- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties
- Surgical Residency Applications and Interviews
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Surgical Oncology Fellowship (2023 Start) Interview Thread
Started by SurgNY
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Rogers Williams
UTHSC
Aurora
UTHSC
Aurora
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is it just me or does it seem like there is much more doubling or tripling up on specific dates of the interview calendar vs years past?
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
University of New Mexico 1/5
Roswell Park 1/6
Roswell Park 1/6
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Do you all know if interviews go out just once for each program? Or are there any programs that typically send out multiple rounds?
Do you all know if interviews go out just once for each program? Or are there any programs that typically send out multiple rounds?I’m not sure, I’ve been wondering the same thing.
Just got Roswell Park today, while some people got it earlier last month… not sure if this is the rule or the exception though
I'd bet that for programs that send out early invites (and programs not MSK, MDA, etc) they send out invites more than once or at least that there's a good likelihood they will. Send invites to a first pass group, wait to see if slots aren't filled, then do a second.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking back at years past it doesn’t look like many send out more than one round of interviews. That’s only my interpretation after reading through these types of threads. I am also curious how many applicants there are this year… a friend of mine applying CTS said they’ve had far more applications since virtual interviews started.
FWIW- I think in years past there didn't seem to be a reason to post a program sending a 2nd round (in the end it's a big ambiguous whether there wasn't 2nd rounds or whether applicants didn't post about it), maybe they felt like "oh XYZ is already on this list, move along." I'm not sure.Looking back at years past it doesn’t look like many send out more than one round of interviews. That’s only my interpretation after reading through these types of threads. I am also curious how many applicants there are this year… a friend of mine applying CTS said they’ve had far more applications since virtual interviews started.
It makes me wonder with a program like UNM having a waitlist for the 1st date, whether applicants merely have a preference or a conflict for the latter date. If those waitlisted don't move to the latter date, will UNM send out more invites? 🤔
I'm definitely curious on the # of applicants as well. Anecdotally, early in residency I knew of 3 wanting to do surg onc. During research elsewhere, the program there usually has 2-3. In the end, that 3 turned into 1 and the 2-3 also turned into just 1...
My program only sent one round. The applicant pool is not that huge and almost everyone replies yes because there's only what, 26 programs ish? Most people will not get invited to all 26 and its surg-onc so, most applicants will take most of the interviews offered to them.
This application cycle there are 36 total programs, including the 5 Canadia programs, but not including Stanford since they aren't taking a fellow this year.My program only sent one round. The applicant pool is not that huge and almost everyone replies yes because there's only what, 26 programs ish? Most people will not get invited to all 26 and its surg-onc so, most applicants will take most of the interviews offered to them.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Wake Forrest 1/11
That makes 2 programs so far that have done 2 rounds of invites, Roswell Park and now Wake.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Nothing yet but I think they have an early interview date in February. I'm guessing next week will get busy because applications close monday?
Maybe they have a short list for last minute invites?UNC 1/19
I haven’t heard anything from WF. Didn’t get an interview there either first or second round, but also no acknowledgment letter either. Weird.
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
University of Louisville 1/25
UPMC 1/25
No need to add Emory with receiving an invite on the same date as two posts above right?Emory 1/24
MCW 1/25
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25
Recap to date:
Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6
Aurora 12/13
Roger Williams 12/20
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24
University of Louisville 1/25
MCW 1/25
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25
UPMC 1/25
Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6
Aurora 12/13
Roger Williams 12/20
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24
University of Louisville 1/25
MCW 1/25
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25
UPMC 1/25
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Anyone know if UPMC went out via my eras or email?
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Anyone know if UPMC went out via my eras or email?
Via EmailAnyone know if UPMC went out via my eras or email?
surgoncology2023
New Member
I'm hoping to get a sense of how many interviews people are doing this year. I'm not sure how many to take. Overall, the match last year was a bit less competitive. Only 1 US MD didn't match. That being said, I probably over applied due to the ease of zoom interviews. Now that they're coming in, the thought of doing >20 interviews sounds like overkill and a recipe for interview burn out. Also, if I cancel or decline some, it may open them up for someone who isn't getting as many or may be more interested in that particular program. Any thoughts?
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
My mentors have told me 10-15. I think given the virtual format. Opening some up for others is a good idea.
Agreed.My mentors have told me 10-15. I think given the virtual format. Opening some up for others is a good idea.
Overapplying is easy when you want to increase your chances to feel out programs and compare. Not to mention increases odds of matching. Also agree @surgoncology2023 that >20 sounds incredibly exhausting and also overkill.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Can anyone summarize the current list with who sent invites via personal emails?
Apparently there has been some misspellings of my name and the wrong email doesn't send a fail to send because another person has my same name at my institution....
Apparently there has been some misspellings of my name and the wrong email doesn't send a fail to send because another person has my same name at my institution....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to hear that. I hope this helps.Can anyone summarize the current list with who sent invites via personal emails?
Apparently there has been some misspellings of my name and the wrong email doesn't send a fail to send because another person has my same name at my institution....
Maybe someone can fill the gaps
Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6 - email
Aurora 12/13 - eras
Roger Williams 12/20 - email
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5 - eras
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18 - email
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24 - eras
University of Louisville 1/25
MCW 1/25 - eras
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25 - email
UPMC 1/25 - email
Loma Linda 1/26 - eras
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Wow. Thank you! I appreciate everyone's input.
University of Louisville 1/25Sorry to hear that. I hope this helps.
Maybe someone can fill the gaps
Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6 - email
Aurora 12/13 - eras
Roger Williams 12/20 - email
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5 - eras
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18 - email
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24 - eras
University of Louisville 1/25
MCW 1/25 - eras
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25 - email
UPMC 1/25 - email
Loma Linda 1/26 - eras
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28
all ERAS
I would agree with that. People who arent getting enough interviews will benefit from it.I'm hoping to get a sense of how many interviews people are doing this year. I'm not sure how many to take. Overall, the match last year was a bit less competitive. Only 1 US MD didn't match. That being said, I probably over applied due to the ease of zoom interviews. Now that they're coming in, the thought of doing >20 interviews sounds like overkill and a recipe for interview burn out. Also, if I cancel or decline some, it may open them up for someone who isn't getting as many or may be more interested in that particular program. Any thoughts?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K