Supply Fees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O Gaúcho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for the Navy not to cover the Supply Fee? My school invoiced that Navy and they told my school they do not cover the Supply Fee. I have ALWAYS heard that they cover the supply fee. Since it is mandatory for all dental students. I am so confused and actually kinda mad about this. I have always been told they cover the Lab/ supply fee. Anyone have any experience or advice on how to deal with this? Is there a number to call to talk to somebody? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You'd have to be more specific on what the "supply fee" consists of. Each school probably calls it something different.

You'd have to be more specific on what the "supply fee" consists of. Each school probably calls it something different.
It's literally called, "Supply/Lab/Instrument Fee." The Navy told my school they would pay the Lab and Instrument fee, but not the Supply Fee. Supplies for SIM clinic and what not. Like wax, teeth, etc. Which comes out to about $5k a year. So $20k over the next four years

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that doesn't sound right. You might just have to pay it and send it in on your reimbursement form. Most of that stuff comes in everybody's dental kits and those are usually reimbursed once you fill out the form. Before spending a bunch of time arguing with them I would just pay it and send in the form. If they don't pay it then, I would start questioning it more. Once you send it in it takes about 3 days for them to open the document and then about a week to tell you whether it's approved or not. (Then once it gets approved about another 7 days to get deposited in your account.)

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah that doesn't sound right. You might just have to pay it and send it in on your reimbursement form. Most of that stuff comes in everybody's dental kits and those are usually reimbursed once you fill out the form. Before spending a bunch of time arguing with them I would just pay it and send in the form. If they don't pay it then, I would start questioning it more. Once you send it in it takes about 3 days for them to open the document and then about a week to tell you whether it's approved or not. (Then once it gets approved about another 7 days to get deposited in your account.)
I do feel cheated and kinda mad about it, so this is great advice. Thanks.

Also I was told by my school that I am their first Navy dental student they have had. So they weren't too sure about what would be covered or not. But the other two branches had no problem paying for the mandatory fees for other students. So they too were surprised that Navy opted out paying for the Supply fee.

I do feel cheated and kinda mad about it, so this is great advice. Thanks.

Also I was told by my school that I am their first Navy dental student they have had. So they weren't too sure about what would be covered or not. But the other two branches had no problem paying for the mandatory fees for other students. So they too were surprised that Navy opted out paying for the Supply fee.

You just need to provide them a list of what is specifically covered in that fee as well as documentation that it is required of all students.

Is it a fee or a budget for supplies?

We get a budget for supplies for sim clinic use like teeth, but we can't get that reimbursed because it's not a fee that is required of all student.

If this is a fee that is automatically charged to your account and everyone else's account, then you shouldn't have a problem with having that being reimbursed.

Is it a fee or a budget for supplies?

We get a budget for supplies for sim clinic use like teeth, but we can't get that reimbursed because it's not a fee that is required of all student.

If this is a fee that is automatically charged to your account and everyone else's account, then you shouldn't have a problem with having that being reimbursed.
It is a fee that is required for all students. I paid it and sent in a reimbursement already so hopefully there aren't anymore complications.