surgery started off bad...

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by @70mphC2005--->, Mar 30, 2004.

1. @70mphC2005--->

7+ Year Member

i just started general surgery this week. i have already had surgery subspecialty rotation and decided my future is in one of the subspecs. but now that i'm in gen surg, things started off bad from minute 1.

i was signed off to a single patient that's practically dispo, my alarm clock didn't go off that morning, but fortunately i could show up to rounds with a horrendous presentation. now i'm still stuck with this one patient only, no chances to get new ones because i haven't done any surgeries with incoming patients nor will i be going into the 'or' much this week because of my call schedule. what blows is that i'm basically ignored [i think the resident hates me and it's only tuesday] possibly because i just have this one dispo patient while the other students have several patients and are being outwardly applauded for their 'hard work', and i have nothing to do all day.

help, does anyone have any suggestions to get out of this crap initial impression that's going on... :scared:

2. Categorical or prelim?

3. 12R34Y

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was under the impression that he is a 3rtd year student since this is posted in the clinical rotations forum.

4. Oh, I was confused since the OP said he'd already taken a surgical sub-specialty?

If you think you made a bad first impression, do what you gotta do in any situation - work your tail off to impress the residents/chief/attendings.

5. secretwave101

secretwave101 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Dude. Chill.

It's the 2nd day. No reasonable resident or attending hates a student on day 2.

6. supercut

supercut Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

take advantage of the fact that you have not so much to do right now by studying hard. Pay special attention to anatomy. If you don't know what cases you will have coming up, I'd review inguinal anatomy, layers of the abdomen encountered from skin to peritoneum, and intraabdominal anatomy. Be able to trace all the arteries and veins (if you can draw out a schematic of the celiac axis, sma (and collaterals connecting the two systems) ima, and know the blood suppy and venous drainage of all intraabdominal organs, you ought to be able to hande most pimping questions thrown your way. (most will be anatomy questions)

Start your study by knowing about your pt's disease, and then study that of other pts on the service.

Also, is the service so slow that you can't pick up another pt? Nothing wrong with asking!

Make sure that you are early every day. Go to bed very early if you have to in order to get up on time.

If you are at a place where the labs don't come back early in the am, you could take it upon yourself to look up and write down all the labs for all the pts, make copies and give to the residents.

Above all, relax and have fun.

7. cookypuss3

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Amen. No attending is going to remember what you did on Day 2 anyway.

8. Kluver Bucy

Kluver Bucy Gold Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In fact, it looks like the student didn't even remember.

9. Maybe the OP is still busy. It's only been around 4 weeks...a couple more to go, at least?