Surgical cap study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anbuitachi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.generalsurgerynews.com/I.../Surgical-Caps-Get-Clean-Bill-of-Health/41337

I didn't know it was the periop nurses who fought for implementation of total head covering. Though I dont really get why eyebrows and eye lashes are not required to be covered.

Anyway, i hope studies gets done about wearing scrubs going out of OR area vs wearing a coverup over the scrubs..

I believe there has already been a study that showed anesthesiologists wearing a mask makes no difference

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.generalsurgerynews.com/I.../Surgical-Caps-Get-Clean-Bill-of-Health/41337

I didn't know it was the periop nurses who fought for implementation of total head covering. Though I dont really get why eyebrows and eye lashes are not required to be covered.

Anyway, i hope studies gets done about wearing scrubs going out of OR area vs wearing a coverup over the scrubs..

I believe there has already been a study that showed anesthesiologists wearing a mask makes no difference

Ahhhh, AORN, one of the most ridiculous organizations on the face of this earth. How they get so much influence in dictating peri operative care is beyond me.

The whole skullcap/bouffant issue is beyond stupid and just goes to show how they will look to cause problems. It makes no sense but look and behold , all 3 hospitals I have been at have completely banned skullcaps.

I don't even care if I use a bouffant. What truly bothers me is the nursing voodoo that gets spread and how this $hit flows in all directions.

Reactions: 2 users
The whole thing is ridiculous and obviously a play for power. I've never even heard of aorn until they decided to make banning caps their defining issue. They don't have any evidence or sense. The sheer amount of stupidity with the whole "your eartips are very colonized and must be completely covered" just blows my mind. Bacteria are everywhere, including the air you breathe. It's impossible to have a completely sterile environment. This is just another example of physicians losing power to administrators and quasi-medical groups who have absolutely no medical knowledge at all.

Surgeon comfort is a million times more important to the patient than some theoretical risk of skin cells falling off into the surgical site, especially when we have evidence against this nonsense.

All of these useless middlemen and self-serving advocacy groups do nothing but add to the cost of providing healthcare, while actively driving a wedge between the patient and the physician. We need to push back against this and do what's best for the patient without listening to nonsense from the undereducated peanut gallery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's cute that there are still doctors out there who think things like scientific research matter when it comes administrator decisions. We'll keep doing the studies, but they'll keep making the rules.

Reactions: 1 users
How do u guys feel about mandating oral airways be kept in a "sterile" unopened bag
U know that freaking 40 cents we save by not opening the oral airway little bag.

I guess that fine except when we can't ventilate a 350 patient with just the face mask and scramble to try to open the "sterile oral airway"

How do u guys feel about mandating oral airways be kept in a "sterile" unopened bag
U know that freaking 40 cents we save by not opening the oral airway little bag.

I guess that fine except when we can't ventilate a 350 patient with just the face mask and scramble to try to open the "sterile oral airway"

The mouth is a sterile environment and deserves sterile equipment. It's not like hospitals create mountains of nondegradable garbage. Stop being a difficult provider.

Magical thinking BS. Those boxes full of bouffants that everybody reaches into after changing out of street clothes, scratching their junk and adjusting their tighty whities is REAL sterile . Dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I am always amazed that so many things we do are now dictated by evidence based medicine. Anecdotal evidence is often a source of contention. In our training, you learn of a million scenarios where the 'logical' or 'obvious' thing is in actuality the complete opposite of what is right or correct.

But somehow people can make up rules, that go against the evidence, and people still side with them. Its like a childhood argument. You only have to follow the rules if they say so, and EBM doesn't apply to others. How can you go to a committee and argue with certainty that covering your ears completely vs not is no less safe? People think logically it makes sense despite the evidence. And we all know from the current political climate, its often not even about facts, its about feelings.

My suggestion? Find the most ridiculous AORN standards that aren't being followed by your hospital, and keep them in your memory bank for future use. When a couple of nurse admins started making noise about banning the jacket that I, and some of my colleagues, like to wear in the OR, I gently reminded them of the AORN standard for OR temp, and said I would happily stop wearing my jacket when the OR temps were maintained per AORN standards. I also mentioned that AORN standards are nursing standards, and I am not a nurse, but I think it was the first statement that was most effective.

Reactions: 2 users
What is there evidence for in terms of hats masks etc for ourselves?

1 hospital I worked in the anaesthesics didn't wear any hats at all ever.

Most if the time for spinal epidurals and periph nerve blocks, art line I wear sterile gloves face mask and disposable hat and use uss probe covers.

All central lines are full scrub...

What does everyone else do?

The OR clinical coordinator, RN, BSN, MSN, CSN, QWERTY at my facility asked me to wear a beard net (yes they make these) IN ADDITION to a surgical mask. I laughed and told her to leave my office.

Reactions: 1 user
What is there evidence for in terms of hats masks etc for ourselves?

1 hospital I worked in the anaesthesics didn't wear any hats at all ever.

Most if the time for spinal epidurals and periph nerve blocks, art line I wear sterile gloves face mask and disposable hat and use uss probe covers.

All central lines are full scrub...

What does everyone else do?

Bouffant cap past the "red line" and mask up if sterile instruments are open in OR.

No touch technique with sterile gloves for PNBs with mask up. Non sterile ultrasound gel and chlorhexidine wipe passed off clean for probe after chlorhexidine prep.

Art lines depends on acuity. If planned preop, sterile technique. If trauma in OR, gloves out of the box and alcohol wipe if I have time.

Central lines, full scrub or foam with sterile technique - gown, gloves, ultrasound probe cover, etc.

Spinals, ESIs, or blood patches sterile technique with gloves only.

Epidurals or peripheral nerve catheters, strict sterile technique with gown.

I'm in my street clothes with sterile gloves for OB epidurals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm in my street clothes with sterile gloves for OB epidurals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've considered this when I show up from home and can hear the lady screaming from the back door. I don't have a problem with sterility issues but think it might come across as unprofessional
Only time I've done it was for the wife's last epidural :naughty:

Masks by OR personnel have been shown to make zero difference. I get a kick out of those strict mask policies as we wheel in a patient to the OR with nasty halitosis who hasn't brushed their teeth in years. Anyone ever seen a wound infection from respiratory flora? Honest question.

Masks by OR personnel have been shown to make zero difference. I get a kick out of those strict mask policies as we wheel in a patient to the OR with nasty halitosis who hasn't brushed their teeth in years. Anyone ever seen a wound infection from respiratory flora? Honest question.

Even surgeons? masks by anesthesiologists have zero difference. but seems its possible it makes a difference for surgeons? since they love talking and yelling while operating, so i imagine w/o a mask, a gallon of spit would fall into the surgical area

Even surgeons? masks by anesthesiologists have zero difference. but seems its possible it makes a difference for surgeons? since they love talking and yelling while operating, so i imagine w/o a mask, a gallon of spit would fall into the surgical area

That is not with surgeons. I think we all agree that they need masks.

I wanted to write a review article on all this crap, but it was shot down as being to contentious. SMH

There's literally no good evidence for any of the crap we're supposed to do

Ahhhh, AORN, one of the most ridiculous organizations on the face of this earth. How they get so much influence in dictating peri operative care is beyond me.

The whole skullcap/bouffant issue is beyond stupid and just goes to show how they will look to cause problems. It makes no sense but look and behold , all 3 hospitals I have been at have completely banned skullcaps. QUOTE].

Yes...meanwhile we wheel "Grizzly Adams" into the room with no mask and bare shouldered and not an eyelash is batted.