- Home
- Forums
- Physician and Resident Communities (MD / DO)
- Surgery and Surgical Subspecialties
- Surgical Residency Applications and Interviews
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Surgical Oncology Fellowship (2023 Start) Interview Thread
Started by SurgNY
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nope. Which is a bit odd since they are the first program on the calendar [2/7] UNLESS they go the route a few programs have and only opt for the 1 date [the other date is 5/7]...Anyone heard from UChicago?
herbollomieu
New Member
Yeah, I got UChicago on 1/18 via ERAS.
Has anyone heard from the Canadian programs yet?
Has anyone heard from the Canadian programs yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
surgoncology2023
New Member
I received an invitation from Mount Sinai today that said they wanted to make sure I received my invitation that they originally sent out 1.5 weeks ago through the ERAS scheduler. They said people are reporting problems with ERAS. It was the first notice I received from them and I still don’t have a scheduler invitation. No one else has reported receiving Mount Sinai yet unless I missed it. It seems like other programs have had similar issues
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Same for Mount Sinai!
Same!Same for Mount Sinai!
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Hello All! I am entering a plea for anyone who has availability to open up spots at Wake Forrest for March 3rd. It looks like Moffitt and Wake Forrest are both interviewing April 29th. Unfortunately it is the only day for Moffitt. If anyone has the ability to switch their March 3rd Wake Forrest to the 29th that would be much appreciated by the three people on the Wake Forrest Wait List for The 3rd.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
I mean March 4th!
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Any one heard from:
City of Hope
University of California Irvine
Strong Memorial
Saint Johns
City of Hope
University of California Irvine
Strong Memorial
Saint Johns
NopeAny one heard from:
City of Hope
University of California Irvine
Strong Memorial
Saint Johns
surgoncology2023
New Member
Strong Memorial is Roswell Park. It was one of the first to offerAny one heard from:
City of Hope
University of California Irvine
Strong Memorial
Saint Johns
Strong is Rochester, and Roswell Park is Buffalo. Separate academic affiliations, and about an hour apart.Strong Memorial is Roswell Park. It was one of the first to offer
Now, I'm not surg onc. I'm geographically in the area. I don't know about any ad hoc relationships.
surgoncology2023
New Member
You're right but the program listed on ERAS as "Strong Memorial Hospital of the University of Rochester Program" is Roswell Park in Buffalo which was one of the first programs to offer. Strong in Rochester does not have a program.Strong is Rochester, and Roswell Park is Buffalo. Separate academic affiliations, and about an hour apart.
Now, I'm not surg onc. I'm geographically in the area. I don't know about any ad hoc relationships.
That sounds goofy. The UR and UB systems are like UCLA and USC or UTH and Baylor. Best of luck! I was just a dumb ER doc!You're right but the program listed on ERAS as "Strong Memorial Hospital of the University of Rochester Program" is Roswell Park in Buffalo which was one of the first programs to offer. Strong in Rochester does not have a program.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
surgoncology2023
New Member
Not sure if anyone has seen the data here (ERAS Statistics). When you look at the "preliminary data", "It says data is as of 1/11". For 2022, it says 78 total apps to CGSO. For 2021, it says 76 total apps.
Compare that to the NRMP data from last year (https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Surgical-Oncology-_AY2021.pdf). It says there were 76 applicants and 66 matched.
Overall, applications look to be stable from last year. There will be 78 applicants for 66 spots.
Compare that to the NRMP data from last year (https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Surgical-Oncology-_AY2021.pdf). It says there were 76 applicants and 66 matched.
Overall, applications look to be stable from last year. There will be 78 applicants for 66 spots.
Yeah, I got UChicago on 1/18 via ERAS.
Has anyone heard from the Canadian programs yet?
I've heard from UBC and Calgary so far. Not sure about Toronto or Ottawa. I think McGill is not participating this year right?
Via eras or mail ?MSKCC 2/9
Via eras or mail ?
Anyone canceled interviews that they previously accepted? How much of an issue (considered rude or improper) do programs find doing so? [maybe @Lem0nz or others could add thoughts here if you don't mind]
It's getting to the point where the total number is burdensome and a few programs remain that I'd prefer over others already accepted, but also don't want to burn any bridges or be rude in informing a few programs that I no longer want to participate in their program's interview. And as previously mentioned, I like the idea that doing so might give someone else an opportunity to interview there.
It's getting to the point where the total number is burdensome and a few programs remain that I'd prefer over others already accepted, but also don't want to burn any bridges or be rude in informing a few programs that I no longer want to participate in their program's interview. And as previously mentioned, I like the idea that doing so might give someone else an opportunity to interview there.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Several of the coordinators at my program for other fellowship (we don't have surg onc) said its not problematic unless it's last minute. Also would be nice for those with less interviews for sure!
Totally fine. As others have said do it sooner than later.
From the program perspective: The surg onc fellowships essentially never scramble so they’re not really super upset; they will all match someone, and nearly everyone applying and being interviewed is a well qualified candidate. The field self selects very, very well.
From the program perspective: The surg onc fellowships essentially never scramble so they’re not really super upset; they will all match someone, and nearly everyone applying and being interviewed is a well qualified candidate. The field self selects very, very well.
herbollomieu
New Member
Does anyone have an overview over which programs are still pending sending out invites?
MD Anderson mentions on their homepage that interviews will go out in March, although that seems kinda late in the game. Guess the big names in the game can afford it...
MD Anderson mentions on their homepage that interviews will go out in March, although that seems kinda late in the game. Guess the big names in the game can afford it...
There are some question marks remaining: has anyone received invites to Saint John's (John Wayne), Irvine, or City of Hope?Does anyone have an overview over which programs are still pending sending out invites?
MD Anderson mentions on their homepage that interviews will go out in March, although that seems kinda late in the game. Guess the big names in the game can afford it...
MDA has always seemed to send out invites fairly late.
herbollomieu
New Member
Haven't heard from any of them. I believe Toronto is pending as well.There are some question marks remaining: has anyone received invites to Saint John's (John Wayne), Irvine, or City of Hope?
MDA has always seemed to send out invites fairly late.
SurgOnc2023
Full Member
Saint John's via Eras 2/14
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
surgoncology2023
New Member
UC Irvine 3/1
City of Hope tweeted they would send invites 2/28 but I haven't received one. MD Anderson tweeted that interviews would go out this week but haven't received one.
City of Hope tweeted they would send invites 2/28 but I haven't received one. MD Anderson tweeted that interviews would go out this week but haven't received one.
surgoncology2023
New Member
MD Anderson 3/2
me too congrats!!MD Anderson 3/2
I thought it was interesting the interview date is 4/22 & or 23 [the wording was somewhat confusing] but I could’ve sworn their tweet months ago announced it being May 14, only 1 date, w/ invites going out first week in March. Did they call an audible and do 2 dates? (Anybody get an invite for the May date?)MD Anderson 3/2
I
i found the tweet from before, the planned interview date was 4/23I thought it was interesting the interview date is 4/22 & or 23 [the wording was somewhat confusing] but I could’ve sworn their tweet months ago announced it being May 14, only 1 date, w/ invites going out first week in March. Did they call an audible and do 2 dates? (Anybody get an invite for the May date?)
Whoa you’re right. Interview dates overload I guessi found the tweet from before, the planned interview date was 4/23
City of Hope 3/9
And I think that's all she wrote...
And I think that's all she wrote...
herbollomieu
New Member
Hope everyone did well on the match
Surgonconista
New Member
what did you guys think of programs; interviewing this year and they all look the same to me
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 7K