surgery to EM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Calirad

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a PGY2 surgical resident, but I think surgery is not for me. I would like to switch into EM next year or now ( I think it is impossible, right? probably no opening spot)
What should i do? I have great letters from my surgical attendings, great step 1 & 2 ( > 255), and great clinical grades. ( but not AOA).
My current residency program is in California, do I have any chance to stay in cali at all?
I will apply through ERAS again? Any other suggestion?

Members don't see this ad.

Does your current institution have an EM program? Talk to them about getting in.

No...it doesnt has a EM residency. That 's the problem :(

Members don't see this ad :)
You're in pretty great shape, I'd guess. You should be funded for another 3 years of training, and that will help. Also, if your current PD will be writing you a strong LOR then your switching won't be such a red flag.

How are you planning to get your EM SLOR? You'll need that to apply through ERAS.

My PD will support my decision, but she is in maternity leave right now. She probably will not be available until oct. (So far, I have got 2 LORs secured from other surgrical attendings). Will it be a problem?

I really want to stay in California? how competitive it is?

My PD will support my decision, but she is in maternity leave right now. She probably will not be available until oct. (So far, I have got 2 LORs secured from other surgrical attendings). Will it be a problem?

I really want to stay in California? how competitive it is?

I know surgery residency can be rough, but do you happen to have even like a week vacation coming up pretty soon? As someone said, a SLOR, or at least a Letter of Rec from EM is going to be needed to make you competitive... espically for the West Coast. Worst case scenario, I would consider talking with a program within driving distance and maybe go at least hang out for the weekend. Not certain if programs are open to that, but I bet they could be convinced. If I was a PD, and someone called me as a surgery resident with scores like yours and wanted to come 'hang out' for your only weekend off this month... I would be impressed and try to make it happen....

I think with your scores and such, as long as you interview well, you would have a good chance of matching. With that said, I think you should not limit yourself to a region and apply VERY broadly....

EDIT: Found this post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=848459

It does not sound like you are very commited to EM and are just looking for a way out of surgery, or is it rads. Like the post below, I am very confused. The grass is not always greener on the other side. I would recommend deciding 100% what you intend to apply for: EM, Anes, Radiology, or FM. Also, I would be very truthful with whomever you discuss this stuff with. This may be some "random internet forum" but I assure you what you say/do on here has a real possiblity of being known by someone who could make a difference in where you end up.....

Last edited:
I think there's no question you could get in somewhere with your scores, plus having 2 years of experience as a surgery resident would be a bonus AND you'd still have 3 years left of GME funding. 3 year programs would probably be your best bet but I really don't think you'll have a hard time finding somewhere as long as your program director is supportive. You definitely wouldn't have to do the entire 3 years since many of your rotations would count for some of your training. Good luck. We've had several surgery residents switch to EM over the years.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an EM program at your current institution? That might be the easiest thing...

As far as Cali... no clue about the west coast. I'd say if you want EM bad enough to go through all the hassle of changing residencies, ERAS, etc.. mid-way through which gives me a headache just thinking about it, I'd encourage you to be open to going outside the state. Apply widely. Best of luck.

So are you in radiology now and wanting to switch into anesthesiology, or surgery wanting to switch into EM? Your previous posts suggest that you are all over the place. Also, are you a foreign medical grad?