SUNY vs. PCo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usa2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could anyone tell me which of these two schools are better ? how can u find student reating about these schools?I really appreciate your help

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone tell me which of these two schools are better ? how can u find student reating about these schools?I really appreciate your help

You've got to be kidding me.

Yeah I just avoided this altogether...

Members don't see this ad :)
what? its a legitimate question, is it not?

There is never a question that is stupid only the people that think they are too cool to answer. Sorry, I don't know enough about the above school, but if you want to know more about SCCO, I can tell you why it is the best school in mine eyes.

There is never a question that is stupid only the people that think they are too cool to answer. Sorry, I don't know enough about the above school, but if you want to know more about SCCO, I can tell you why it is the best school in mine eyes.

Whats a better color, magenta or cyan?

You people are cruel. It was a serious question.... that deserves a serious response. Hopefully some of the immaturity and cruelty will show through when you all apply to schools. If you think it’s a stupid question, keep it to yourself and don’t waste your time making some rude remark. Grow up people. I hope these terrible and snotty attitudes are not going to follow me to optometry school.

usa2009,
Opt schools do not have an “official ranking” like most programs of study. I would recommend visiting the school’s website. There, you can request more info from the schools (usually a mailed packet). You might also want to call each school that has caught your interest for more information. The admissions department is there to give you information about the schools, so hit them up! They usually are very receptive to potential students.
Good luck.

You people are cruel. It was a serious question.... that deserves a serious response. Hopefully some of the immaturity and cruelty will show through when you all apply to schools. If you think it’s a stupid question, keep it to yourself and don’t waste your time making some rude remark. Grow up people. I hope these terrible and snotty attitudes are not going to follow me to optometry school.

usa2009,
Opt schools do not have an “official ranking” like most programs of study. I would recommend visiting the school’s website. There, you can request more info from the schools (usually a mailed packet). You might also want to call each school that has caught your interest for more information. The admissions department is there to give you information about the schools, so hit them up! They usually are very receptive to potential students.
Good luck.

The question deserved the remarks it got because a) There are students here from both schools, and to say one is "better" than the other is rude. b) Since there isn't a rating system, there are obviously different factors involved for the reasons people want to go to different schools.

The attitude only comes towards lazy people who choose not to do their own research on schools and the application process.

By the way, other than verbally spanking us, you didn't really answer the question with any type of certainty either.

The question deserved the remarks it got because a) There are students here from both schools, and to say one is "better" than the other is rude. b) Since there isn't a rating system, there are obviously different factors involved for the reasons people want to go to different schools.

The attitude only comes towards lazy people who choose not to do their own research on schools and the application process.

By the way, other than verbally spanking us, you didn't really answer the question with any type of certainty either.

I think when the OP said "better" he/she was asking for the pros/cons of the schools.

All I can say is that if you are going to attend PCO, you need a vechile to get to the clinic.

I still think all questions are valid, but not all questions might be valid to 100% of the crowd. I choose to respond to this one because I see a break down in communication between two parties. Imagine being a doctor presently and a patient or a friend comes into your office and asks you a question that may seem a little silly according to you, what would you do? Would you choose to not respond or would you really try to listen to the meaning more than the wording? These forums are one method of practicing our etiquette when asking and responding to questions. Do we want to portray ourselves as the know it all Doctors and only respond to questions that we think are intelligent or do we try to find out what they are really asking us. On the other hand when asking a question such as the one above, a little more preparation would be in order. One example could be: "I have been researching a the above two schools and found out that the location of each...and the tuition of each...and the faculty of each...could some one help me find more information on community surrounding the campus...or help me with residency programs offered by the schools... or those that applied could you tell me the reasons that you applied to such and such school..." Again I don't know too much about these schools, but maybe some of these example questions could initiate some conversation.

I still think all questions are valid, but not all questions might be valid to 100% of the crowd. I choose to respond to this one because I see a break down in communication between two parties. Imagine being a doctor presently and a patient or a friend comes into your office and asks you a question that may seem a little silly according to you, what would you do? Would you choose to not respond or would you really try to listen to the meaning more than the wording? These forums are one method of practicing our etiquette when asking and responding to questions. Do we want to portray ourselves as the know it all Doctors and only respond to questions that we think are intelligent or do we try to find out what they are really asking us. On the other hand when asking a question such as the one above, a little more preparation would be in order. One example could be: "I have been researching a the above two schools and found out that the location of each...and the tuition of each...and the faculty of each...could some one help me find more information on community surrounding the campus...or help me with residency programs offered by the schools... or those that applied could you tell me the reasons that you applied to such and such school..." Again I don't know too much about these schools, but maybe some of these example questions could initiate some conversation.

Your analogy kind of falls apart when you consider the fact that the question is addressed to a general public. If someone asked me this question, worded exactly the same, in a one on one situation, I would never just ignore it--regardless of how stupid I thought the question was. And it's not even that I think this is a particularly stupid question, it's just extremely apparent that the poster hasn't done any research on his or her own.

Maybe it's just a personal thing, but laziness is a pet peeve of mine. 95% the information that I have on these schools is readily available to anyone that bothers to look for it.

But I agree that any of those example questions would be great to incite conversation.

can't anyone give the OP a straight forward answer..?

PCO is superior, duh.

in more seriousness, i know that both PCO and SUNY have a well established and respectable program (PCO's older). Some points about PCO that makes me KNOW that i made the best choice:
- PCO has been around for many years (over 60?)
- PCO has contracts with ALOT of sites at ALL the states in the US for your externship.
- module system (which is wonderful once you figure out how it works) that allows a much more time spent in clinical externships - which in my opinion is pretty darn important.
- VERY high board passing rates (i think 95 or 98%)
- even though PCO has other programs (PA and audiology), they don't mix students together. so you're not going to be learning unnecessary info geared towards another degree.
- a large diverse class. everyone gets along pretty well.
- state of the art gym/ rec center
- excellent faculty, most of them have been around for more than 10 years. very responsible, and most of them are nice and helpful.
- Clinic serves a diverse population, which allows you to see all kinds of ocular conditions. i've already observed more ocular diseases during my first semester here compared to the two years that i spent as a tech at a group practice in an affluent neighborhood.
- no stupid dress codes on campus (but yes, shirt and tie in clinic).

all in all, you get the freedom to learn at your own style. However, they don't baby you so you'll need to have good time management or else you'll probably flunk out by second semester. Either school you choose, you'll get a great education. g'luck!

Just a note. I was not trying to offend anyone. It may seem that some took offense.

pienfoo answered this question perfectly. When someone asks this type of question it is best to here from students from the different schools because they know more then reading a dozen pamphlets will ever tell you. If you are not a student at one of the schools in question maybe you shouldn't answer unless you have something worthwhile to add that will continue to inform the users of this forum.

Thank you Serratiowank and pienfoo for your responses and support. I really feel sorry for you blysssful and kengari and I really feel sorry for a country that you are going to be a healthcare profession and a doctor. If u think questions are stupid how are u gonna deal with diverse population of patients that may not be as SMART AS u R??Your attitude toward a simple question is really silly not my question. If you don’t like the question DO NOT ANSWER! Nobody asked U! don’t have any kindness in your heart. I did not want to be offensive in any ways.. I have done my research and that did not answer all my question. I have no idea why u think this question is stupid since I have seen lots of people pose these kind of questions. I just wanted to know the opinion of people about these school. I wasn’t more specific because I wanted to people give their honest opinion about different aspects of these two schools. Again, if u don’t like the question DON’T BOTHER. I HAVE A PIECE OF RECOMMENDATION FOR U !BEFORE EBCOMING A DECOTOR U NEED TO EBCOME A HUMAN AND BECOME MORE OPEN MINDED!

First I did not say your question was stupid, I quote from my response, "I still think all questions are valid, but not all questions might be valid to 100% of the crowd." Where in that response did I state that your question was stupid?? I was actually trying to defend your response and at the same time trying to understand the other arguments. I did not try to insult anyone directly and I think if you reread my response you might just see that. I am truly sorry for trying to understand the situation and to defend your "valid question" In addition if you reread my response I see no demeaning statements given. I think this is yet another great example of "break down in communication between two parties."

This question is for usa2009: What are the top three things you are looking for in a school? The reason that I ask this is the same question was asked to me when I was interviewing for schools.

Thank you Serratiowank and pienfoo for your responses and support. I really feel sorry for you blysssful and kengari and I really feel sorry for a country that you are going to be a healthcare profession and a doctor. If u think questions are stupid how are u gonna deal with diverse population of patients that may not be as SMART AS u R??Your attitude toward a simple question is really silly not my question. If you don’t like the question DO NOT ANSWER! Nobody asked U! don’t have any kindness in your heart. I did not want to be offensive in any ways.. I have done my research and that did not answer all my question. I have no idea why u think this question is stupid since I have seen lots of people pose these kind of questions. I just wanted to know the opinion of people about these school. I wasn’t more specific because I wanted to people give their honest opinion about different aspects of these two schools. Again, if u don’t like the question DON’T BOTHER. I HAVE A PIECE OF RECOMMENDATION FOR U !BEFORE EBCOMING A DECOTOR U NEED TO EBCOME A HUMAN AND BECOME MORE OPEN MINDED!

Lord.

First of all, if you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I specifically said that I didn't necessarily think the question was stupid; I said that it indicated that you have not done your own research on the schools and were expecting others to do the work for you. If you actually have done research on the schools, then fantastic. Learn how to convey that in your posts.

Second, if you couldn't figure out that kengari was DEFENDING YOU, then there are clearly larger obstacles for you to deal with.

Third, if you had taken the time to ask a meaningful question, you would have gotten a meaningful response. Like I said before, asking which school is "better" is pointless considering the multitude of factors that go into making the decision between two schools. If you had asked any of the questions that kengari suggested, it would have been extremely different.

And lastly, calm down. There's no need to stomp around like a child. I didn't question your aptitude for the profession or even very much about you as a person. I said that asking other people to do your work for you is lazy-- that is an assessment on the action (or, lack thereof), not on you as a person because I don't know you as a person. Ha, but jeez, you must know me *so well* to be able to say I "don’t have any kindness in [my] heart" and that I'm apparently not even human. :rolleyes:

If my question is not meaningful stop making comment. Again don't bother... It seems u have so much time to waste just commenting about what type of question people should pose..I had a question and they were so many people answered me.. u r the one keep making fun of something very simple. I am not lazy and have done your reasearch. Its funny because i saw u asked this kind of question somewhere else in the forum asking people to give u sugegstion which school to choose..just stop bothering people in the forum and go find something productiveto do if u dont try to be helpful in this forum. ya i do not know u as a person, but from your retortion and narrow mindedness i can tell what kind of person u r! I never argued in any forum like that, but u made me!just dont bother

Last edited: