Supply list for first year of Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

melmis18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will be attending ICO in the fall and have a quick question? What do I need for my first year in terms of school supplies?

During my interview process many current students said that they don't buy the books. Is that true?
Also, do people use computers of tablets more often? I heard ipads are very helpful from these same students.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

School supplies are different from the required equipment list for first year professional students, which include white coat/diagnostic kits/etc. Pen and paper are all you need. No need to buy books because there is an amazing library. They also have all the calculators you'll need for tests. Many computers are found on campus to use. Bring any computer you want that you are comfortable with. But tread lightly bringing a laptop into a class: your neighbors may not like the constant typing sounds - just saying.

pen,paper,highlighter,win. Library = books,computers,calculators

I bring a laptop to class everyday. No one minds because my study guides save a lot of butts every quarter. ;) And we've developed kind of a "laptop section" up in front, where all of us with laptops click away, lol. All the seats have outlets, which is super convenient.

Nope, you don't need to buy the books, but you may end up wanting some for reference, say, when you go off to practice - but no need to worry about that now.

I'd say just bring...
- some pens and pencils (your favorite #2)
- a pack of colored markers/highlighters/pencils/pens/etc. (will come in handy in Anatomy!)
- a TI-30 type calculator
- a BUNCH of binders (I always preferred a lot of 1" binders, but some other folks went with just having a couple big 3"+ ones)
- a laptop (you'll use it a lot outside of class if you don't use it in class)
- a good coffee/tea travel mug
- a warm coat, holy moly it gets cold here

PM me with any Q's you got, and see you in August!