Surgery Text

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Hair and a Beard

Obsessionist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What surgery textbook do you follow?

I'm torn between Bailey and Love, and Current Surgical Diagnosis and Management. Though seniors say classnotes are your only hope for exams.

Members don't see this ad.

Surgery text for what? For a clinical clerkship?

For clerkships, surgical recall and mt. reid are really all you need, IMHO. To delve a little deeper, you could use Essentials of Surgery by Lawrence although I just bit the bullet and went for Greenfield (which I prefer to Sabiston or Schwartz). I don't think you can go wrong with Current. I have zero experience with Bailey & Love.

It really depends on what you're wanting from a text as well as your style of reading/studying. Ask a hundred people and get a hundred answers.

All you really need for a surgical clerkship and for the shelf is Surgical Recall and an abundance of questions (e.g., Pretest or Appleton & Lange Review of Surgery). Pretest questions are generally poorly written but the explanations are excellent. A&L's questions are a little better, a little on the easy side however, and the explanations are horrible.

Mont Reid is a little dense for the shelf, and its format is tough to digest. Do you go around memorizing laundry lists all day? If you do, you can do Mont Reid.

Lawrence is good and not dense. Easy read. It's not as well organized as other books on its level though.

As far as the bigger books like Schwartz, Sabiston, et al., I haven't really taken a look through them and don't plan to until residency (if I ever get there).