Best pieces of advice for an incoming DO student aiming for a surgical residency spot?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMicks

Reaction score
Title says it all. Looking for advice, especially for pre-clerkship years. Incoming student at CCOM next year with a subjectively strong background in surgery. Hoping to go into ortho.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m pretty sure you already know how strong your app needs to be: lots of research, high scores, excellent grades, etc. So I’m gonna tell you what NOT to do:

1) DON’T waste your time studying with methods that are low yield and don’t work. Note taking, Anki (when used incorrectly), etc are not the best bang for your buck.

2) DON’T blow off step 1. Yes, it’s an easy test to pass. But you need to develop a solid foundation for step 2.

3) DON’T get bogged down with a research project that won’t go anywhere. You only have 3 years to build a long publication list for ortho. Don’t sink time in a publication that is just not going to happen. Learn when to cut your losses.

4) DON’T waste time with useless school clubs. This isn’t pre-med.

5) DON’T focus on what others are doing unless you feel as though implementing their approach to studying will make your own more efficient

Reactions: 2 users
I’m pretty sure you already know how strong your app needs to be: lots of research, high scores, excellent grades, etc. So I’m gonna tell you what NOT to do:

1) DON’T waste your time studying with methods that are low yield and don’t work. Note taking, Anki (when used incorrectly), etc are not the best bang for your buck.

2) DON’T blow off step 1. Yes, it’s an easy test to pass. But you need to develop a solid foundation for step 2.

3) DON’T get bogged down with a research project that won’t go anywhere. You only have 3 years to build a long publication list for ortho. Don’t sink time in a publication that is just not going to happen. Learn when to cut your losses.

5) DON’T focus on what others are doing unless you feel as though implementing their approach to studying will make your own more efficient
Great advice! I think the biggest hurdle is finding an Ortho lab since my school doesn't have an ortho department.

Great advice! I think the biggest hurdle is finding an Ortho lab since my school doesn't have an ortho department.
I'm at a respectable DO school, and even here research sucks. The faculty at my school does a little wet lab stuff, but they keep it so tight-lipped that they never publish, so it's not even worth working in their lab and dedicating years. So I legit started emailing every single research opportunity I could find, whether it was right next door or 800 miles away from me. I emailed most schools and most residencies that had an online presence. I even emailed some wet labs at the local MD schools. 97% of the time, people do not respond. 2.5% will respond and the answer is no. And then there's the 0.5% that you get super lucky with. My advice? Ditch your school when it comes to research and start cold emailing, it ACTUALLY works, but it'll take a few months to find someone who says yes. The yeses I received took a lot of patience, but boy, was it worth it.

Edit: I also suggest finding research opportunities that can be applied to many fields, just in case you change your mind!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Title says it all. Looking for advice, especially for pre-clerkship years. Incoming student at CCOM next year with a subjectively strong background in surgery. Hoping to go into ortho.
Did you notice the AMA thread we have? The link is below:

There are other threads you can search for from prior successful ortho matches who shared their experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm at a respectable DO school, and even here research sucks. The faculty at my school does a little wet lab stuff, but they keep it so tight-lipped that they never publish, so it's not even worth working in their lab and dedicating years. So I legit started emailing every single research opportunity I could find, whether it was right next door or 800 miles away from me. I emailed most schools and most residencies that had an online presence. I even emailed some wet labs at the local MD schools. 97% of the time, people do not respond. 2.5% will respond and the answer is no. And then there's the 0.5% that you get super lucky with. My advice? Ditch your school when it comes to research and start cold emailing, it ACTUALLY works, but it'll take a few months to find someone who says yes. The yeses I received took a lot of patience, but boy, was it worth it.

Edit: I also suggest finding research opportunities that can be applied to many fields, just in case you change your mind!
Did you just google search research labs and call/email them?

1) Find a mentor. As a DO probably a community orthopedist. The more academic ties they have the better but the most important thing is they write you the most bomb letter or rec and if they know of any research send it your way.

2) Do well in school.
3) Do awesome at boards. Budget to buy a few high quality study resources like BNB, Pathoma and Sketchy. Learn the big picture.
4) Recognize your school probably has zero resources to help you and be willing to cold call/email people 3rd year to find someone or anyone to teach you what you need to know
5) Kill your Sub internships

This OP - especially #4 and $5

Reactions: 1 user

If I may respectfully add, do NOT get behind.

On the networking and research front, find time to go to the society meetings; local, state, national.
There's usually a student track at the national ones and you can make connections with PDs, PIs, fellows, and residents.

Tap any and every personal connection you can remotely get your hands on, alumni are great for this.
Personal reccs are worth 100x a cold call.

Be persistent, most people are busy and won't respond on first contact, give it some time, follow up.
It shows dedication and follow through, but don't be annoying.

what do you mean by using anki incorrectly

Look on the SAOAO instagram. There is a webinar on matching ortho the end of this month.

As someone who just graduated from a DO program, Ortho will be an uphill battle, mainly because most DO schools will not have an in-house residency program at their rotation sites.

I didn't apply ortho, but I think these pointers can help:

Don't procrastinate in school, figure out a study style that suits you (handwritten notes, Anki, spaced repetition, etc..), don't use too many resources, and lastly play nice in your rotations so you can get good Evaluations.

I'd also apply for elective rotations ahead of time, and choose them in programs that have taken DOs in the past. You might have to dual-apply in a different field too

100% agree. This worked wonders for me my first year. Also use Twitter to your advantage. A lot of residents and 3rd/4th years have an active Twitter presence and you can find opportunities through them as well.