Supplementing Kaplan Course w/ EK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nfg05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently enrolled in a Kaplan course started 5/13 and preparing for a mid to late August MCAT administration. I'm somewhat regretting doing Kaplan after reading a lot of negative stuff about it on this board and seeing so much positive stuff for EK. Since I'm not ready to completely abandon the Kaplan schedule and materials I shelled out $1800 for, I'm wondering what areas people would swap out with EK over Kaplan. I know EK Verbal 101 is a must, but beyond that I'd rather not buy all the EK content books and all the 1001 books for science for another $200 or so if they're not going to be much better for raising my score than Kaplan. Guidance from people who have prepared with both would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm studying for the June test right now, and I've been suprisingly impressed by Kaplan thusfar. I also remember reading negative things about Kaplan, but that hasn't been a problem. The content review is pretty good, and the amount of material they give you is amazing, plus it's organized/presented in a visually pleasing manner. From what I understand, the main complaint about kaplan is that the tests are not representative of the aamc tests. That's okay though for me, because I want to do all the tests. The kaplan full length tests and sectional tests are turning out to be great practice. My score has gone up a lot since I started taking practice tests (29 to 34 in 6 tests, but I still have 13 tests to go).

I have done most of the EK verbal book, and it is noticably different than the kaplan's verbal. I really can't see how doing kaplan's verbal tests are a waste of time, although I understand why people say EK's is more like the real thing.

I haven't done the EK science books, but I've heard people say positive things about them because they're more concise. I mean that's good if your in a rush, but not necessarily better for others with time.

Just my opinion.