrin24
Thank you so much for all the detail info about SUNY!!! can't wait till i join you guys this august :)

congrats minipenguin! see you august. if you have other questions, feel free to ask!