Super cereal question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DolFAN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you prefer your scotch neat or with an ice cube. Dare I say...mixed with a soda?

I only recently got into it and I have to let the ice melt a bit before I can really enjoy it.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you prefer your scotch neat or with an ice cube. Dare I say...mixed with a soda?

I only recently got into it and I have to let the ice melt a bit before I can really enjoy it.
Whiskey stones and a splash of water but it depends on the scotch/bourbon.

Whiskey stones and a splash of water but it depends on the scotch/bourbon.
Ya know, I can not get into whiskey stones. Maybe I use the wrong kind. I don't feel like they cool the scotch off enough. And I hate when they move around the bottom of the glass.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neat or STFU.
N. You want to get the alcohol content to 40% or so otherwise the alcohol burn masks flavors. Many are sold that way (40-46%), but some of the other stuff is really hot. My octomore is like 59.1%
But not cold. F that.

Reactions: 1 user
F all y'all while I'm drinking my Labatt Blue here.

Labatt!!! Man I miss that stuff. I went to college in buffalo ny, it was our water.

Also... Neat. I do like the whiskey stones, but I find it's got better finish when room temp.

Also also... Really thought this was going,to be about cereal. Luckily the threat redemed itself with alcohol

N. You want to get the alcohol content to 40% or so otherwise the alcohol burn masks flavors. Many are sold that way (40-46%), but some of the other stuff is really hot. My octomore is like 59.1%
But not cold. F that.

Agreed. If you're drinking cask strength without a little water in it, you're doing so because you either
A: like the taste of ethanol or
B: were told that "the only correct way to drink scotch is neat"

Ah, the Octomore... was pleasantly surprised with that one. And yes, I tried it just to try it.
Got to visit Bruichladdich (and a whole slew of others) this past summer - Islay is simply lovely. No, let me correct that: Scotland is simply lovely. (BTW, Bruichladdich makes a lovely gin as well, called the Botanist. But gin is a whole other topic.)

I'm more of a Laphroaig girl now (well, not the 10. The 18 is amazing...) but also appreciate a nice Speyside. Neat with a tiny splash of water, room temperature for me. A little more water if it's the cask strength.

bourbon is much better than scotch. i like it with a large icecube

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
F all y'all while I'm drinking my Labatt Blue here.
Molson Canadian is the superior northern brew. Although I'll always have a soft spot for the $5 pitchers of Moosehead in college.

I like a single large ice cube. I love scotch but have really gotten into bourbons and ryes over the last few years. Delicious

bourbon is much better than scotch. i like it with a large icecube

It's ok. You can be wrong.
Bourbon and Scotch are both whiskies. The differences can range from subtle to huge. There are some bourbons out there with smoky flavors.
Corsair_Triple_Smoke_American_Malt_Whiskey_1201752.jpg
brimstone-2016.png

BTW, balcones is freaking awesome. The triple smoke is nice for the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
they are both whiskeys, i understand that, but scotches ard much more peatty and usually less complexity. but scotches are typically smoother least the 20+ yr ones i drink

scotches ard much more peatty and usually less complexity. but scotches are typically smoother least the 20+ yr ones i drink
Only Highland, Islay, and Cambelltown are peated. Lowland and Speyside aren't always. And it's laughable to say they are less complex.

Reactions: 1 users
they are both whiskeys, i understand that, but scotches ard much more peatty and usually less complexity. but scotches are typically smoother least the 20+ yr ones i drink

I'm with Dr. McNinja on this one. This post is a completely and utterly false description of scotch and bourbon.

complexity is the wrong word my friends, i didnt mean to insult your tastes. i just find them not as bold in flavor.

Prefer an ice cube in my bourbon/rye, scotch with a splash of water.

And just to clear it up: scotch = whisky, bourbon/rye/Irish malts = whiskey. Groundskeeper Willie says so.

complexity is the wrong word my friends, i didnt mean to insult your tastes. i just find them not as bold in flavor.

Then you are drinking the wrong Scotch, my friend...

FYI, I like Bourbon too, but it's a different taste for a different time.

Depends on the setting and the scotch. Cheap whiskey, club soda, and ice cubes is great if I want something refreshing. Medium priced whiskey with a big ice cube is a nice drink to sip with friends. High end whiskey +/- a splash of water is great if my focus is on enjoying the scotch or pairing with a cigar.

Prefer an ice cube in my bourbon/rye, scotch with a splash of water.

And just to clear it up: scotch = whisky, bourbon/rye/Irish malts = whiskey. Groundskeeper Willie says so.
Yep. Whisky without the e, boy-o

I do not drink whiskey, so go easy on me. Someone explain the title to me, please. Cereal, like cereal grain?

I do not drink whiskey, so go easy on me. Someone explain the title to me, please. Cereal, like cereal grain?

It's a south park reference from an Al gore episode where he says super cereal rather than super serious.

Lettuce be cereal.

Bourbon and rye neat. Sometimes a few drops of water with very high proof/cask strength bourbons. Scotch is pretentious and if your tastes are different from mine than you are obviously a terrible person and not fit to drink whiskey.

Reactions: 1 users
Molson Canadian is the superior northern brew. Although I'll always have a soft spot for the $5 pitchers of Moosehead in college.
I'll give you your wrong opinion here. Some few 10 years ago, 50% of Canadian beer was Molson, 49.5% Labatt, and the last half a percent everyone else (Moosehead, Alexander Keith's, Rickards, Kokanee, all of them). I don't know if it changed since then. But, if you think Canadien is superior, you are objectively incorrect. Still, Canadian beer is like pizza or women - even when bad, they're good!

Had a bar in college that would sell penny Canadian beer on July 1st. I feel like I went, but it's kind of hazy...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll give you your wrong opinion here. Some few 10 years ago, 50% of Canadian beer was Molson, 49.5% Labatt, and the last half a percent everyone else (Moosehead, Alexander Keith's, Rickards, Kokanee, all of them). I don't know if it changed since then. But, if you think Canadien is superior, you are objectively incorrect. Still, Canadian beer is like pizza or women - even when bad, they're good!
While I have a soft-spot for the Labatt commercials (although that bear should really have gone bar down after that sick dangle), we will need to agree to disagree on the power rankings. Sort of off off-topic, does anyone have a preferred ice cube tray for the large cubes?

i use the silicone molds. just one icecube per container

I personally hate scotch! No idea why I can't get myself to enjoy a glass. I LOVE whiskey and bourbon but scotch, it doesnt matter the brand/quality, I cant do it. I'll take my bourbon with an ice ball.

I personally hate scotch! No idea why I can't get myself to enjoy a glass. I LOVE whiskey and bourbon but scotch, it doesnt matter the brand/quality, I cant do it. I'll take my bourbon with an ice ball.
Try Irish whiskey. It's like scotch but without any peat.

I love my Irish Whiskey! It's only scotch! Even Blue Label and Mac, I was not a fan of.
That's because you're doing it wrong. Those 2 suck pretty hard.

For an easily obtainable, relatively affordable, non-peaty, Scotch (I hate the Islay stuff, tastes like grass clippings), try Balvenie Double Wood or 12 (or longer aged) year.