Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

numberrronee

SebastiaN
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do they grade you on wanting to become a surgeon? Is it something about the grades in medical school. I dont see why you cant be something you want to be. I heard its like 80 hours a week meaning if you want to do this after they explain it to you then without a doubt you should be able to. Im just trying to figure out with going to plastic surgery school..i live in nj and going into a program that can guarantee me a spot in robert wood johnson med school..how would i go about becoming a plastic surgeon? are their hospitals or schools in nj? thanks for your help

Members don't see this ad.

This is the second time you've posted something in the wrong forum. Post it in the allopathic (or mods move plz). People here are trying to get into medical school. Pose your question to those already attending it and working towards plastics.

This is the second time you've posted something in the wrong forum. Post it in the allopathic (or mods move plz). People here are trying to get into medical school. Pose your question to those already attending it and working towards plastics.

Disagree. The dude isn't in med school yet, and clearly hasn't gotten close enough to formulate the right questions.

OP: Get good grades in med school, and do well in rotations and the boards, and all paths will be open to you. You aren't doing any specialty a favor agreeing to work 80 hours a week -- it is a meritocracy and you will need to prove yourself to get in the door. And yes, there are hospitals in NJ.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just work out the basics yet........don't get tunnel vision on a speciality and especially not on the speciality that is the most difficult to get recently. Tons of resources are more trustworthy than message boards too...google is your friend.

I'm with L2D on this one, right forum, maybe not right time.

Any US accredited med school can get you into any specialty you desire, however, its going to depend on how well you do in med school (mostly board scores and clinical rotations, with some emphasis on dean's letter, recommendations, personal statement, etc.). If you shadow a surgeon or surgical resident you will find out how their schedule works and whether or not you want to work in that type of environment.

Basically, right now you should focus on getting into a med school and then from there find out what type of doctor you want to be.

Disagree. The dude isn't in med school yet, and clearly hasn't gotten close enough to formulate the right questions.

OP: Get good grades in med school, and do well in rotations and the boards, and all paths will be open to you. You aren't doing any specialty a favor agreeing to work 80 hours a week -- it is a meritocracy and you will need to prove yourself to get in the door. And yes, there are hospitals in NJ.
I looked at the questions he was asking, not where he is in terms of medical education:

1.) How do they grade you on wanting to become a surgeon?
2.) How would i go about becoming a plastic surgeon? are their hospitals or schools in nj?

We're not the authority on this. If he asked questions about premed stuff, that's different. That being said, I still think mods should move it or at least OP needs to ask the Allos those questions too.

I looked at the questions he was asking, not where he is in terms of medical education:

1.) How do they grade you on wanting to become a surgeon?
2.) How would i go about becoming a plastic surgeon? are their hospitals or schools in nj?

We're not the authority on this. If he asked questions about premed stuff, that's different. That being said, I still think mods should move it or at least OP needs to ask the Allos those questions too.

I hear you, but the allo's will eat him alive, and then wrestle over the carcas. You need to walk before you get to fly. :)

I hear you, but the allo's will eat him alive, and then wrestle over the carcas. You need to walk before you get to fly. :)
ROFL true. Like a pack of wild dogs.

How do they grade you on wanting to become a surgeon? Is it something about the grades in medical school. I dont see why you cant be something you want to be. I heard its like 80 hours a week meaning if you want to do this after they explain it to you then without a doubt you should be able to. Im just trying to figure out with going to plastic surgery school..i live in nj and going into a program that can guarantee me a spot in robert wood johnson med school..how would i go about becoming a plastic surgeon? are their hospitals or schools in nj? thanks for your help

You generally have to be the most intelligent and hardworking person in your med school class to get into an integrated plastics residency. Judging by the quality of your posts, this person will not be you.

You generally have to be the most intelligent and hardworking person in your med school class to get into an integrated plastics residency. Judging by the quality of your posts, this person will not be you.
oh snap

I answered this question for this kid awhile ago in a long string of PM's...this is well beyond the second time hes posted this question. From what I remember he wants to specialize in "breast augmentation, botox and lazers" Borderline trolling at this point.

Breast augging? That's my kind of troll!

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know we allos had that reputation. Gee. So, here's a big, bad MS3's advice... there's no problem with wanting to be a plastic surgeon this early on. You might change your mind, but it's a good goal.

Plastics is an extremely competitive specialty, and surgeons aren't going to kiss your rear because you're willing to work 80 hours a week. Many of them went through surgery when surgical residents were on call every other night, and 120 hours was a "light" week. They want to get the smartest, hardest working, and succesful residents for their programs.

If you want to know how applicants are evaluated by residency programs, take a flip through Iserson's Getting Into a Residency. Basically, it's about board scores and grades. Because plastics is very competitive and a relatively small field, letters of recommendations and research during medical school are important, too.

Telling people you want to do plastics can work for or against you. It has a reputation for being a lifestyle surgical specialty (pays well and they don't have a whole lot of emergency surgery, but you still get to operate). So, some people are going to judge you. If you say "I want to be a surgeon," you'll appeal to a wider variety of surgeons, and might be exposed to some other very cool options.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like more of a med student perspective (but keep in mind I'm not all that far along in the process myself) -- although I'm not a future plastics person, I'm going into surgery.

Best,
Anka

is that the douche bag on like discovery health or soemthing liek that who also does karate or something and half the time hes showing off like a TKD douche bag and wearing the ugliest pinstripe suits? cuz that guy is completely full of himself and dookie which are arguably the same thing.

Did you see the very first episode, it was only him the first season. They added those others the next season to liven it up. (actually)

While Dr Rey was indeed featured in the pilot, a different doctor (Kotler) was featured in the second episode. While Dr. Rey appeared quite a bit in the first season, there were at least 4 other doctors featured in that year (2004).

But he is the main doctor. So when asked the show is about him. It is analgous to when someone asks who is in the show "friends" you only name the people that are in every episode (ie. the 5 freinds) you dont name the downstairs neighbor who pops in every now and again, just the main people.

He was not in the second episode, or several others. They rotated in different doctors.

How are you going into a program that will guarantee you a spot in medical school when you don't even even know that there's no such thing as "plastic surgery school?" Last time I checked, successful premeds knew SOMETHING about the process of becoming a doctor.

When you said, "I dont see why you cant be something you want to be," I just had to laugh. Are you serious? If you're really going to med school, you should already know that not everyone who wants to go to med school gets to go. Not even everyone who wants to go to college gets to go. Not even everyone who wants food gets it.

Why should you get to be a plastic surgeon because you say you're willing to work 80 hours a week, when other people ARE working 80 hours a week and don't get medical insurance and barely make enough money to survive?

i wouldnt be asking these questions if i didnt know..the only reason why i wanted to go into plastics is because i was bit in the face by a dog several times to the point my nose was hangin off and gashes all over my face..then when i was escaping he ripped my arm muscle not letting go..a plastic surgeon didnt do a good job and left my wit scars real noticeable..putting me in the set back with a lot of friends do to embarassment..then i got laser surgery this year after the accident that happened 9 or so years ago..ill be going to robert wood johnson med school..yes in nj..im going to rutgers and became good partners with a group of people (who decide to vote you in the program) that want me to get into this program where i can start med school my 4th year at rutgers..i just wanted to know what i would have to do to get there..whoever doctor 91202 or something sounds like someone i want to be..he must do a lot of cosmetic type..improving peoples look i guess..so if you can help that would be great

i wouldnt be asking these questions if i didnt know..the only reason why i wanted to go into plastics is because i was bit in the face by a dog several times to the point my nose was hangin off and gashes all over my face..then when i was escaping he ripped my arm muscle not letting go..a plastic surgeon didnt do a good job and left my wit scars real noticeable..putting me in the set back with a lot of friends do to embarassment..then i got laser surgery this year after the accident that happened 9 or so years ago..ill be going to robert wood johnson med school..yes in nj..im going to rutgers and became good partners with a group of people (who decide to vote you in the program) that want me to get into this program where i can start med school my 4th year at rutgers..i just wanted to know what i would have to do to get there..whoever doctor 91202 or something sounds like someone i want to be..he must do a lot of cosmetic type..improving peoples look i guess..so if you can help that would be great

Ok, so when you get to med school you don't get to say I want to be this specialty and then you get to be that specialty. . . . your first two years are spent learning the basic sciences (anatomy, histology, pathology, microbiology . . . etc) and then at the end of those two years you take the first step of the US Medical Licensing Exam. Over those two years you will learn more than you would currently comprehend as possible and most people (and were talking about really smart people who were top of their undergrad classes) struggle and work their butts off just to pass their classes and the boards. Then your next two years are spent doing apprenticeships in clinics and hospitals where you work crazy hours and then have to go home and study for tests on whatever specialty your currently rotating with, and then you take the clinical part of the USMLE. After all of this you apply for a residency that you think you have the scores/grades/reccomendations/extracurriculars/research to actually be given a spot in. For something like plastics you would have to be the in the top few people of the entire class in all of these aspects . . . meaning you would have to be smarter and have to had worked harder than some of the smartes hardest working bunch out there. Until you get to medical school you really won't know if this is even possible for you as an individual. You might have been the smartest hardest working person you have ever known and suddenly you will be cramming 12 hours a day just to pass, barely. Sure, you might be that golden child who will actually have all the necessary aspects of an application to get a plastics residency, but I wouldn't go to medschool if this is the only part of medicine that interests you, because statistically speaking, you're probably not that person. If you could see yourself happy practicing in other specialties then go for it, and work your tush off and maybe you will get to that dream.

I know a guy who went to Stanford Medical School, got into a plastic surgery residency, back out after a year, said it took up too much time, and he had to wake up too early everyday. So he switched into internal medicine and now works only part-time for someone else. He uses his other time working on the many businesses that he owns. (medically related of course)

it seems the op is aiming for plastics for the moolah$!

there are definitely easier paths.

dr. 90210: http://www.drrobertrey.com/dr-90210.htm

in my opinion, his life doesn't sound that great to me.

Eternalrage what is your freaking problem man? you are the biggest bandwagon person I have ever seen? DUDE chill out, you are so smug it isn't even funny. God, I can't wait till you get into school and get a big piece of humble pie shoved done your throat...

I know a guy who went to Stanford Medical School, got into a plastic surgery residency, back out after a year, said it took up too much time, and he had to wake up too early everyday. So he switched into internal medicine and now works only part-time for someone else. He uses his other time working on the many businesses that he owns. (medically related of course)

it seems the op is aiming for plastics for the moolah$!

there are definitely easier paths.

dr. 90210: http://www.drrobertrey.com/dr-90210.htm

in my opinion, his life doesn't sound that great to me.

i have no intention of money..i sure will deserve it at the end though..i go through every week with no money so i can do the best in school..i wont be working for quite some time until i get out of med school..and earn lil pay but as long as im doing what i desire to do then it will be fine..im not sayin its a def. either..i just want to know about it..i could want to do something else in med school who knows..thats just a dream i have..ROLE MODEL DOCTOR REY..lol

But he is the main doctor. So when asked the show is about him. It is analgous to when someone asks who is in the show "friends" you only name the people that are in every episode (ie. the 5 freinds) you dont name the downstairs neighbor who pops in every now and again, just the main people.

Actually there are 6 friends (Ross, Chandler, Joey, Phoebe, Rachel and Monica). Dr. 90210 is not so much like friends because friends involves the 6 characters interacting with each other, while interacting with the same non-main characters. Dr. 90210 includes doctors working in different television universes so to speak. While Dr. Rey may make more appearances than the other doctors, he isn't "Doctor 90210" alone.

Also to the OP, you should spend a few days searching these forums, and reading older threads. You'll likely find a great deal of the information you are interested in without having to start a thread of your own.

Really because in all my english classes we learned that "doctor" applies to a single person (singular) and "doctor-s" refers to more than one doctor (plural). Correct me if I am wrong here. The show is called doctor 90210 not doctors 90210. Please explain this.:cool:

The point is, all of the doctors on "Dr. 90210" are "doctor 90210" individually.

Poor OP's thread has been completely dominated by that evil Dr. Rey!

After a few months away from these forums, can I just say, with total earnestness...

WOW

Sure, you might be that golden child who will actually have all the necessary aspects of an application to get a plastics residency, but I wouldn't go to medschool if this is the only part of medicine that interests you, because statistically speaking, you're probably not that person. If you could see yourself happy practicing in other specialties then go for it, and work your tush off and maybe you will get to that dream.

I think this is exceptionally good advice. You can shoot for a target, but need to know that it is a longshot and that other very good shots will be shooting at it as well, and there aren't enough such spots to go around. Until you take a few first year med school tests, you won't know if you are going to be the class star or the average to subaverage joe. Even then, you won't really know how competitive you are until after the boards at the end of your second year of med school. And in third year, you may well find you like one of your non-surgical rotations better than surgery, so you need to keep an open mind. Most people change their minds several times before getting to their ultimate specialty, and it benefits folks to be flexible and not box themself into a field that doesn't offer everything they ultimately find important. So relax -- this is going to be a very long road with some victories and some disappointments, and you may need to be flexible with your dreams as the future unfolds. If you can only see yourself doing plastics, or want to be the next Dr Rey, etc., I would say you need more time to get some perspective. Good luck.

im going to rutgers and became good partners with a group of people (who decide to vote you in the program) that want me to get into this program where i can start med school my 4th year at rutgers
really. I find this just a tad unlikely.

You have to be able to bench press your board score.

If my board score were my bench press I'd be golden in about anything....it is my weakest lift but considering when I am in full tilt training I warmup at around 225 I should be golden.:p

It's a show about a doctor who only does breast augs. No other plastic surgery, he's not even one. He is a general surgeon. Now do you get it?

If you are referring to Dr. Rey than I think you are misinformed. He may not be board certified in plastic surgery but he completed a fellowship in plastic surgery after his general surgery residency. So he is considered a plastic surgeon.

If you try to send another stupid question to the allo forum, I will hunt you down and kill you!!!

:)

I dont see why you cant be something you want to be. I heard its like 80 hours a week meaning if you want to do this after they explain it to you then without a doubt you should be able to.
If I practice my jumpshot for hours every day and am willing to travel, can I play with the NBA?

Yes but he had no training to do these procedures. It would be the same thing if I went out and did lipo in the street (minus a general surgey background).

Cept he's a license Physician and Surgeon and you're not. As an MD you can do any procedure you can convince someone to let you do as long as you're not afraid of being sued due to bad results.

Well first learn english and second I never said I was a physician. Third you are not a licensed physicin either.:cool:
Yes but he had no training to do these procedures. It would be the same thing if I went out and did lipo in the street (minus a general surgey background).
Stop being hypocritical. Once again, it is NOT the same thing as you doing lipo. That's ILLEGAL, what he does is legal.

"Im just trying to figure out with going to plastic surgery school"

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Try again using a proper sentence.

"He trained at Harbor-UCLA for general surgery followed by a plastic surgery residency at the University of Tennessee. He then completed an aesthetic and breast reconstruction fellowship at Harvard-Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital. He is not a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and does not advertise that he is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery."

I got this from some website. Any allos want to clear this up for me? What does this mean?

"Im just trying to figure out with going to plastic surgery school"

I have no idea what you are trying to say. Try again using a proper sentence.

He appears to be confused about whether there are special med schools you need to go to for plastic surgery, but I could be wrong. That lack of info in and of itself makes me think he needs to research this decision a bit more before going to med school. This career path isn't the right one for someone who hasn't done some research on it.

But the only procedure he does is breast augs. So among "real" plastic surgeons who do more than just that, he is not considered one.

As Law2Doc pointed out, he does more than just breast augmentations. Since he completed a general surgery residency and a fellowship in plastic surgery he is a "real" plastic surgeon. Now he may be viewed as a tool by other surgeons but that does not make him any less "real" of a plastic surgeon then any of the other plastic surgeons on Dr. 90210.