Superficial Questions about PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgDPT2021

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely serious about PT school. Don’t get me wrong. I am confident in my skills and am capable of building great rapport with people. However, I have this nagging thing I bury deep inside called low self-esteem (image related).

With that I ask to fellow student PT women, do you have time to put on makeup during a regular weekday before school?

And to both genders alike, how often do we have to take off our shirts in class?

Please don’t be cruel. I’m already too embarrassed to ask this to my friends who are PTs or in PT school.

For anyone who helps,
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am absolutely serious about PT school. Don’t get me wrong. I am confident in my skills and am capable of building great rapport with people. However, I have this nagging thing I bury deep inside called low self-esteem (image related).

With that I ask to fellow student PT women, do you have time to put on makeup during a regular weekday before school?

And to both genders alike, how often do we have to take off our shirts in class?

Please don’t be cruel. I’m already too embarrassed to ask this to my friends who are PTs or in PT school.

For anyone who helps,
Thank you!

I have time to put on make-up but it only takes me less than 10 minutes, so if you plan accordingly, I don't see how not! A lot of girls in my class do not wear make-up on a daily basis but I at least need mascara and some under-eye concealer to go about my day. I find that it gives me one less thing to worry about (my appearance), when I am presentable. Looking nice also helps boost my confidence and I am more likely to interact with people as a result.

Moreover, we do have to take off our shirts for UE and Spine labs, but you get used to it.. trust me. You don't have time to look around at others because you are immersed in what you are learning.

Reactions: 1 user
I can make do with 10 minutes! Or at least practice a good routine until then . I hear you with appearances being one less thing to worry about and I also get the confidence boost from just trying to make myself look presentable.

Ahh dreading the shirt off thing but okay, learning is important! I gotta do what I gotta do

Members don't see this ad :)
Before I got into PT school, I was also worried about having to go shirtless. I'll tell you that we go shirtless quite a bit in lab BUT it is not a big deal. Nobody is judging and it happens so much it just becomes second nature and you're comfortable. We're all in it together.

When you become a practicing PT, you will encounter a diverse range of body types, all sizes and all ages. If you are lucky, your PT cohort will not be composed 100% of Greek gods/goddesses. Whatever your shape, symmetry, skin type, scars, hair pattern, it will be an opportunity for your classmates to learn and practice their skills. I think you will find that you are not the only self-conscience one and that a good clinician would never want to embarrass you.

DocTAP87- That was a comforting comment. I’m looking forward to the comraderie in that struggle! Thank you for taking the time to post it.

SATXDPT- Very valid points! I giggled reading the Greek gods and goddesses part, that’s exactly what I imagine. Other than that, I found your thought process very professional. I respect and appreciate your comment. It helped me. I imagine you’ll be an exceptional clinician.

I worry about the same things, cgDPT2021. I'm a nontraditional student (I'm 32) and have lots of knee issues that have made it really difficult for me to stay in the physical condition that I would like to be in. I'm just banking on my cohort finding my case interesting enough that they'll ignore my imperfect body. :)

You take your shirt off quite often, especially when you're on the spine/back section of your curriculum, BUT only the first few times are awkward. Before you know it, you are so comfortable taking your shirt off in a way that you never thought you would be, I promise

It was never a problem. PT school at any size. It could be worse. You could be going to esthetician school!

I appreciate when girls take an extra step besides roll out of bed and put on yoga pants. That is typical for PT school, and there is plenty of time to get ready in the mornings just like college

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For anyone who helps,
Thank you!

Our class had our shirts off week 1 for palpations in anatomy it just comes with the territory. No one really cares about your body type when doing this tho because everyone is paying a ton of money to learn anatomy and how to be a PT not to look at people shirtless.