surgery letter used for anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gentamicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if using a surgery letter hurts me for anesthesia. I was interested in going into surgery before I decided at the last minute to apply for anesthesia instead, and I used one of my surgery letters. However, the attending specified in the letter that I am going into surgery. Will this be frowned upon by the anesthesia programs that I've applied to? Should I address that I was interested in surgery before but decided on anesthesia during my interview, or should I not say anything unless they ask?

Members don't see this ad.

Probably wont matter one bit - the good things he has to say about you is all that matters. If your really concerned about it, just put in your personal statement that you were interested in surgery but switched interests to anesthesiology - but really i dont think even thats not neccessary.

LORs just speaks to your character...I don't think of it as specialty specific.

I've personally written LORs for a general surgeon and CT surgeon...I know nothing about being either, but I know about them as physicians.