Surgical Oncology Fellowship (2023 Start) Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone heard from UChicago?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard from UChicago?
Nope. Which is a bit odd since they are the first program on the calendar [2/7] UNLESS they go the route a few programs have and only opt for the 1 date [the other date is 5/7]...

Yeah, I got UChicago on 1/18 via ERAS.

Has anyone heard from the Canadian programs yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I received an invitation from Mount Sinai today that said they wanted to make sure I received my invitation that they originally sent out 1.5 weeks ago through the ERAS scheduler. They said people are reporting problems with ERAS. It was the first notice I received from them and I still don’t have a scheduler invitation. No one else has reported receiving Mount Sinai yet unless I missed it. It seems like other programs have had similar issues

Hello All! I am entering a plea for anyone who has availability to open up spots at Wake Forrest for March 3rd. It looks like Moffitt and Wake Forrest are both interviewing April 29th. Unfortunately it is the only day for Moffitt. If anyone has the ability to switch their March 3rd Wake Forrest to the 29th that would be much appreciated by the three people on the Wake Forrest Wait List for The 3rd.

Any one heard from:
City of Hope
University of California Irvine
Strong Memorial
Saint Johns

Strong Memorial is Roswell Park. It was one of the first to offer
Strong is Rochester, and Roswell Park is Buffalo. Separate academic affiliations, and about an hour apart.

Now, I'm not surg onc. I'm geographically in the area. I don't know about any ad hoc relationships.

Members don't see this ad :)
Strong is Rochester, and Roswell Park is Buffalo. Separate academic affiliations, and about an hour apart.

Now, I'm not surg onc. I'm geographically in the area. I don't know about any ad hoc relationships.
You're right but the program listed on ERAS as "Strong Memorial Hospital of the University of Rochester Program" is Roswell Park in Buffalo which was one of the first programs to offer. Strong in Rochester does not have a program.

You're right but the program listed on ERAS as "Strong Memorial Hospital of the University of Rochester Program" is Roswell Park in Buffalo which was one of the first programs to offer. Strong in Rochester does not have a program.
That sounds goofy. The UR and UB systems are like UCLA and USC or UTH and Baylor. Best of luck! I was just a dumb ER doc!

Not sure if anyone has seen the data here (ERAS Statistics). When you look at the "preliminary data", "It says data is as of 1/11". For 2022, it says 78 total apps to CGSO. For 2021, it says 76 total apps.

Compare that to the NRMP data from last year (https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/Surgical-Oncology-_AY2021.pdf). It says there were 76 applicants and 66 matched.

Overall, applications look to be stable from last year. There will be 78 applicants for 66 spots.

Yeah, I got UChicago on 1/18 via ERAS.

Has anyone heard from the Canadian programs yet?

I've heard from UBC and Calgary so far. Not sure about Toronto or Ottawa. I think McGill is not participating this year right?

Anyone canceled interviews that they previously accepted? How much of an issue (considered rude or improper) do programs find doing so? [maybe @Lem0nz or others could add thoughts here if you don't mind]

It's getting to the point where the total number is burdensome and a few programs remain that I'd prefer over others already accepted, but also don't want to burn any bridges or be rude in informing a few programs that I no longer want to participate in their program's interview. And as previously mentioned, I like the idea that doing so might give someone else an opportunity to interview there.

Several of the coordinators at my program for other fellowship (we don't have surg onc) said its not problematic unless it's last minute. Also would be nice for those with less interviews for sure!

Totally fine. As others have said do it sooner than later.

From the program perspective: The surg onc fellowships essentially never scramble so they’re not really super upset; they will all match someone, and nearly everyone applying and being interviewed is a well qualified candidate. The field self selects very, very well.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone have an overview over which programs are still pending sending out invites?

MD Anderson mentions on their homepage that interviews will go out in March, although that seems kinda late in the game. Guess the big names in the game can afford it...

Does anyone have an overview over which programs are still pending sending out invites?

MD Anderson mentions on their homepage that interviews will go out in March, although that seems kinda late in the game. Guess the big names in the game can afford it...
There are some question marks remaining: has anyone received invites to Saint John's (John Wayne), Irvine, or City of Hope?

MDA has always seemed to send out invites fairly late.

There are some question marks remaining: has anyone received invites to Saint John's (John Wayne), Irvine, or City of Hope?

MDA has always seemed to send out invites fairly late.
Haven't heard from any of them. I believe Toronto is pending as well.

UC Irvine 3/1

City of Hope tweeted they would send invites 2/28 but I haven't received one. MD Anderson tweeted that interviews would go out this week but haven't received one.

MD Anderson 3/2
I thought it was interesting the interview date is 4/22 & or 23 [the wording was somewhat confusing] but I could’ve sworn their tweet months ago announced it being May 14, only 1 date, w/ invites going out first week in March. Did they call an audible and do 2 dates? (Anybody get an invite for the May date?)

I
I thought it was interesting the interview date is 4/22 & or 23 [the wording was somewhat confusing] but I could’ve sworn their tweet months ago announced it being May 14, only 1 date, w/ invites going out first week in March. Did they call an audible and do 2 dates? (Anybody get an invite for the May date?)
i found the tweet from before, the planned interview date was 4/23

Anyone else having trouble getting the zoom links for Northwell?

what did you guys think of programs; interviewing this year and they all look the same to me