Surgery Observation!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shinobiz11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Observed two surgeries today with my local pod. Pretty cooooool stuff. I dawned the scrubs for the first time; lookin' mighty fine if I do say so myself. Had a great time with the doc and the chief resident. Podiatry is certainly looking like my calling.

First patient had a bunionectomy and joint implant on his big toe, along with his 2nd and 3rd hammertoes, and 2 neuromas. One of the neuromas was huge lol. Yup, two hours of surgery, really awesome stuff. On a hilarious note, the patient had sleep apnea; so every 15 minutes or so he would start coughing uncontrollably and wake up, look around, shake his head, and pass out again. I thought it was funny while everyone else ignored it lol.

Second patient was quick and simple. Arthroscopic procedure for plantar fasciitis, took around 20 minutes. Just cut the ligament(s).:confused: Was really impressed with the scope technology. The resolution on that camera was amazing, the whole thing was really cool, looked like it was straight out of a science fiction movie.

Also lol, when we were visiting the second patient pre-op; another patient in the bed next to ours just blurts out "You have beautiful hair". I'm like "haha, thanks..." :D I took off my headpiece and she gasped; the look on her face was just...:eek:. Then she went on for about 15 minutes on why she loves curly hair and thinks it's beautiful. The doctor ended up having to come and get me so she would stop talking. I personally felt like she was hitting on me. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Observed two surgeries today with my local pod. Pretty cooooool stuff. I dawned the scrubs for the first time; lookin' mighty fine if I do say so myself. Had a great time with the doc and the chief resident. Podiatry is certainly looking like my calling.

First patient had a bunionectomy and joint implant on his big toe, along with his 2nd and 3rd hammertoes, and 2 neuromas. One of the neuromas was huge lol. Yup, two hours of surgery, really awesome stuff. On a hilarious note, the patient had sleep apnea; so every 15 minutes or so he would start coughing uncontrollably and wake up, look around, shake his head, and pass out again. I thought it was funny while everyone else ignored it lol.

Second patient was quick and simple. Arthroscopic procedure for plantar fasciitis, took around 20 minutes. Just cut the ligament(s).:confused: Was really impressed with the scope technology. The resolution on that camera was amazing, the whole thing was really cool, looked like it was straight out of a science fiction movie.

Also lol, when we were visiting the second patient pre-op; another patient in the bed next to ours just blurts out "You have beautiful hair". I'm like "haha, thanks..." :D I took off my headpiece and she gasped; the look on her face was just...:eek:. Then she went on for about 15 minutes on why she loves curly hair and thinks it's beautiful. The doctor ended up having to come and get me so she would stop talking. I personally felt like she was hitting on me. :smuggrin:

That's sick! That first patient had a lot done!

Awesome! Hopefully I can observe my first surgery soon! (50+ shadowing hours and none yet :( ) haha although I have looked up a few on the ol' Youtuber ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome! Hopefully I can observe my first surgery soon! (50+ shadowing hours and none yet :( ) haha although I have looked up a few on the ol' Youtuber ;)

Check out PodiatryLive. There are some cool ones there too. It's free.

What a great experience!

The first one I saw in person was a bunionectomy as well, but missing all that additional cool stuff you got to see.

I remember seeing the bone saw, and not being able to get Spiderman out of my head. Whoa buddy, Macho Man Randy Savage is here, and he's gonna tear off yo' bunion!!! (yes, I do say "yo" instead of your in my head in Macho Man mode)

Needless to say I didn't share those feelings with the pod I was shadowing...

Aww man, you have to get the in OR. It's another experience. Nothing like the videos; well it is, but its in real time and such, I don't know lol.
HAHA BONESAW IS READY! That's great man.
No comments on the sexy hair btw? I was hoping for at least one :D

Are you a guy or girl?

If you're a guy, I know what you're talking about :)

I had the 70's hair to go along with my love for Pink Floyd and my '69 cutlass all through college. I cut it off for admissions interviews, though....I felt having everyone think I was a stoner with bad grades was fine in college when I could prove them wrong (about grades, anyway ;-)....I kid, I kid....), but ultimately a bad thing for interviewing. Gotta have that clean-cut look, doncha know?

Never really grew it back....but it did snag me a wife, so what can I say? Chicks dig curly hair.

If you're a girl, then I don't know what to say....and feel a little weird for comparing my hair to yours....and realizing now that I posted an entire post about hair....and feel even more strange.....

Are you a guy or girl?

If you're a guy, I know what you're talking about :)

I had the 70's hair to go along with my love for Pink Floyd and my '69 cutlass all through college. I cut it off for admissions interviews, though....I felt having everyone think I was a stoner with bad grades was fine in college when I could prove them wrong (about grades, anyway ;-)....I kid, I kid....), but ultimately a bad thing for interviewing. Gotta have that clean-cut look, doncha know?

Never really grew it back....but it did snag me a wife, so what can I say? Chicks dig curly hair.

If you're a girl, then I don't know what to say....and feel a little weird for comparing my hair to yours....and realizing now that I posted an entire post about hair....and feel even more strange.....

Hahaha nice. Its true, they do. My fiance loves it Umm...there is a link where it says "lookin mighty fine"