Surgical Training Military Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knock0ut

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are several older posts about surgical residency training at military residencies being subpar compared to civilian programs, especially in terms of volume. But I'm wondering if that is still the case. I'm especially interested in knowing about ophtho, ENT, Ortho, Urology rather than general surgery, but hearing about any surgical training would be helpful. Please don't post if you're just going to talk about the stereotype...I think what would be helpful would be for people who have trained or rotated at a surgical residency to post, or if you have at least spoken with someone who has had first-hand experience. It would also be interesting for anyone who has done a surgical residency to comment on whether or not really high volume = really good residency, because I imagine that even if the military does not have the highest volume, that doesn't necessarily make it a sub-par residency program.

Members don't see this ad.