You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Surgery on family member
Started by Merely
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Yikes.I just finished a rotation where the surgeon (ob/gyn) did a surgery on his wife, we removed some fibroids she had, is this ethical/legal? I thought it was kinda weird but wasn’t sure what to make of it..thanks for any insights
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Legal, yes.I just finished a rotation where the surgeon (ob/gyn) did a surgery on his wife, we removed some fibroids she had, is this ethical/legal? I thought it was kinda weird but wasn’t sure what to make of it..thanks for any insights
Ethical grey area, perhaps. The AMA advises that “Physicians generally should not treat themselves or members of their immediate families.” Many reasons for this including a loss of objectivity.
Here's an interesting thought experiment (though with circumstances different than your situation). https://www.jvascsurg.org/article/S0741-5214(05)01158-4/fulltext
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished a rotation where the surgeon (ob/gyn) did a surgery on his wife, we removed some fibroids she had, is this ethical/legal? I thought it was kinda weird but wasn’t sure what to make of it..thanks for any insights
???
??????????
I just finished a rotation where the surgeon (ob/gyn) did a surgery on his wife, we removed some fibroids she had, is this ethical/legal? I thought it was kinda weird but wasn’t sure what to make of it..thanks for any insights
Yikes indeed... Finish this rotation and don't look back.
I just finished a rotation where the surgeon (ob/gyn) did a surgery on his wife, we removed some fibroids she had, is this ethical/legal? I thought it was kinda weird but wasn’t sure what to make of it..thanks for any insights
What type of setting was this? Academic tertiary care type place or rural community type place?
What type of setting was this? Academic tertiary care type place or rural community type place?
It was pp the guy owned the practice and surgery center
It was pp the guy owned the practice and surgery center
Ok. I don't think this is a good idea, but in certain rural settings with few providers I can see it happening.
This is like a Step question where it keeps giving you the wrong answer's outcome because there are more questions that way.It was pp the guy owned the practice and surgery center
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It’s weird. Definitely not illegal. I wouldn’t do it. I think there would be too mich pressure. The ethics isn’t exactly black and white. I think there’s an ethical dilemma if the fact that someone is your family member might change the way you manage a problem. If your goal was to cut off a skin cancer, for example, and there really wasn’t much variability in the way that procedure was accomplished, And your family member were paying like any other patient, I’m not sure there’s an ethical dilemma. The moment it changes the way you do your job, a dilemma arises, or at least it might. And once you start prescribing narcotics, there’s a problem.
Ok. I don't think this is a good idea, but in certain rural settings with few providers I can see it happening.
This happened in a very big city 2m+ population
Yes its legal.
Yes, its frowned upon by colleagues and professional societies. IMHO its most common with aesthetic procedures.
Now I've known some surgeon's family members who insisted (and one who relented) because they felt the surgeon was the best around and why would they want less for themselves.
You can definitely lose objectivity when treating family members and friends.
Yes, its frowned upon by colleagues and professional societies. IMHO its most common with aesthetic procedures.
Now I've known some surgeon's family members who insisted (and one who relented) because they felt the surgeon was the best around and why would they want less for themselves.
You can definitely lose objectivity when treating family members and friends.
I totally lose objectivity with family. You are absolutely, black-letter correct.Yes its legal.
Yes, its frowned upon by colleagues and professional societies. IMHO its most common with aesthetic procedures.
Now I've known some surgeon's family members who insisted (and one who relented) because they felt the surgeon was the best around and why would they want less for themselves.
You can definitely lose objectivity when treating family members and friends.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's not for everybody, but if both the surgeon and the wife are okay with it, who are we to object??
I would do and have done aesthetic surgery on family members. Why would I trust anyone else?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would do and have done aesthetic surgery on family members. Why would I trust anyone else?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
The more appropriate question would be, "do they trust you?" Or do they feel forced to have you do the surgery since you are a family member? That is the aspect of "treating a family member" that is not frequently addressed.
The more appropriate question would be, "do they trust you?" Or do they feel forced to have you do the surgery since you are a family member? That is the aspect of "treating a family member" that is not frequently addressed.
An interesting question...i can't read minds but I never got any bad vibes. And I never talk anyone into surgery, particularly family or friends
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would do and have done aesthetic surgery on family members. Why would I trust anyone else?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I hope you're being sardonic.
For aesthetic procedures that presumably are self pay cash procedures i can see it, but for things covered by insurance is it really the case that this would be allowed? I cant off the top of my head think of any super fun insurance fraud scams you could pull with this but it seems very sketchy and like something that would not be allowed. Like a self-kickbackYes its legal.
Yes, its frowned upon by colleagues and professional societies. IMHO its most common with aesthetic procedures.
Now I've known some surgeon's family members who insisted (and one who relented) because they felt the surgeon was the best around and why would they want less for themselves.
You can definitely lose objectivity when treating family members and friends.
For aesthetic procedures that presumably are self pay cash procedures i can see it, but for things covered by insurance is it really the case that this would be allowed? I cant off the top of my head think of any super fun insurance fraud scams you could pull with this but it seems very sketchy and like something that would not be allowed. Like a self-kickback
What is not allowable? If they have a problem, you can fix it...it's not fraud if the condition is real
For aesthetic procedures that presumably are self pay cash procedures i can see it, but for things covered by insurance is it really the case that this would be allowed? I cant off the top of my head think of any super fun insurance fraud scams you could pull with this but it seems very sketchy and like something that would not be allowed. Like a self-kickback
No, not an insurance problem. Just an ethics issue.
I doubt you'd have relatives lining up for unnecessary operations just to pad your bank account.For aesthetic procedures that presumably are self pay cash procedures i can see it, but for things covered by insurance is it really the case that this would be allowed? I cant off the top of my head think of any super fun insurance fraud scams you could pull with this but it seems very sketchy and like something that would not be allowed. Like a self-kickback
I doubt you'd have relatives lining up for unnecessary operations just to pad your bank account.
Would if I could
Anything in particular you'd like done?Would if I could
In the hospital system I work for, treating a family member in any way is not allowed. You can’t even see them in the office as an outpatient, let alone operate on them. It is a fire-able offense due to the ethical issues.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I assisted during my sister's hernia repair because I normally assist the other guy. He asked her privately if it was ok then he asked me privately if I was ok with it. Insurance had no problem paying me. Hospital had no problem with it either. Didn't want to be primary surgeon though.For aesthetic procedures that presumably are self pay cash procedures i can see it, but for things covered by insurance is it really the case that this would be allowed? I cant off the top of my head think of any super fun insurance fraud scams you could pull with this but it seems very sketchy and like something that would not be allowed. Like a self-kickback
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 473