supp app question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cl2641

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im in the supp app process right now and I just have a question on what others have done. for one of the essays i need to write it says please limit to under 1250 words. So does this mean i should at least have 1000 words or what? Will it look bad if i only have say 400 words? I only ask because the pharmcas personal statement is max 4500 characters, which is around 800 words or so, so i cant imagine having to write double my personal statement on a question i basically answered already lol. please help.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend NOT copying and pasting the essay from PharmCAS. Your school will receive that anyway? Why would they ask you to write an essay if they didn't want you to say something different?

What is the specific topic that the supp app is asking you about? Write a focused essay about that and let your PharmCAS essay be a more general one.

the question is asking me to explain how my EC's will help shape me as a future pharmacist in less that 1250 words. Im not saying im going to copy my personal statement, i just cant seem to figure out how to write that much on something that i touched on in my personal statement. does that make sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
How exactly did you touch upon it in your PharmCAS? Was it something like how your ECs reflect your interest in pharm or was it more like how your ECs shaped you into a potential pharmacist (ex: leadership skills..etc)?

basically i had a portion of my personal statement that used my EC (volunteering at a hospital pharmacy). blah blah blah on how going above and beyonds for patients is why i do what i do there. other than citing specific examples i just cant seem to think of a way to write a 2 page paper with this as my only EC :(

Is hospital pharmacy the only EC you have?? No research study or club involvement?

yes:( . I have other pharmacy experience (full time pharm tech for 5 years), but im pretty sure that they dont want me to put that in this section since its not an EC, its work experience. financial setbacks have kinda required me to work so much, thus leaving me little time for volunteering, but i dont want to sound all boohoo, i know everyone has a life lol

So I'm assuming you did hospital volunteer before getting a pharm tech job?

no, long story short my job made me change my career choice to pharmacy. i wanted to see another setting other than the crazy fast paced one that was Walgreens. that's why i volunteered at the hospital pharmacy, to kind of get a different perspective on the profession, which i did. it made me see that there was more than just counting as many pills as fast as you can. the role of the pharmacist was much different in the hospital, if that makes sense.

And that sounds like a great essay topic. Retail vs. Institutional Pharmacy: How your experience in the hospital broadened your mind in terms of the role of the pharmacist and what makes up a great hospital pharmacist in that sort of workplace setting (ex: teamwork). Not only do you go above and beyond when it comes to patient care but you went above and beyond when it came down to what type of pharmacy setting you wanted to work in. That could a be a really good running theme for you.

Yes I know it's 1250 words you have to write, but it would be nice if you wrote at least 1000 words as opposed to 400 lol

thanks, thats a good idea! It brings me to another question lol. like i said before, is it ok to talk about my work experience in this essay. the question it asks is " how will your EC that you listed on your pharmcas app shape you as a pharmacist. so is it ok to put work in there even though work experience is not under the EC section of the pharmcas app?

I honestly can't see a problem with touching a little bit about your work experience as long as you explain why you decided to volunteer at the EC later on and how it was the EC that ultimately shaped your decision for a career in hospital pharmacy. For a long time, people have the wrong idea of what the role of a pharmacist really is, which to them is "counting pills all day." Be that person to argue otherwise!

Last edited:
ok, thnx for clarifying for me :)