Surgery Audio Learning

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Daneeka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There have been a few threads on this in the past but I wanted to see if anyone had any updates.

I'm looking for surgery audio learning (podcasts, CME CD's, lectures, etc).

So far I have found:
1. ICU Rounds - free podcast by a burn surgeon at Vandy
2. AudioDigest - for a fee they will mail you CD's of lectures 1-2 times per month
3. Then there are the much more expensive board review services (SESAP, New York Gen Surg Review, Osler, etc)

In the past I listened to a monthly podcast that some ER guys out of southern California produce (EM RAP). They charge a monthly fee but these guys are very entertaining and informative. Finally,there is another ER guy that records an ICU podcast (EM Cit) which I have also found to be informative and easy on the ears.

Has anyone found any other audio stuff for general surgery?

Members don't see this ad.

There have been a few threads on this in the past but I wanted to see if anyone had any updates.

I'm looking for surgery audio learning (podcasts, CME CD's, lectures, etc).

So far I have found:
1. ICU Rounds - free podcast by a burn surgeon at Vandy
2. AudioDigest - for a fee they will mail you CD's of lectures 1-2 times per month
3. Then there are the much more expensive board review services (SESAP, New York Gen Surg Review, Osler, etc)

In the past I listened to a monthly podcast that some ER guys out of southern California produce (EM RAP). They charge a monthly fee but these guys are very entertaining and informative. Finally,there is another ER guy that records an ICU podcast (EM Cit) which I have also found to be informative and easy on the ears.

Has anyone found any other audio stuff for general surgery?

General surgery audio digest also offers 3 years worth of mp3s if you order it, although I recommend checking your library or asking the department to buy it for you.

SESAP is good but ridiculously expensive, and Dr. Weigelt's voice will leave a permanent imprint on your brain.

The burndoc.net stuff is pretty good but has a narrow scope, being limited to ICU management.

I would also be interested in learning of any other resources. I routinely use Audio Digest and I really like it. I have heard, however, that they don't pay the docs for their lectures, and so the lecturers aren't as happy with the program as we are.

ive listened to all of NYGSBR and SESAP, both are very good audio reviews/discussions
these are expensive but our library owns them at the residents request

also, like others here, i like very much Dr Guys ICU podcasts

Members don't see this ad :)
I've listened to a few of the Audio Digest mp3s...need to use them more but I think I'm more of a visual learner. They have a great selection of lecturers though.

What do the SESAP ones do? Are they reading through the explanations to the questions or is it somewhat dissociated from the written form?
the SESAP audio is almost completely seperate from the text
the format is conversational, discuss current/new treatments for problems we deal with on a daily basis
it also provokes some though on issues

the SESAP audio is almost completely seperate from the text
the format is conversational, discuss current/new treatments for problems we deal with on a daily basis
it also provokes some though on issues

Interesting. I was thinking about getting it for MOC but was debating between the internet based format or the audio CDs (to listen to while I was driving). Sounds like they might be complimentary (not sure I could get double CMEs for doing both).

Interesting. I was thinking about getting it for MOC but was debating between the internet based format or the audio CDs (to listen to while I was driving). Sounds like they might be complimentary (not sure I could get double CMEs for doing both).
the CD/mp3 format is VERY convient, just load on ipod
i listened to them at work or in car, pretty much anywhere you go and have a free time
the only bad thing is that it is very expensive, almost prohibitively for a resident, which is why i had to get it from our medical library

SESAP audio companion is overall pretty good, but it's basically a forum for famous people to try and defend their biases, so it's not always clear-cut what the right answer is. However, as said previously, the conversation style is easy to listen to, although you really get to know John Weigelt by the end, good or bad.

Honestly, though, it just costs too much at around $600, with only about 16 CDs. I think a subscription to audio digest may have more utility and more "bang for your buck."

I am cornfused.

Looks like to me that the price is $355 if you want CMEs or $315 without. Where are you guys getting the "prohibitively expensive"/"$600" from?

Not that that's cheap but $600 seems to be the price for "others" (ie, non ACS members/fellows/residents).