1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Surgical residencies for DO's

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by hotinwoof, Jul 28, 2002.

1. hotinwoof

7+ Year Member

Does anyone know exactly if a DO can become more than just specialize in internal med and become as high as a thoracic surgeon? I heard that as a DO I might as well not even try to get into this allopathic enclave. Any DO's out there who is already a thoracic surgeon and can give some advice on how to get there and compete against MD students for the precious few spots available in the teaching hospitals? thnx.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Of course DO's can become surgeons, cardiothoracic surgeons, psychiatrists, and all that jazz.

Do people just post that question so that everyone digs up their "I know a DO who is a blah blah blah"?

4. hotinwoof

7+ Year Member

I already know there are cardiothoracic DOs. A web search produced the facts. I just wanted to know the barriers thrown in a DO students way more so than a MD students.

5. Popoy

Popoy SDN Super Moderator
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Pretty sure that it's like any other barriers an MD has to go through.... that is if you don't have the board score, grades, and the right people to get to know such as residents, deans, etc.... then count your chances goodbye....

I don't think you'll find a straight answer.... Ask yourself what kind of barriers do MD's have to go through to get such residencies and you'll get your answer as well.

6. apgar7

apgar7 Member
    7+ Year Member

Actually, it is a bit harder for a DO to become a cardiothoracic surgeon, but this is only because there tends to be fewer surgical residency slots for application compared to MD's. Furthermore, MD surgical residencies tend to accept MD's over DO's, probably because they feel some sort of loyalty to MD's. In any case, I honestly don't see this situation as that big of a deal because if you truly want to be a cardiothoracic surgeon, then it will show in your behaviors. That is, you will work hard and be good at what you do, and your superiors will notice this. If you say you want to be a surgeon but your behaviors show you taking it easy, then your chances diminsh. How badly do you want it?