1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Surgery Residency Database

Discussion in 'Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties' started by Pilot Doc, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Pilot Doc

Pilot Doc SDN Angel
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am compiling, for eventual web-posting, a database of general surgery residencies. The ideas is to take pertinent information from FREIDA, the ACGME website and the ACS website and put it in a customizable/sortable Excel spreadsheet. I am planning to include the following fields in the database.

Program Name
    Number of slots
    Web site
    History of unfilled categorical slots
    ACGME program # (useful for quickly accessing the FREIDA stats)
    * Required research year(s)
    * Available research year(s)
    * Time spent on out-of-town rotations

Two questions
    1) What other information would be useful
    2) How useful would the starred fields be? They would require a lot of work to get good data. :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. droliver

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    those research requirements would be hard to keep track of b/c many of them are fluid. A number of places have eliminated them b/c its expensive & not attractive to some candidates. At others it may or may not be optional depending upon manpower needs. I'm not sure that the unfilled position # really tells you much either about programs either (see Univ. of Virginia this past year).