Surely everybody already knew this

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

cthrowaway

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hospitals charge (and private insurers pay) more than Medicare rates.

I thought everybody knew that.


I remember a little over a year ago the Rand Corporation published a study (by at least one of the same authors) announcing that Medicare rates are ridiculously low. (Private Health Plans Pay Hospitals Much More Than What Medicare Would Pay) No, that wasn't the headline, but it was the gist. It wasn't a surprise, of course, but it generated some headlines.

The latest study (Private Health Plans Pay Hospitals 247% of What Medicare Would Pay) reports the same findings. I applaud the authors for beating that same drum, but why are our medical societies (the AMA, yes, but specifically the ASA) allowing the headline to be anything besides this: Medicare rates are ridiculously low.

Related to that, I remember reading a headline (and maybe even a thread somewhere on SDN) where other physicians were complaining that anesthesiologists were making off like bandits because we sometimes get 3X the rates from private insurers as we get from Medicare. Internists and surgeons wouldn't accept Medicare patients for 33% of private insurance rates--some don't accept Medicare patients at 80% of insurance rates. Anesthesiologists aren't in a position to pick and choose patients the way internists and surgeons sometimes can.

Why isn't the ASA getting the truth published?

Other doctors need to know that Medicare is screwing anesthesiologists the very worst. The public needs to know that most hospitals claim they will go out of business if their only payor is Medicare. Lawmakers need to realize that Medicare for All will necessarily require higher reimbursements, or hospitals and clinics will move to cash-only en masse.
 
I don't think internists or pediatricians are overpaid. I think that procedures are overpaid, and thinking is underpaid.

Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm sad to admit it, but I would have considered becoming a pediatrician had the pay been better.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As Joe consumer, I just want my care to be cheap or free. Now you add balance billing into the mix. It’s complicated and confusing enough for us who are in it and whose livelihoods depend on it.

How do you explain it to Joe Consumer when they cannot even find transparent pricing on most of these stuff? What do you tell a self pay patient how much do you charge for providing anesthesia? It’s a mess, no matter how you look at it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dhb
... but why are our medical societies (the AMA, yes, but specifically the ASA) allowing the headline to be anything besides this: Medicare rates are ridiculously low.

....

Why isn't the ASA getting the truth published?


I think the answer to this is that our medical societies have no control over what a random journalist from the NYT or any other publication decides to publish, especially if those journalists decide not to even ask their opinion. The AMA and ASA can publish their own articles and press statements, but the only way these will get picked up by the press is if their members spread these statements (twitter, FB, whatever) so non-physicians and especially non-members can see them.