Surface Pro 3 Unveiled... 1 week after I order my Thinkpad Yoga

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I run multiple servers. So your 3 towers are nothing. In fact, I have 3-4 times the amount of towers in my house right now alone, excluding servers.

Advice: don't ever start measuring d*** because someone always has a bigger one. ;-) I know it was a joke, but still...

Actually I think the ratio of penis size to epeen follows 1/2^x.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually I think the ratio of penis size to epeen follows 1/2^x.
lawl, wasnt an epeen contest, he made it one. it was a joke.

go troll elsewhere gramps.

Last edited:
I'm about to pull the trigger on the SP3. I can't resist it.

Do you know whether I should get the i5/4GB/128GB or the i5/8GB/256GB one. Looks like the price difference between the two is about 269 dollars...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
FS really doesn't count, and you know it. I had 6 towers and a server in my UG dorm, and ran a local server for CS and some FS, and I've never been an 'IT professional'. No biggie. On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that a med student has the time to run and manage multiple FS servers while building/updating machines.
I am not in medical school yet.

A server is a server. It may not be complex (actually, simplicity is a thing I strive for when engineering servers/networks), but it is still a server that needs to be backed up, secured, and maintained.

When I start MS1, I will be using 4 computers. 1 mac laptop(school requires it), 1 laptop that has sensitive info on it that I rarely go online for, 1 trash laptop to watch movies and go to webpages with cookies (like sdn) and can be stolen/broken, and one back up in case anything crashes. I'll keep the FS at home, not at my apartment at school.

I have a lot more servers running than FS. But we don't need to get into it here.

For the record, when set up right, the maintenance is very minimal. Problem is that most people/IT pros don't know what they are doing.

I am not in medical school yet.

When I start , I will be using 4 computers. 1 mac laptop(school requires it), 1 laptop that has sensitive info on it that I rarely go online for, 1 trash laptop to watch movies and go to webpages with cookies (like sdn) and can be stolen/broken, and one back up. I'll keep the FS at home.

I have a lot more servers running than FS. But we don't need to get into it here.
:eyebrow:

Reactions: 1 user

Do you know whether I should get the i5/4GB/128GB or the i5/8GB/256GB one. Looks like the price difference between the two is about 269 dollars...
I would get the pricier one. Running out of space is an issue unless you want to run around with multiple devices or have a cloud.

Ghosting is only a minor annoyance. I get it on my mbp retina all the time, yeah you notice it a little but it's not gonna make it more difficult to do any work

I would get the pricier one. Running out of space is an issue unless you want to run around with multiple devices or have a cloud.

+2 Get the 8gb one. The cost is minimal and, besides the HD, the extra ram will be nice when you're trying to run something HD or play a game.

My surface pro 2 is life. Can't live without it.

The cost is minimal? 269 seems like a big difference in price! I do have most of my stuff hosted on Dropbox and Google Drive if that makes any difference.

The cost is minimal? 269 seems like a big difference in price! I do have most of my stuff hosted on Dropbox and Google Drive if that makes any difference.
Doubling your ram and storage capacity for a mere 270 is worth it.

Okay. Should I buy it from the Microsoft Store or is there a better place?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get it from the M$ store you can get a student discount. Google it, and put in the school you'll be attending (or the closest equivalent- they don't seem to check) and you'll get like 10% off or somesuch. Everywhere else I looked was more expensive at the time of my purchase.

Sounds good they don't have mine, but they have the dental program here, so...I"m a dental student. Hooray teeth!

Also do you know any cases for it? All my phones and iPad have been armored up in rubber/plastic cases and have survived years and falls and other such things in great conditions. Does the Surface Pro 3 have anything like that? Will dropping it completely **** it up?

Okay. Should I buy it from the Microsoft Store or is there a better place?

Customer service will be easier for you (maybe) if you buy from the Microsoft store. IF you need to have the surface replaced and bought from the Microsoft store then you can swap it out there. If you buy elsewhere you'll need to have it sent to you from Microsoft. Which obviously takes more time and requires that you reserve the purchse price of a new one on your credit card until they receive your broken one. Just fyi

The price was significant for me. I don't "game" or anything, though I do watch Netflix & Hulu. I assumed it'd be enough space for that. To save extra files, I have a small external hard drive. I can just keep it at home with the files I don't use often.

Ughhhh, just got a minimum requirements sheet from my school that appears to preclude my 2012 MacBook Air. If I have upgrade my laptop, I won't have the funds to grab the SP3 :(

I have a question for Surface Pro 2 / 3 users. I noticed that many review articles mention a noticeable "fan noise" on surface pros compared to MBAs. Can you confirm that this issue exists? Thanks!

Just realized the SP3 doesnt meet the requirements for my school.
"At least 13 inches (diagonal measurement). Screen sizes smaller than 13 inches, such as found on certain ‘netbooks’, are not compatible with applications used by the College of Medicine."

I can't imagine the screen size being a limitation

There has to be a way around this right?

You guys that have a surface Pro, does it actually replace your laptop/desktop, or is it more of a supplement?

Personally I've found 4GB to be the minimum and would like 8GB, but I usually have 15+ Chrome tabs, a couple PDFs of textbooks (30-100MB each), couple Word docs and PowerPoints open at the same time. It just depends on your usage.

Ughhhh, just got a minimum requirements sheet from my school that appears to preclude my 2012 MacBook Air. If I have upgrade my laptop, I won't have the funds to grab the SP3 :(

I'd consider asking the IT department what specifically requires so much CPU, at my school the requirements are an i5 with 8GB when the only software that we are required to use is ExamSoft, which requires has fairly low requirements. It could be more from their support perspective, they don't want students coming in with ancient laptops then bitching that something won't run properly. I'm using a C2D as my main laptop (circa 2010) without issues but I do my own support.

Just realized the SP3 doesnt meet the requirements for my school.
"At least 13 inches (diagonal measurement). Screen sizes smaller than 13 inches, such as found on certain ‘netbooks’, are not compatible with applications used by the College of Medicine."

I can't imagine the screen size being a limitation

There has to be a way around this right?

I can't think of any reason why screen size should matter (within reason), if anything it would be the resolution assuming whatever program they use doesn't scale properly. Of course if you were trying to use an 1080p 8inch screen, I could foresee some problems.

You guys that have a surface Pro, does it actually replace your laptop/desktop, or is it more of a supplement?

Depends on what you use it for but it could if you wanted it to. CPU-wise my 1st gen Surface Pro is faster than my desktop (but not for gaming), add a bluetooth keyboard/mouse, monitor and external hd, and most people wouldn't be able to tell that it's a "tablet". The only downside I've found heard is that the non-hinged keyboard makes it harder to type on your lap (while sitting on the couch, etc), but isn't really an issue for me since I don't do that anyways. I still like using my old laptop when typing on the go, but that's more because I like it's keyboard and trackpad.

With the snap on keyboard it might start replacing your laptop. In my case I did not intend to replace my laptop but this is essentially what happened because I started using microsofts skydrive cloud as basically the equivalent of my hard drive for a bunch of things. It's really great. I mean, Microsoft has done it again.......they've totally changed "home" computing. Using my laptop is a chore now. I used to take it out when I had quite a bit to write, but as I have become more and more used to the surface I no longer do so.

I have no advice about the surface and music. This is only because I am painting myself into a corner where all music I own and buy is from itunes through my iPhone. I'm sure I will regret this later! :)

Anyone who is a major apple lover and supreme Microsoft hater will probably not like the surface. For practical and cultural reasons probably.

How's the SP3 going guys? I'm waiting a few more weeks before purchasing

I feel like even with the nicer keyboard, it's still not enough to replace my laptop. I'm leaning more towards a lenovo thinkpad (great keyboard + tablet + amazing stylus all in one)

I love mine. Definitely will be replacing my laptop.

My surface pro 2 has replaced my samsung ultra book. I have a desktop at home so that could be one reason. Very nice and light and easy to use in clinic.

I've had my surface pro 3 since Friday and am absolutely loving it so far. Screen clarity and colors are amazing, viewing angles are great, responsiveness is great. Keyboard works very well for my purposes, I haven't had to adjust my typing style at all compared to a standard keyboard. Writing on it is un-effing-believeably great. I'm big on handwritten notes over typing (I just recall information better when I write it) so I anticipate using the stylus a lot, and it feels very nice to write on. Suprisingly light and portable, build quality feels robust. Very happy so far.

So I am considering getting a surface pro 3 ( entry level) and updating my 4. Year old MacBook Pro w a new retina one?

So instead of getting the higher spec 'd 15 inch pro I would get the base one ( maybe just upgrade had space) and get a surface for any digital annotations I want to.

The writing experience and one note is simplify unparalleled!

Has windows improved over the past. 4 years?

So I am considering getting a surface pro 3 ( entry level) and updating my 4. Year old MacBook Pro w a new retina one?

So instead of getting the higher spec 'd 15 inch pro I would get the base one ( maybe just upgrade had space) and get a surface for any digital annotations I want to.

The writing experience and one note is simplify unparalleled!

Has windows improved over the past. 4 years?
I don't see a point in essentially having two laptops. Why spend close to $3000 on getting two computers? If you want the tablet, get the surface pro 3. The computer aspect of the apple product is still there in the sp3.

I don't see a point in essentially having two laptops. Why spend close to $3000 on getting two computers? If you want the tablet, get the surface pro 3. The computer aspect of the apple product is still there in the sp3.
Anyone not in the arts who insists on Apple is a lost cause.

Main thing is screen size....I like the bigger 15 inch screen and I like to be mobile too.

Apple osx I have grown to love over the past. 4 years. Very reliable, smooth.

I played with sp3 at the ms store and windows seems to have improved....but I didn't really test it out.

Don't plan on plugging it into my 23inch moniter much

I geuss I'm looking for a 15inch tablet that's has excellent stylus input ( like sp3)

Not iPad type w jot pro w "palm rejection" enabled apps....

I was also considering a galaxy note,

But the ability to make
Up class diagrams, images etc is essential and I don't think the samsung note program is that comprehensive

Or maybe get a surface pro 1

Last edited:
I'm torn between the SP3 and Yoga 2 Pro by Lenovo.

I was just playing around with both machines at best buy. SP3 is an awesome machine. Very sleek, modern, light, and portable. The keyboard surprised me and I was able to type on it very well. However, I stumbled upon the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. This is a very impressive machine as well. Similar to the SP3 but slightly heavier. What sold me on the Yoga 2 Pro was its pricing and specs.

Heres a comparison:

Yoga 2 Pro
$1,199
i7 processor, 8GB ram, 256 SSD hard drive
13.3 inch touch screen (3200 x 1800) !
Keyboard included

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-...tate-drive-silver/1817254.p?id=1219065404810&

(best buy currently offering $150 off if you have a valid .edu email address) = $1,049

Surface Pro 3 (with similar processing speed...)

$1,549
i7 processor, 8GB ram, 256 SSD hard drive
12 inch touch screen (2160 x 1440)
Keyboard NOT included

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Pro-3/productID.300190600
pricing with keyboard = $1,688

(microsoft may still offer a 10% discount to students) if so = $1520

So basically I found that I could have a more powerful machine at a significantly lower price by choosing the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. A stylus pen is included in the SP3 and I hear that the SP3 does have a better writing experience. However, it seems that the SP3 needs to be more fairly priced.

I'm torn between the two but leaning towards the Yoga 2 Pro... it offers (in my opinion) a better machine at a much lower cost. It isn't as slim and sleek but thats something I can get over.

You don't need the top of the line surface pro for med school. The 128gb for $900 will be just fine.
The 256gb version has more RAM and is worth the money. 4gb RAM users report some low memory errors when using a couple of programs at the same time, avoided when using more ram. I bought the i5, 256gb and it is truly amazing.

The 256gb version has more RAM and is worth the money. 4gb RAM users report some low memory errors when using a couple of programs at the same time, avoided when using more ram. I bought the i5, 256gb and it is truly amazing.

Agreed, I would also strongly urge springing for the 8GB ram on any Windows computer.

My main laptop is a C2D (4years old, also have a 1st gen SP) and the limiting factor is frequently the ram (though 20+ Chrome tabs, several 100MB+ PDFs, several 25MB+ PowerPoints, Outlook etc open us probably not normal). Nothing you do in medical school is particularly processor intensive (if you record your own lecture videos and transcode them I could see wanting an i7 but who does that?) but if you use electronic resources and PDFs of textbooks the extra ram is nice.

is anyone here who has the new sp3 using onenote to study for The step 1? im actually about to purchase the sp3 tonight from bestbuy (i5-256gb model). just wanted to know if it has been beneficial for step 1 studying...im thinking of uploadig first aid on there and being able to annotate notes with uworld seems like a much easier idea.

what do you all think?

I'm just an MS1 so I don't meet your criteria, but I have really enjoyed using OneNote for my classes for the same reasons. I put in all my class powerpoints and can annotate and scribble (or type legibly) to my hearts content. Love it.