SURGERY vs Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

razza1

Reaction score
which is harder

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Surgery is WAY harder . On my general surgery rotation I had to be there at 4:45 and left at 5:30 if I was lucky. 6-7 if not... Was treated like **** because the residents are miserable

internal Medicine i rolled up at 7 ... got let out before 3 most days. Residents were super chill and great teachers.

In terms of the shelf though IM is more difficult to study for. More material to cover.

Surgery is WAY harder . On my general surgery rotation I had to be there at 4:45 and left at 5:30 if I was lucky. 6-7 if not... Was treated like **** because the residents are miserable

internal Medicine i rolled up at 7 ... got let out before 3 most days. Residents were super chill and great teachers.

In terms of the shelf though IM is more difficult to study for. More material to cover.
lol methinks you did not get an accurate representation of the medicine service

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
lol methinks you did not get an accurate representation of the medicine service

I had days worse than the surgery hours I’m told (i havent done surgery yet).

Yeah, id come in at 7 and leave minimum of 5 and many days of 7-8 pm plus required weekends. I dealt with an egotistical intern and resident. The attendings didn’t put much interest in you and spent like an hour with you a day and were the ones completing your eval. the shelf sucked because of the amount of material on it

I had days worse than the surgery hours I’m told (i havent done surgery yet).

Yeah, id come in at 7 and leave minimum of 5 and many days of 7-8 pm plus required weekends. I dealt with an egotistical intern and resident. The attendings didn’t put much interest in you and spent like an hour with you a day and were the ones completing your eval. the shelf sucked because of the amount of material on it

Wow. After rounds and a few procedures in the afternoon there was nothing to do for med students haha. Most of the gen med services are capped at 10-15 patients , maybe its different at other institutions.

I haven't done MICU yet so im sure thats more tough

surgery 5am-7pm
good alternative: pathology 7am-5pm

medicine 6am-8pm
good alternative: radiology 8am-6pm

Wow. After rounds and a few procedures in the afternoon there was nothing to do for med students haha. Most of the gen med services are capped at 10-15 patients , maybe its different at other institutions.

I haven't done MICU yet so im sure thats more tough

Haha i didnt say there was anything for us to do. Other than whatever bs the residents “found” for you to do. Either way, they liked to pull the “we’re here until 5 and you will be too” stuff. Our service was capped at 14

After the FM shelf I gladly welcomed the IM shelf. Felt like I was going from a firehouse to a water pistol

I thought IM was so much worse! FM was my first shelf, too. But peds was a doozy so I guess it is hard to even say anymore.

Reactions: 1 users
I think IM felt longer every day. Endless rounding, mentally draining and with a less appealing population.

I think IM felt longer every day. Endless rounding, mentally draining and with a less appealing population.
Agree that’s an excellent description of my first couple days of IM. It’s definitely harder to stay motivated.
Surgery hours are tough but the rotation is fun and exciting.

yes, holding a retractor for 3 hours during a colon resection was a thrill a minute

Reactions: 3 users
yes, holding a retractor for 3 hours during a colon resection was a thrill a minute
Lol eventually they let you cut, staple, or tie something.
It’s much better than rounding on the fifth heart failure patient with diabetes and CKD. :sleep:

Reactions: 1 users
Medicine is way way harder. There is so much time to think about self-harm when there's only 90 minutes of actual work crammed into a 12-hour day.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Will definitely differ based on your rotation site...for surgery we typically start around 530 and done by 2 or 3. For medicine we start at 6 and are done at 5 to 6. For us... IM and FM are the most demanding...peds and OB in the middle..and surgery and psych the most chill.

done with medicine and surgery
surgery was much harder good luck all