Surg path after subspecialty fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trent05

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any point in doing a surg path fellowship after doing a solid subspecialty fellowship. Let's say you do residency and a sub-specialty fellowship on the east coast, but you really want a job in SF or LA. Would doing a surg path fellowship at one of the SF or LA programs be a reasonable way to get into the local system and get a decent job, or would this just be a waste of potential income, being that surg-path is really not necessary after a sub spec fellowship. Any thoughts? Also, would surgpath after a solid subspec fellowship make it appear to potential employers that you could not get a job and thus had to do a surg path year.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it would hurt you. But I think you are right in a sense in that it may not help much. As to whether it could help you get into the local system, perhaps.

doing a surg path fellowship in a location where you want to end up practicing after finishing would be helpful only in terms of networking. some of the good jobs are advertised by word of mouth and to get these jobs, networking is valuable.

one of my friends is probably gonna be hooked up with a sweet job. this is how it worked.

employer calls up fletcher asking if he knows any qualified folks.
fletcher says "yes, i know this awesome fellow who would be great for this job."
employer says, "ok, i'll interview him."
employer interviews said fellow and doesn't subject him to tests where he has to read slides. interview is laid-back.
employer offers a contract....it's the person's job if he/she wants to take it.

it is said that "nobody says no to fletcher."

see, you need people like this at your program, people who are influential and will take the time to vouch for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
doing a surg path fellowship in a location where you want to end up practicing after finishing would be helpful only in terms of networking. some of the good jobs are advertised by word of mouth and to get these jobs, networking is valuable.

one of my friends is probably gonna be hooked up with a sweet job. this is how it worked.

employer calls up fletcher asking if he knows any qualified folks.
fletcher says "yes, i know this awesome fellow who would be great for this job."
employer says, "ok, i'll interview him."
employer interviews said fellow and doesn't subject him to tests where he has to read slides. interview is laid-back.
employer offers a contract....it's the person's job if he/she wants to take it.

see, you need people like this at your program, people who are influential and will take the time to vouch for you!

Brigham here I come! :)

Is there any point in doing a surg path fellowship after doing a solid subspecialty fellowship. Let's say you do residency and a sub-specialty fellowship on the east coast, but you really want a job in SF or LA. Would doing a surg path fellowship at one of the SF or LA programs be a reasonable way to get into the local system and get a decent job, or would this just be a waste of potential income, being that surg-path is really not necessary after a sub spec fellowship. Any thoughts? Also, would surgpath after a solid subspec fellowship make it appear to potential employers that you could not get a job and thus had to do a surg path year.

I think it would be a good way to work your way into the local market especially if the PD and other faculty who take consults from the community make some calls for you.

Now if you can get a good job in your dream city without doing the extra year that would be the way to go.

Hmm, first off Fletcher can really be abrasive and downright wierd to many community pathologists, yes he is bright but FFS he can come off as an eccentric Liberace-type I would have no problem whatsoever telling no to! Plus he is British, could be an issue with Irish IRA-inclined types.

I think the Brigham name will do just fine. Go see Chris at a conference, he is fairly flamboyant and opinionated.

Contrast that to an Appleman type guy, who like everyone loves. He is hilarious, humble and comes off as a champion of the common man. Epstein is similar in that respect.

And just as an aside, I really take what die hard academics say about private prac jobs with a grain of salt. What looks like a gem to them could be a total turd. And based on a few bad interactions they may write off a solid group forever. I found past residents who had since filtered out into the community as well as any faculty who actually had real-world non-academic experience much more valuable.

Epstein is a total dude.

dude as in "The Dude"? If so, that would be the ****e.

Speaking of prostates, I have been doing a little GU for the past week and the place I am at whole mounts their radical prostatectomy specimens. Its pretty amazing. Anyone else at a program that does this?

dude as in "The Dude"? If so, that would be the ****e.

Speaking of prostates, I have been doing a little GU for the past week and the place I am at whole mounts their radical prostatectomy specimens. Its pretty amazing. Anyone else at a program that does this?

I have an MP3 file with an audio recording of Epstein saying "The Dude abides" in reponse to a question at USCAP a few years ago. I also heard from a friend of a former roomate's ex-girlfriend that Epstein also told Fletcher "Youre a nihilist, I have nothing to fear from you" at a closed door WHO meeting in Lyon.

UCSF whole mounts prostates?? I cant believe that.

No UC doesn't whole mount. I am at a place on the East Coast that does however. The Dude abides..

Is there any point in doing a surg path fellowship after doing a solid subspecialty fellowship. Let's say you do residency and a sub-specialty fellowship on the east coast, but you really want a job in SF or LA. Would doing a surg path fellowship at one of the SF or LA programs be a reasonable way to get into the local system and get a decent job, or would this just be a waste of potential income, being that surg-path is really not necessary after a sub spec fellowship. Any thoughts? Also, would surgpath after a solid subspec fellowship make it appear to potential employers that you could not get a job and thus had to do a surg path year

I have an article in pdf that might answer your question; it should be attached to this post....if not accessible, email me at [email protected].

Attachments

• Hum_Pathol_2006_037_0969.ZIP
    78.7 KB · Views: 107

I have an article in pdf that might answer your question; it should be attached to this post....if not accessible, email me at [email protected].

Great article. Thanks for posting it. I found it interesting that additional training in surg path was considered a universal requirement for community practices while additional training in dermpath was considered only "important". (p.971, #3)

Looks like we might be seeing someone changing their username to surgpathlover soon if he wants to be universally sought after instead of just "important".

Put one up on the big board for surg path!!!!

That's because it isn't that hard to get a surg path fellowship, and therefore not an unreasonable expectation of graduates. Dermpath is limited and while most would like to hire someone with dermpath credentials, they can get by without it and have learned to.

It's also true that there are a lot of programs out there (which feed many grads into private jobs) that aren't that big and graduates just don't see enough to be truly proficient without extra surg path training. If you train at a large institution with good training and make use of your time, extra surg path training wouldn't be that critical.