Surgical Oncology Fellowship (2023 Start) Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurgNY

Reaction score
Just wanted to start a thread for fellowship cycle
Anyone heard from any programs so far?

Members don't see this ad.

Fox Chase
UTHSC
Roger Williams

Members don't see this ad :)
Roswell Park: 12/9
Aurora: 12/13
Roger Williams: 12/20
UTHSC: 12/20

Is it just me or does it seem like there is much more doubling or tripling up on specific dates of the interview calendar vs years past?

Aurora
Roger Williams
Univ of New Mexico (1/5)

Do you all know if interviews go out just once for each program? Or are there any programs that typically send out multiple rounds?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m not sure, I’ve been wondering the same thing.
Do you all know if interviews go out just once for each program? Or are there any programs that typically send out multiple rounds?

Just got Roswell Park today, while some people got it earlier last month… not sure if this is the rule or the exception though

Reactions: 1 user
I'd bet that for programs that send out early invites (and programs not MSK, MDA, etc) they send out invites more than once or at least that there's a good likelihood they will. Send invites to a first pass group, wait to see if slots aren't filled, then do a second.

Looking back at years past it doesn’t look like many send out more than one round of interviews. That’s only my interpretation after reading through these types of threads. I am also curious how many applicants there are this year… a friend of mine applying CTS said they’ve had far more applications since virtual interviews started.

Looking back at years past it doesn’t look like many send out more than one round of interviews. That’s only my interpretation after reading through these types of threads. I am also curious how many applicants there are this year… a friend of mine applying CTS said they’ve had far more applications since virtual interviews started.
FWIW- I think in years past there didn't seem to be a reason to post a program sending a 2nd round (in the end it's a big ambiguous whether there wasn't 2nd rounds or whether applicants didn't post about it), maybe they felt like "oh XYZ is already on this list, move along." I'm not sure.

It makes me wonder with a program like UNM having a waitlist for the 1st date, whether applicants merely have a preference or a conflict for the latter date. If those waitlisted don't move to the latter date, will UNM send out more invites? :unsure:

I'm definitely curious on the # of applicants as well. Anecdotally, early in residency I knew of 3 wanting to do surg onc. During research elsewhere, the program there usually has 2-3. In the end, that 3 turned into 1 and the 2-3 also turned into just 1...

My program only sent one round. The applicant pool is not that huge and almost everyone replies yes because there's only what, 26 programs ish? Most people will not get invited to all 26 and its surg-onc so, most applicants will take most of the interviews offered to them.

My program only sent one round. The applicant pool is not that huge and almost everyone replies yes because there's only what, 26 programs ish? Most people will not get invited to all 26 and its surg-onc so, most applicants will take most of the interviews offered to them.
This application cycle there are 36 total programs, including the 5 Canadia programs, but not including Stanford since they aren't taking a fellow this year.

That makes 2 programs so far that have done 2 rounds of invites, Roswell Park and now Wake.

RWMC also seems to have sent out two batches.

Anybody hear anything from U of chicago or MCW? Last year they seemed early too.

Nothing yet but I think they have an early interview date in February. I'm guessing next week will get busy because applications close monday?

Aurora
Roger Williams
Univ of New Mexico (1/5)
Roswell-Park (1/6)

Univ of Miami (1/18)

--
Acknowledgment/Rejection letter: Wake Forest (1/18)

UNC 1/19

I haven’t heard anything from WF. Didn’t get an interview there either first or second round, but also no acknowledgment letter either. Weird.

UNC 1/19

I haven’t heard anything from WF. Didn’t get an interview there either first or second round, but also no acknowledgment letter either. Weird.
Maybe they have a short list for last minute invites?

Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24

Last edited:
Emory 1/24
MCW 1/25
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25

Recap to date:

Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6
Aurora 12/13
Roger Williams 12/20
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24
University of Louisville 1/25
MCW 1/25
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25
UPMC 1/25

Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27

Last edited:
I'm hoping to get a sense of how many interviews people are doing this year. I'm not sure how many to take. Overall, the match last year was a bit less competitive. Only 1 US MD didn't match. That being said, I probably over applied due to the ease of zoom interviews. Now that they're coming in, the thought of doing >20 interviews sounds like overkill and a recipe for interview burn out. Also, if I cancel or decline some, it may open them up for someone who isn't getting as many or may be more interested in that particular program. Any thoughts?

My mentors have told me 10-15. I think given the virtual format. Opening some up for others is a good idea.

My mentors have told me 10-15. I think given the virtual format. Opening some up for others is a good idea.
Agreed.

Overapplying is easy when you want to increase your chances to feel out programs and compare. Not to mention increases odds of matching. Also agree @surgoncology2023 that >20 sounds incredibly exhausting and also overkill.

Can anyone summarize the current list with who sent invites via personal emails?
Apparently there has been some misspellings of my name and the wrong email doesn't send a fail to send because another person has my same name at my institution....

Can anyone summarize the current list with who sent invites via personal emails?
Apparently there has been some misspellings of my name and the wrong email doesn't send a fail to send because another person has my same name at my institution....
Sorry to hear that. I hope this helps.
Maybe someone can fill the gaps

Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6 - email
Aurora 12/13 - eras
Roger Williams 12/20 - email
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5 - eras
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18 - email
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24 - eras
MCW 1/25 - eras
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25 - email
UPMC 1/25 - email
Loma Linda 1/26 - eras
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28

Just to follow-up on a few from the above:

Hofstra - ERAS
UNC - ERAS
UTHSC - ERAS
Rutgers - email

Sorry to hear that. I hope this helps.
Maybe someone can fill the gaps

Fox Chase
Roswell Park 12/9, 1/6 - email
Aurora 12/13 - eras
Roger Williams 12/20 - email
UTHSC 12/20
Univ of New Mexico 1/5 - eras
Wake Forrest 1/5, 1/11
Univ of Miami / Jackson Health 1/18 - email
UNC 1/19
Johns Hopkins 1/21
Rutgers 1/21
Northwell/Hofstra 1/24
Emory 1/24 - eras
MCW 1/25 - eras
Univ of Wisconsin 1/25 - email
UPMC 1/25 - email
Loma Linda 1/26 - eras
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28
Cedars-Sinai 1/27
OSU 1/27
VCU 1/28

all ERAS

I'm hoping to get a sense of how many interviews people are doing this year. I'm not sure how many to take. Overall, the match last year was a bit less competitive. Only 1 US MD didn't match. That being said, I probably over applied due to the ease of zoom interviews. Now that they're coming in, the thought of doing >20 interviews sounds like overkill and a recipe for interview burn out. Also, if I cancel or decline some, it may open them up for someone who isn't getting as many or may be more interested in that particular program. Any thoughts?
I would agree with that. People who arent getting enough interviews will benefit from it.