Surgery and IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tone2002

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just two questions which are problem simple ones...

I'm curious during the FP residency, on your Surgery rotation, is the resident admitting and managing patients on the service or are they required also to scrub in and be a 1st assist also.

In a hospital that has a FP service, why are residents required to also rotate on the IM service. Don't they do the same thing or is it just a license issue?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious during the FP residency, on your Surgery rotation, is the resident admitting and managing patients on the service or are they required also to scrub in and be a 1st assist also.

What the FP resident does during his/her surgery rotation depends on whether the residency program is opposed or unopposed.

If the family medicine program is OPPOSED (i.e. the hospital has residencies in other specialties), then the resident will most likely admit and manage patients on the service.

If the family medicine program is UNOPPOSED (i.e. family medicine is the ONLY residency in the hospital), then the resident will most likely scrub in and first assist, in addition to managing patients on the service.

Totally variable. I worked with a surgeon in private practice who pretty much let me do whatever I wanted to do. I didn't really want to round on his hospital patients, so I didn't. I spent a lot of time in clinic doing post-op checks, which he loved, and also doing "lumps and bumps," which I loved. I went to the OR when I felt like it, and he'd let me first-assist. It was pretty laid-back, really.

In a hospital that has a FP service, why are residents required to also rotate on the IM service.

They aren't, at least not universally. If this happens, it's program-specific, perhaps because their FM inpatient census is too low to fulfill ACGME requirements (just a guess.)