Surgery with bulging discs

Started by Maxwell23
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Maxwell23

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am very interested in surgery and would like to pursue this during residency (current 2nd year med student) but I have bulging disks at C3 and C4 that cause me to get headaches if I am looking down at an angle for a prolonged period of time. I have no problem when looking down for 20 minutes or so but hour or two I start getting headaches that don't go away for the rest of the day. What do you all think of this issue and its impact on my ability to become a good surgeon?
 
If it is as bad as you are depicting it, it would be wise to look into alternatives.
I tend to agree. Especially when you are learning and your attending doesn't put the bed where you want it or you have to wear loupes... neck killers even for someone without an issue.