Surface Pro VS HP Spectre 13

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

westsidestoryz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to buy a laptop for med school. Which do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd actually get the macbook tbh. Most stable, durable, and quality piece of tech I own. Been using mine for 2.5 years and it runs just as well as it did on day one.

A lot of people hate on apple for the pricing which I understand but a surface pro is about the same price as a macbook nowadays I think. Maybe macbook is a bit more expensive but I just don't want to deal with those pesky windows updates.

Reactions: 4 users
I'd actually get the macbook tbh. Most stable, durable, and quality piece of tech I own. Been using mine for 2.5 years and it runs just as well as it did on day one
I was thinking about that too but the Best Buy guy made a convincing argument. The healthcare field, in general, use Windows as their OS. Why use an Apple OS when we should be getting familiar with the Windows OS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking about that too but the Best Buy guy made a convincing argument. The healthcare field, in general, use Windows as their OS. Why use an Apple OS when we should be getting familiar with the Windows OS?
while that may be correct, ive been noticing the move towards tablets for physicians to bring in to their appointments. I assume its more "professional" then whipping out a full fledged laptop or a cell phone. In this sense, ipad is king. If i get accepted to med school i will probably be rolling with the ipad and MacBook combo. Expensive? very. But also reliable and im sure the ipad will just be used more as the it becomes more popular. not to mention the apple pencil + ipad is AMAZING For taking notes and annotating diagrams. Much better than the surface pro. I have used both and their really is no comparison. With the base ipad getting pencil support, you could probably snag the pencil and ipad for around 350 max

Reactions: 1 users
My husband who is IT Analyst really likes the HP Spectre 13 if you want a “laptop”. If you want a tablet, he said go ahead and buy an iPad. His opinion but ultimately your choice. ;)

while that may be correct, ive been noticing the move towards tablets for physicians to bring in to their appointments. I assume its more "professional" then whipping out a full fledged laptop or a cell phone. In this sense, ipad is king. If i get accepted to med school i will probably be rolling with the ipad and MacBook combo. Expensive? very. But also reliable and im sure the ipad will just be used more as the it becomes more popular. not to mention the apple pencil + ipad is AMAZING For taking notes and annotating diagrams. Much better than the surface pro. I have used both and their really is no comparison. With the base ipad getting pencil support, you could probably snag the pencil and ipad for around 350 max
I notice this too; a lot at the teaching hospitals as well as in private practice. I am personally happy more doctors are using them. Probably easier to update history and jot down a few notes.

I have the spectre x360 and its really nice. its especially fast with the 8th gen intel cpu and you can get a 4k display for around 1100 on sale. I think if your gonna get a surface pro your probably better off getting a ipad since thats got more of a tablet vibe to it. Not a mac fan myself as a lot of software just isnt avaliable on ios, plus anything you need IOS for you can just get a Ipad as a side.

I have the spectre x360 and its really nice. its especially fast with the 8th gen intel cpu and you can get a 4k display for around 1100 on sale. I think if your gonna get a surface pro your probably better off getting a ipad since thats got more of a tablet vibe to it. Not a mac fan myself as a lot of software just isnt avaliable on ios, plus anything you need IOS for you can just get a Ipad as a side.
Husband agrees! He follows the tech stuff more than me.

This is what I have and zero regrets. My school required ipads the first two years and a majority of my classmates have MacBooks.

My Macbook was purchased in 2012 and is in excellent shape

Surface Pro
  • Better touch interface
  • Best writing feel of Windows laptops, but not as good as iPad + Apple Pencil. You still have to buy the Pen separately
  • Best software/hardware integration for Windows, but previous generation processor
  • Not great at being a laptop unless using on a desk
  • Smaller trackpad
Spectre
  • Better value (more powerful
  • Better looking than Surface Pro imo
  • Has a decent fingerprint scanner
  • More ports but no SD card
  • Worse customer support and no brick and mortar locations for on-the-spot support, but most people don't have issues with it
If you want a windows machine that can do it all, consider the Surface Book, but might be out of your target price. I encourage you to do a side-by-side comparison for all of the laptops you're considering. Take note of how the keyboard and trackpad feel since you'll be using those the most. Consider the weight of the machine too, if you're going to be lugging other stuff in your bag. When I was shopping for laptops this spring, I didn't consider the Surface lineup because they were more expensive for less powerful machines and didn't come with the newest intel processors, though I knew I was sacrificing the customer support Windows offers. I looked at the Samsung Notebook 9 Pen, Spectre x360 13 and 15, and the Lenovo Yoga 920 and 720. I ended up going with the Yoga 920 because I felt like the trackpad (second to just the Surface Book), writing experience, and reputation beat the competition (not by much).

Thanks for all the input! Fortunately, I already have an iPad so I guess I’ll take the surface out.

In terms of laptops, I plan on using the mouse, not the track pad.

So I think I’ll need to go to Best Buy and compare the:
Yoga vs spectre vs 13 mbp

Since I’ll be staring at the screen all day long and most likely carrying it, resolution (4K is very tempting) and weight is very important to me.

Thanks for all the input! Fortunately, I already have an iPad so I guess I’ll take the surface out.

Since I’ll be staring at the screen all day long and most likely carrying it, resolution (4K is very tempting) and weight is very important to me.

Good luck! Also take into consideration that higher resolution screens look nicer but result in greater battery drain. I think mbp probably has the best battery life of the three, but all of them will likely last you through an 8 hour day. If you have the ipad and an iphone already, a mbp is a very attractive option for device integration, and so many people use Apple devices that the use of AirDrop and iMessage may be key factors in your choice. Regarding the windows vs mac thing, my (limited) perception is that for med students, the mac vs windows OS doesn't matter since you can just install windows as a virtual machine on your computer if you need windows specific software.

Surface Pro or MacBook.

I’ve personally been using a 13” MBP since beginning medical school and it’s been working well for me.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you get the mbp and can afford it probably more worth to get the 8th gen processor and future proof yourself, mbp will def be the most expensive. Spectre i got on labor day and had like -260$ off plus another 60$ off cash back. Not too familar with the yoga

There are few good reasons to get a Mac unless you just absolutely need some of the software it comes with, and since this is for med school, you don't. And Macs break... a lot....

The guy is kinda biased and goes on about phones and Apple's company policy too but I think it still gives a good overview and he does computer repairs for a living. The difference is that people blame themselves and not Apple when their stuff breaks. If you don't run programs too intensive for your system, download from sketchy sites, and in general just don't be dumb with your computer, it should last a long time.

Personally I like the Spectre more than the Surface mainly because of the bezels. For both of them there should be an IR camera for facial recognition which is really fast.

I switched to Apple from PC in 2010 and I'll never go back. The initial cost is high, but my last MacBook pro lasted 8 years. In that time I probably would have had to purchase 2 or 3 windows laptops because windows supported hardware just doesn't have that kind of longevity. Apple is a bigger investment, but it's worth it.

Windows machines just aren't built as well. When I ran windows, I reformatted my machines every 6 months and still couldn't get more than a few years out of them.

Last edited:
So the consensus is, get a MBP if you want longevity with little system problems but get a Spectre or Yoga if you want cheaper Windows that you can upgrade with the price difference from the MBP...

Right now its MBP 13 vs Spectre 13. The price difference is rather hefty

Spectre:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (16 GB system memory/rose gold)
  • 16 GB LPDDR3-2133 SDRAM (onboard)
  • 13.3" diagonal 4K IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen with Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™ (3840 x 2160)
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • HP Tilt Pen (natural silver)
For $1500

MBP 13 inch with Touchbar

• 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
For $2500

Is the $1000 price difference worth it for the longevity and the reliable services provided by Apple??

So the consensus is, get a MBP if you want longevity with little system problems but get a Spectre or Yoga if you want cheaper Windows that you can upgrade with the price difference from the MBP...

Right now its MBP 13 vs Spectre 13. The price difference is rather hefty

Spectre:
  • Intel® Core™ i7-8550U (1.8 GHz, up to 4 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores) + Intel® UHD Graphics 620 (16 GB system memory/rose gold)
  • 16 GB LPDDR3-2133 SDRAM (onboard)
  • 13.3" diagonal 4K IPS micro-edge WLED-backlit touch screen with Corning® Gorilla® Glass NBT™ (3840 x 2160)
  • 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
  • HP Tilt Pen (natural silver)
For $1500

MBP 13 inch with Touchbar

• 2.7GHz quad‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.5GHz
  • Retina display with True Tone
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
  • 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
  • 512GB SSD storage
For $2500

Is the $1000 price difference worth it for the longevity and the reliable services provided by Apple??

No. $1000 more to be able to do less is highway robbery.

I dont see why you need that hig speced of a laptop. get the 256gb non touchbar version 2017 for like 1100 dollars

I dont see why you need that hig speced of a laptop. get the 256gb non touchbar version 2017 for like 1100 dollars
I plan on keeping this for a very long time so I wouldnt mind having the latest tech for the extra cost

Quick question.

I have decided to purchase the older MBP (2017) for around $1500. This is the same price as the spectre. Which is the smarter buy??

Quick question.

I have decided to purchase the older MBP (2017) for around $1500. This is the same price as the spectre. Which is the smarter buy??
obviously im bias towards apple but it depends. do you want to take notes digitially or pen and paper. if digital go ipad (which you said you had) and MacBook pro. If you want to take notes via paper and pen, its really up to personal preference and if you like windows or macOS better. Objectively, neither one is better than the other. anecdottaly, macs are more reliable but in the end im sure both will last you 4 years. In my opinion, you said you had the ipad so if you plan on using that extensively and have an iPhone, the MacBook is the easy choice.

Quick question.

Specs? But even without knowing them, any Windows laptop with the same price.

Quick question.

You gotta make your own decision. Go with your gut. They're both fine, I'm sure. Which one would you rather have?

If it were me, I'd buy the 2017 MBP. MBP doesn't change much from year to year, and the MBP will last longer and require less maintenance throughout it's lifetime. In my experience Apple stuff is just less glitchy and more consistent and reliable. The peace of mind knowing that my computer isn't gonna just crap out on me with some problem randomly is worth the price tag. I'm busy enough, I don't have extra time to sink into troubleshooting.

I would never recommend a laptop with a touch screen. They serve no purpose on a laptop, and only make the machine cost more and waste battery life. I'd recommend the anything on the Dell XPS Line, or Razer (except the Blade Pro WTH Razer). Apple laptops jumped the shark like 3 years ago, would not recommend.

Thanks for all the help, folks.

I have deiced to sell my ipad and buy the Ipad Pro and buy a refurbished macbook pro (1 year apple warranty)

Thanks for all the help, folks.

I have deiced to sell my ipad and buy the Ipad Pro and buy a refurbished macbook pro (1 year apple warranty)

Apple will be announcing their new line of iPad Pros with the bezels display and also maybe a retina version of the MacBook Air at the end of the month. I would hold of until then, prices on the current models should be reduced also.

Apple will be announcing their new line of iPad Pros with the bezels display and also maybe a retina version of the MacBook Air at the end of the month. I would hold of until then, prices on the current models should be reduced also.
Oh yeah, I heard. Ill probably buy the pro and the refreshed air

Surface pro is the bomb diggity

With the release of MBA and how versatile it is, is it even worth getting a tablet?

Im just in love with the Apple Pencil

That new macbook air is quite overpriced when compared to the MBP. I'd get the MBP or wait for the refresh next summer or late spring (I believe that is the time).
No surprise from apple. They could have hit it out the park with this one. Unfortunately the pricing is so dumb.

I am in need of a laptop right now so I am leaning towards the Air with the new processor and the retina display. I will be using it for general use anyway so I think the $100 extra for the pro is unnecessary. But yes, the pricing was surprising...

Last edited:
I honestly think that the Surface Book is one of the best laptops out there, accounting for battery life, durability, and versatile form factor. You can probably get the 1st gen SB for $1k, roughly, even if the later generation ones are pretty expensive.

New MacBook Air has a dual core processor for 1200$ before tax Jesus Christ. Robbery... just robbery lmao

Almost all their stuff is robbery but this is getting into scam territory

Last edited:
FYI. If anybody is looking to buy an Apple product without the ridiculous tax, go to "B and H". Free from the reaches of Uncle Sam

Not a cheap opti

A little late to the game but I have a X1 Yoga and I love it! Expensive but it's been great. Great 2-in-1 computer with retractable keyboard when you use it as a tablet. Will be buying another pen though - the one in the laptop is small/skinny. Let me know if you have questions about it.

honestly the new ipad pro looks great, and with the a12X chip, i can see it lasting (and being faster) than most pcs for the 4 years of medical school. I am applying this cycle and most likely will be doing most (if not all) of my medcial school work on the ipad. I know some schools are switching to this (drexel) and wouldnt be surpised if more do in the future. the ipad and pencil is such a powerful tool to draw and annotate that i cant imagine schools not adopting this