"Supervisor" recommendation letter - HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sashagrl259

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm filling out pharmcas right now for the Fall 2009-2010 admissions cycle. One of my schools requires one LOR from a "supervisor." However, I've never been a pharmacy tech, and I volunteered at a hospital pharmacy last summer. I'm not volunteering there this summer because I HAD to find a job and the hours did not work out. The only job I could find was at a restaurant that I worked at during high school :(. However the manager made me a shift manager which helps.

I called the school and asked if my undergraduate research supervisor would fulfill the requirement, but they said it has to be an employer or volunteer supervisor.

I basically haven't had a steady job except for random ones during the summers. I am going to find a steady job (hopefully at a pharmacy!) once I move back to school in August... Will that be too late to ask for a LOR??

Should I go back to where I volunteered and ask if they remember me and can help? Ask my restaurant manager? Try and get one from a job during the year? What should I do?!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Doesn't research technically count as volunteer work? That may be stretching it?

If I were you, I would get it from the person that knows you the best. Sounds like the restaurant manager?

You can get that one for now, and then try to work at a pharmacy to secure an additional LOR later on if possible. Max LOR to send is 4

IMO, your stats seem solid enough where this may matter much.

Yeah I thought I would be safe with the research supervisor. I called back the hospital pharmacy, and they agreed to write me one. :xf::)

Thanks!!

I'm filling out pharmcas right now for the Fall 2009-2010 admissions cycle. One of my schools requires one LOR from a "supervisor." However, I've never been a pharmacy tech, and I volunteered at a hospital pharmacy last summer. I'm not volunteering there this summer because I HAD to find a job and the hours did not work out. The only job I could find was at a restaurant that I worked at during high school :(. However the manager made me a shift manager which helps.

I called the school and asked if my undergraduate research supervisor would fulfill the requirement, but they said it has to be an employer or volunteer supervisor.

I basically haven't had a steady job except for random ones during the summers. I am going to find a steady job (hopefully at a pharmacy!) once I move back to school in August... Will that be too late to ask for a LOR??

Should I go back to where I volunteered and ask if they remember me and can help? Ask my restaurant manager? Try and get one from a job during the year? What should I do?!

Any advice would be appreciated.

You won't need to re-volunteer to get that LOR... Just ask the pharmacist who was supervising you, through email, for a letter. And you'll be set... that's what I did.