Surg to Rads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

resident_doc

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I'm a FMG with 255 step1 and 233 step2 scores. I am a permanent resident. Currently a PGY1 prelim in surgery at a top University program. Thinking about switching to rads. I was wondering 😕 if this internship will help me land into a radio program, or should i look into spending an year in research before applying. Thanks!
 
resident_doc said:
Hey guys,

I'm a FMG with 255 step1 and 233 step2 scores. I am a permanent resident. Currently a PGY1 prelim in surgery at a top University program. Thinking about switching to rads. I was wondering 😕 if this internship will help me land into a radio program, or should i look into spending an year in research before applying. Thanks!

Nobody can give you a definite answer, but I guess you knew that. The only surefire way to know is by applying and seeing how it goes as far as interviews and matching. You might get lucky and land a spot. You might get unlucky and be left unmatched; then you can focus on other things to boost your application, such as the research year you mentioned.
 
yeh, i guess ur correct docxter. But usually while applying for rads, how much of a role does RESEARCH play? I have heard that its almost nearly impossible to get without research. Is that true? and why is rads so competitive?
 
Having done research is not really important for many community programs.