surgery handbook for clerk?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joel Fleischman

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth getting a handbook for surgery MSIII clerkship?
Or should I stick with the Washington Manual of Therapeutics?

Members don't see this ad.

I would get a copy of Recall from your library. I dont think you need to buy any particular books though.

Mont Reid is also a pretty good book if you want to know a little bit about pathophys and management. We had weekly surgery quizzes and I found this book to be really useful for those. Recall is better for the pimping in the OR in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
surgical recall is the bomb.

Yep, also would vouch for Recall. Had Mont Reid and was disappointed, too general in nature but still dense. This may be sacrelige, but Pocket Medicine or Tarascon's Critical Care are great for all things except the operation itself (a lot of the residents in the Surgical ICU carry the later). Pocket Surgery is pretty good for the step-by-steps of an operation.

Joel Fleischman said:
Is it worth getting a handbook for surgery MSIII clerkship?
Or should I stick with the Washington Manual of Therapeutics?

Recall is great for pre-OR reading to prepare for the pimp questions, but I think you def. need something else during the rotation. I love the Washington Manual. It has just the right amount of info, a little pathophys, but mainly diagnosis and treatment.

Medical123 said:
Mont Reid is also a pretty good book if you want to know a little bit about pathophys and management. We had weekly surgery quizzes and I found this book to be really useful for those. Recall is better for the pimping in the OR in my opinion.

I second the Mont Reid. It's more like the Washington Manual for surgery than Recall is. Recall is good as well for pimping, but hard to learn concepts from.