Microsoft Surface Book 2 or Ipad Pro 2018?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Paul_24

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I’m looking for computers for school. I’m currently looking at both the iPad Pro and the surface book 2 to buy for this winter. I don't know wich one choose :( :(
I already have a gaming pc at home (dekstop pc). I can find the SB2 for about 800€ and the Ipad Pro 2018 (12.9 inch) for 1100 €. I tested both of them and they were incredible(especially Notability with the ipad)
There is too the new ipad os in september. Do you think the ipad(with ipad os) can replace a traditionnal windows computer for a med student. If you use either of these or have any feelings on way or the other let me know!!

Thank you for your answers;):)

Members don't see this ad.

I have the Surface Pro 2017 and my friend has the Surface Book 2 and we absolutely love them. I used my surface pro throughout all of my SMP and it took great notes. I'm a windows fan and prefer in over the iPad, personally. There are plenty of reviews and youtube videos comparing the two, so definitely check those out

I think both are more than capable. It is more of what your preference is. I used an iPad and Apple Pencil with GoodNotes for my post bacc and I plan to continue that for med school. Any document can be converted into a PDF and can subsequently be written on.

As a caveat I have a MacBook Air as well, so it didn’t totally replace my computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think both are more than capable. It is more of what your preference is. I used an iPad and Apple Pencil with GoodNotes for my post bacc and I plan to continue that for med school. Any document can be converted into a PDF and can subsequently be written on.

As a caveat I have a MacBook Air as well, so it didn’t totally replace my computer.
Ah ok and do you need to use your computer at school or do you use it only at home? And for what do you use the macbook?

I have the Surface Pro 2017 and my friend has the Surface Book 2 and we absolutely love them. I used my surface pro throughout all of my SMP and it took great notes. I'm a windows fan and prefer in over the iPad, personally. There are plenty of reviews and youtube videos comparing the two, so definitely check those out
Thankkkk you

Ah ok and do you need to use your computer at school or do you use it only at home? And for what do you use the macbook?

I only use the iPad in class, but I feel that the MacBook is superior for making Anki cards. Mostly because I have a lot of add-ons like image occlusion that cannot be added to the Anki app. Also, I didn’t bother buying a keyboard for my iPad, but you can definitely do that.

Reactions: 1 user
I only use the iPad in class, but I feel that the MacBook is superior for making Anki cards. Mostly because I have a lot of add-ons like image occlusion that cannot be added to the Anki app. Also, I didn’t bother buying a keyboard for my iPad, but you can definitely do that.
So I can't use the Ipad as only device?

So I can't use the Ipad as only device?

You can. I just already had a macbook and the macbook has added functionality because it is a full computer. The iPad is basically a big phone. You can technically do everything on it, but I would find it difficult to use as my only device. You should be able to sync things between the iPad and the gaming PC though if you wanted to do that.

You can. I just already had a macbook and the macbook has added functionality because it is a full computer. The iPad is basically a big phone. You can technically do everything on it, but I would find it difficult to use as my only device. You should be able to sync things between the iPad and the gaming PC though if you wanted to do that.
Thankkk you very much. You conviced me to buy a ipad. Now I have to choose between the 2models: the 11inch and the 12.9 inch.

Macbook has always been my go to, I say get the bigger screen since it'll be easier to use as opposed to a smaller screen!

I'm windows fan as well, so I went with a surface book 2 with pencil at first, but then I recently bought a iPad pro with pencil after seeing what my friends could do on it with notability, and let me tell it is very useful. Now, I only watch lectures and take exams on my laptop. I guess both have their use.

Last edited:
I used an iPad Pro for my postbac, and I was let down by it. While the pencil is amazing, multi-tasking is abhorrent (10.5" version). The 12.9" version might have been better, but then it would be more of a pain to lug around / fit on the tiny desks in big lecture halls. The only time I used the iPad was in class, otherwise, I used my laptop every chance I could. I wish I would have spent the extra couple hundred to go the Surface Pro route. That being said, if all you want to do is take notes, and you have a laptop to do literally everything else, then the iPad is sufficient.

Edit: I know they are coming out with an iPad OS, but I have no idea if it will greatly improve things.

I used an iPad Pro for my postbac, and I was let down by it. While the pencil is amazing, multi-tasking is abhorrent (10.5" version). The 12.9" version might have been better, but then it would be more of a pain to lug around / fit on the tiny desks in big lecture halls. The only time I used the iPad was in class, otherwise, I used my laptop every chance I could. I wish I would have spent the extra couple hundred to go the Surface Pro route. That being said, if all you want to do is take notes, and you have a laptop to do literally everything else, then the iPad is sufficient.

Edit: I know they are coming out with an iPad OS, but I have no idea if it will greatly improve things.
Oh yes, so for my situation the SB2 is a better choice than the Ipad because I have only a dekstop pc and not a laptop?

Members don't see this ad :)
FYI...you get free beats if you by one of the iPad Pros. it was just announced today

Oh yes, so for my situation the SB2 is a better choice than the Ipad because I have only a dekstop pc and not a laptop?

Not necessarily. My old laptop was used essentially as a desktop - I only rarely moved it around, and it worked for me. That being said, I did have a couple of tests in school that required us to bring in a laptop (they did provide some 'functioning' ones in case you didn't have a laptop). Many med schools will require a laptop (iPads usually won't work their software) for taking tests in lecture as well. Each school has specific requirements.

Ultimately, you have to identify what your needs are and get what suits you. I would not rely on an iPad as a laptop replacement. A desktop can augment an iPad, however, you have to determine if you absolutely do not a laptop.

Make sure you buy a durable case for the ipad. Theres a lot of bending issues for the 2018 ipad pro just from daily use

Neither. Save the money and buy a Mac.

Neither. Save the money and buy a Mac.
Personally, I think the mac is useless for me. I have to annotate my notes with a pencil (it's impossible with a mac). The combo Ipad+macbook is perfect but it's out of my budget.

Personally, I think the mac is useless for me. I have to annotate my notes with a pencil (it's impossible with a mac). The combo Ipad+macbook is perfect but it's out of my budget.
Then get the surface book 2 - I have it and it's a great notetaking device when combined with the surface pen.

@Paul_24 Are you attending medical school in the United States? The fact that you're listing prices in Euro makes it difficult to give you recommendations because I have absolutely no idea what medical education is like abroad. Even if you're going to attend school here in the United States, I feel that M0 students going into school are looking more for an excuse to blow off money on a luxury purchase to reward themselves for getting in rather than actually looking for a functional purchase. Apps like Anki weren't created to have high system requirements and are more easily smashed on a handheld device rather than going overboard on a system that distracts you from dedicating yourself to the routine. Also, there are a bunch of tech stores like Best Buy that have a 14 day open return policy in case you are curious about buying and trying a system that you are not sure about making a full commitment towards.

@Paul_24 Are you attending medical school in the United States? The fact that you're listing prices in Euro makes it difficult to give you recommendations because I have absolutely no idea what medical education is like abroad. Even if you're going to attend school here in the United States, I feel that M0 students going into school are looking more for an excuse to blow off money on a luxury purchase to reward themselves for getting in rather than actually looking for a functional purchase. Apps like Anki weren't created to have high system requirements and are more easily smashed on a handheld device rather than going overboard on a system that distracts you from dedicating yourself to the routine. Also, there are a bunch of tech stores like Best Buy that have a 14 day open return policy in case you are curious about buying and trying a system that you are not sure about making a full commitment towards.
Right, because the only software that a medical student uses in their 4 years of school will be Anki.

Right, because the only software that a medical student uses in their 4 years of school will be Anki.
Sorry, I'm not a big believer in consumerism. If someone has a gaming desktop and a mobile phone, I'm curious what the hard hardware limitations are when it comes to using uWorld, boards and beyond, pathoma, sketchy, or whatever supplemental material you need to consume to feel like you can crush Step 1. I know people love their big tech purchases because it provides emotional reaffirmation of their commitment to medical education, but honestly the mileage you get from a device is going to be individualized and better determined after you run the apps on the device.

Did you usually just use your ipad for taking notes? Im looking at getting one but plan to anki heavily on my MBP so dont know if its worth it.

Did you usually just use your ipad for taking notes? Im looking at getting one but plan to anki heavily on my MBP so dont know if its worth it.

Yeah I am a big fan of taking notes on the slides during lectures and then making Anki cards the next day. My iPad is also used for watching movies/netflix on long car rides (not by me, by my children). I got an iPad pro, but it wasn't necessary. I would have gotten the normal iPad with Apple Pencil if I had the choice again.

Yes, I'm not studying in USA but in Belgium. I've posted this because there isn't a french forum that is speaking about the best laptop/tablet to use as a Medical student. But thank you very for your advices.